Thinking of new speakers mainly for music, £200-£300 range - Kef, B&W, Quad?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sick Mouthy, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Sick Mouthy

Sick Mouthy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am currently running a pair of 7-year-old Tannoy R1s (on weighted Target stands) with a NAD C521BEE CD player and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2 amplifier (QED interconnects, Chord Company Silver Biwire cable) (all sitting on Atacama).

I upgraded to the 640A V2 back in April and have been super impressed - increased bass weight and control, imaging, treble sweetness, all-round scope, depth and width - after having had an old Denon PMA250SE.

Anyway, I have a Xmas bonus coming and a cheque from a newspaper and may just be able to justify £200-£300 on new speakers in a few weeks after Xmas, so I'd like some heads-up before I start looking to audition things.

I like a warm sound but with plenty of slam. Must NOT be overbright though. The room everything's in is quite small - actually, here's a picture;

[​IMG]

I listen to a lot of well-recorded indie/rock/dance/pop/alternative/jazz stuff - Sonic Youth, Guillemots, Orbital, Miles Davis, MAKE-UP, plus lots and lots of others - plus occasional dabblings with full-on techno, classical, ambient etcetera.

I will be running movies through them but it's an afterthought really - 80% of the system's use is music.

So far I'm thinking B&W DM601 S3s, Kef IQ3s, Quad 11Ls. Is there anything else you good people would recommend, are there any secret greats or horror stories I need to hear?

Thanks,

Nick

2. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Here's a vote for the 11L's.

Incredibly transparent and fluid delivery with a strong enough Amp (which you have), amazing stereo image.... and they really sound great with whatever music you throw at them (though I doubt if you listened to nothing but techno they would be the first choice!).

Incredible value for money when you factor in the finish on them.

Try and get an extensive demo against the other speakers you've mentioned... I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

:thumbsup:

3. Sick Mouthy

Sick Mouthy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump.

Any more opinions on this? Having had a cheque on finances and up to £400 is now realistic. The KEF iQ5 seems to get a bad rep. around here, is it not worth considering? What about Epos M5 or Monitor Audio RS1?

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    M8 i just bought a pair of B&W dm601 s3 's about two weeks ago and couldnt be happier, every kind of music sounds suberb especially classical or instumental music, quality is suberb with kevlar bass and metal dome tweeter.

My room is small so these are perfect. They are good for home theatre use as well.

Havent heard of the other speakers so cant comment. Just this speaker is great have a listen.

5. patton

patton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just bought a pair of Monitor Audio BR2's to replace my Kef Q1's i found the kefs to be very bright with my sony 3000ES reciever and at first i put them on and was a tad dissapointed, bair in mind i have cheap speaker cable which i will be replacing in a few days but i have belted them out for a few hours and WOW do they sound amazing they have come alive with sparkle and force it's amazing how bad a new pair of speakers can sound and a few hours later they have blown the kef's out of the water and they are very well built and compact go for these me sais!

6. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Had a listen of eric clapton unplugged last night and it was like being there!! A lot of clarity and warmth. Does anyone know how many hours speakers need to be broken in?

7. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    im not sure if your interested but i have a set of B&W 601 S3 in what i think is called sorrento (not sure may have completely made that up)
    They have been run in properly but hardly used after run in due to the missus
    if you decide on the B&W's and are interested drop me a pm
    These are very good speakers which i recommed when i was looking i demo'd lots of speakers and these were my favourite
    thanks