Thinking of of setting up microsoft media center

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike TV, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of setting up media center but due to the space I have available the DVD player will become my main option for playing DVDs can anybody tell me if the quality when playing a DVD through a computer to a tv is reduced. If so does anybody have any suggestions

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

You'd probably be better off posting this in the HTPC forum as there are many MCE users there.

That said, I'm bemused by what your saying about space and the DVD player. If you're setting up a PC to run MCE you'll have a DVD drive in it I'd have thought so there'd be no need for a separate player.

Perhaps I'm confused as to what you're saying. :)

However, to answer your question, a DVD player feeding RGB into a capture card like a Sweetspot could easily produce a better PQ than feeding the TV directly ... again, depending on the equipment involved. Need more details of your setup to be able to give you some solid advice.

3. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for your reply

Forgive me I am new to this and am not sure of the set up yet, but what I am saying is that the media center will be taking the place of my existing DVD player which I will be getting rid of, and I am worried that the quality of a DVD played through a computer won't be as good a purpose made player which only has that job to do. Would it be wise to spend as much as I can afford on the graphics card?

Thanks also for the advice on the other forum didn't have clue where I had posted this :confused:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No problem, web boards can be confusing to start with :) .. I mentioned it not in any way to criticise, just that you'll find people there who may not drop by this forum as they don't have a DVD player.

Have no fear, a PC will give a picture equal to or better than most DVD players costing less than 4 figures, and depending on how much effort you want to put into it the quality can be a lot better .. my HTPC produces a far better picture than my Pioneer 868 does on its' own.

As for the graphics card, you don't need to spend very much at all, many poeple use a Radeon 9600SE which'll cost around £50, while others use NVidia 6600s which start around £125 .. you'll find plenty of discussion about these over in the PC forum.

5. Mike TV

Mike TV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence taken :thumbsup:
    Thanks you've been most helpfull, i'll go have a look there

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Kragorn,
    just wondered what your setup was, as you are happy with the quality of DVD playback. Have you got MCE or something else?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't use MCE, the HTPC was for DVD playback mostly. I used TheaterTek 2.06 with a Radeon 9600. I now mainly use my Pioneer 868 via a Lumagen scaler calibrated with TLC by Gordon.

The PQ of the PC was very good, however achieving that was a long and tedious and in spite of all my attempts I couldn't achieve stutter-less playback all the time, especially having to switch between NTSC and PAL refresh rates, FFDSHOW parameters etc. When it works a PC is unbeatable value for money .. though the 868+HDP beat it in terms of PQ now .. but I just lost patience with all the on-going tweaking and twiddling needed to keep it going. :)

8. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I know what you mean. I have been pondering which route to go down with the HTPC.