Thinking of new plasma

The Gooner

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of changing my PE30 37" panny plasma for the new TH-42P70,

Im sure pq will be greatly imroved but have just a few questions.

I have ntl digi box, will PQ be any better on new screen with this? I also have a PS3, I have it connected via componenet and its quite good, will the PQ be imroved dramatically via HDMI on new TV or will it be slight imrovment.

Also what will the panny accept, 720p/i 1080p/i,
one last Q will be SD dvds be any better on it through PS3?

Thanks for your help, will help make decision easier

only seen the 70 and no nothing about your tv so i can say is that having seen the 70 you probably will not be disapointed. Its better than its predecessor the 60. The tv excepts 720p/i and 1080p/i but bear in mind it does have 1024 by 768 screen so 1080P is a downconvert

ok thanks for that,

How will this effect HD material from PS3 (this is all I will use as HD source),

How will it display 720, would that be downscale also or will it display natural.

Not sure about these figures sorry for stupid questions.

The numbers refer to lines down the vertical field. The tv has 768 lines so is perfect for 720p. to display 1080 lines at either i or P it has to downconvert the signal to allow for 1080 lines on a 768 lines screen. this conversion should be more effective with interlaced material than progressive. With regards HD through PS3 most games are 720p and work perfectly and BD's work fine at 1080i as long as you have a good tv and you allow the tv to pass through at 1080i 0r p and let the tv do the work. the panny should be fine for this. although i still prefer my Pioneer psp 427xd

Actually converting 1080i is much harder than converting 1080p (that was to gaz2810i)

PZ700 for UK.

I noticed in an av mag. today that panasonic has a guide price of £2300 for this set. Obviously it'll be discounted in practice but still sounds a bit steep.

In the same issue, the mag. stated that hitachi are about to release 2 new ranges of plasmas including a 1080 42" for about £850. If this is the case, it sounds like a genuine bargain. Does anyone have experience of hitachi's picture quality, problems (like snakes!), etc. Is hitachi in the same league as pioneer?

The mag. definitely says that the resolution will be 1080 but is otherwise a bit vague as to whether it's interlaced or progressive. Maybe I can assume it's 1080p as I can't see why they would want to release a 1080 screen that isn't full hd - or am I missing something.

The mag. definitely says that the resolution will be 1080 but is otherwise a bit vague as to whether it's interlaced or progressive. Maybe I can assume it's 1080p as I can't see why they would want to release a 1080 screen that isn't full hd - or am I missing something.

Hitachi has 1080 line AlIs Panels on the market which is not the same as interlaced also it isnt 1920x1080 but 1024x1080 1080p isnt all that and on a 42" is rather pointless due to the screen size (too small for the benefit....)

I really wouldnt get all hung up on the resolutions more pixels dont make better picture

Maybe I can assume it's 1080p as I can't see why they would want to release a 1080 screen that isn't full hd - or am I missing something.

I expect they've sold a lot of those on that assumption

Well it looks like the panny px70 42" is going to be the one, must admit having had the panny pe30 and no issues it was probably always going to be another panny. just hope PQ is worth the extra spent on new tv:lease:

I think you will be impressed, the PX70 is the first Viera I have liked and I love the Panasonic commercials.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom