Thinking of recycling my phone....questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by whos mother, Feb 27, 2013.

1. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi can anyone tell me if these recycle your phone places are pretty fair...or do they fin some minor thing to rip you off...if everything is above board it seems too easy and hassle free to get rid of your phone that way

I am thinking of recycling my s3 I will get roughly £235 depending where i send it,however

I bought the phone privately and i assume it was a contract phone for somebody a few months ago,ive no idea i just bought it off gumtree...will i get pulled up on this am I allowed to recycle it,or will they realise the phone was on contract to such and such

i dont want to send 235 worth of phone off for them to start playing silly buggers...but I dont want the ebay/gumtree hassle of timewasters and knobheads

2. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    I've sent a couple off and never been a question of it being on contract or not. Not sure they'll bother as the contract is still valid without a phone for it.

The only issue would be if the person who's contract it was played up and reported it lost/stolen but as they haven't done it since you've had it that doesn't seem likely.

And I always took photo's of the condition and sent recorded just to make sure it got there in the same condition I sent it :)

3. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,284
    If you can get more for it on ebay/gumtree or the classifieds here then use them. If you do decide to go to the recycling route DO NOT use cash4phones

Cash for Phones, Mobile Phone Recycling - Sell & Trade in, Cash4phones.co.uk

Im having a dispute with them at the moment regarding a phone i sent off. They initially offered £130 for an xperia phone i sent them which really was in great condition. I got a plain plastic envelope through the post (no padding) and so sent it packed myself. A few days later i get a confirmation email so i sign into the account to see a status of "Rejected" with the reason being excessive scratching on the screen!!! Next to it was an offer of £45 :rolleyes:

So i rejected the offer only to be taken to a screen that advised i would be charged £9 for the return of the phone. My own fault for not reading the terms and conditions properly but it was well hidden!

As it stands i complained about this and the lies about the phone condition and threatened trading standards and watchdog and received another email saying its been regraded and they will up the offer to £127. :facepalm:

Ive basically advised i want that amount credited to my account in the next 7 days or the phone returning. Its been a horrible experience but its partly my own fault as i should of researched them first.

Lesson learned.

4. esulp

esulp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Damn...a day late. I just sent my old phone off to them yesterday :rolleyes:

Some sites mention not taking phones that are in contracts, so you really have to check the T's and C's.

I've used fonebank before for a couple of phones in the past and they pay what they quote pretty fast. They aren't always the highest paying though...which is why I tried cash4phones...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    I used Mazuma once, worked well and they paid up really quickly for all 3 phones. All were locked to three and the last was in contact, they didn't really care that much

6. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,284
    Keep me posted on how you get on mate.

7. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    in the end i sold it to a local shop for £215,its a bit under the £230 recycled but instant cash in the hand is worth 20 more possibly in a week or two) and £65 above what CEX would pay:eek:

it was on gumtree for a bit at 240 because the back was damaged (brown stain off a snugg case:thumbsdow)and im sick of playing email and text ping pong with idiots:laugh:

8. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
  9. esulp

esulp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've just got my offer from them and it's lower than the initial offer, but still higher than they are offering on the site now.
    The original offer was for about 130. New offer is 108. Site now offers 80...so taking everything into account I'll accept.
    The reason for the lower offer was moderate wear and tear which I'd agree with I guess.

Much preferred dealing with fonebank.

10. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    every site i see just says working price it mentions things that have to work but disregards condition

11. esulp

esulp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Cash4phones "assess" the phone and revises the offer. A couple of other sites ask you to grade your phone and then will check it.

12. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Phone Recycling, Recycle Mobile - Mazuma Mobile

dosent mention condition even when you click on definition of working

i assume its hidden in the next layer still under terms and conditions,thats three clicks past entering your phone model

if so i hate how they dont just put grades A,B,C etc on the front page

even the disgrace that is CEX put the gradings on every page clear as day

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  13. fastfuse

fastfuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I used o2 recycle, gives you the gradings clearly in the T&C's and you can drop the phone in store to eliminate potential problems with posting it.