• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thinking of going for Anthem - Speaker Advice please

martimu

We are going to embark on an extension in the coming months and I'm going to try and use it as an excuse to update the home cinema.

I am only interested in films and TV not music (I've spent the last few years sorting out the hifi I'm fortunate to have this separate to the AV)..

Given that I'm not fussed about the bells and whistles - streaming and spotify etc I'm thinking that the Anthem MRX 310 would be a good bet (I'm also realistically not likely to go more than 5.1). The problem is there are not really any dealers near me so speakers are the main issue I'm struggling with.

Room will be about 3.7m x 3.7m. They will need to be sub sat or perhaps in walls. the other thing is I'm wondering about is if I should be looking at dipoles or similar for the rears for a better spread of sound (sofa likely to up against the wall)

What recommendations for around £1500 to £2000 mark?
It seems like Anthem work closely with Paradigm but they seem a little scarce in the UK so not sure about what range would suit my requirements if I was to give them a go

FWIW I currently use a denon 3802 with KEF 2005.2's

Also any dealers out there that cover St Albans/ Watford area please feel free to drop me your details so I can start a dialogue when i start moving this forward would be great.

Thanks

Martin

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I use an Anthem with five Apex A40 and a Paradigm sub. All fits together well but those speakers and that sub would be more than 2 grand. You might get a standard Apex set, which includes four A10's, for around that mark but the sub is often said to be the weak link. You can buy the Apex individually and another sub if you want.

martimu

Thanks will check out the Apex ones. Budgets not set but realistically 2k is going to be a good guide

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Must admit I started with a standard apex set but sold the four a10s and replaced with four a40s. They are just better speakers, though there is nothing wrong with the a10s at all. Bk elec are often tipped here for value subs. I've used an xks200 and a monolith plus with my apex at various times. They do a good job, are cheapish but the monolith is huge and probably not suitable in a smallish space. I couldn't live with the size and got something less barmy.

martimu

Can see why you swapped to the larger speakers but would be the 10's size wise for me. Though I have to admit the R90HT1 have caught my eye too

Have you tried the Anthems with dipoles or tripoles?

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
Give dan at movie rooms a call for an anthem, I use tripoles with my 510 and they are brilliant, unfortunately I've had to pack it all up for 4 months while I get another house so possibly going to sell my mk m4t tripoles as need everything I can get for house deposit

martimu

I'd also check out the Monitor Audio Shadow speakers as well. They pair extremely well with the Anthem MRX

Wouldn't have considered these as the cross over point seems higher than desirable. But maybe should be fairer in giving them a go!

martimu

Give dan at movie rooms a call for an anthem, I use tripoles with my 510 and they are brilliant, unfortunately I've had to pack it all up for 4 months while I get another house so possibly going to sell my mk m4t tripoles as need everything I can get for house deposit

Good luck with the house move. I'd pretty much assumed that M&K were not really on the radar price wise. I'm wondering what could be accommodated with the sofa stuck up against the rear wall. That's why I thought that dipoles would be work looking at. Or even some omni's

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
Thanks, if you could pull the sofa even 20cm off the back wall it would be better than nothing, the tripoles worked really well for me like that. Mk maybe out of your price for a full new set but I'm only after £190 for the tri's

martimu

Looking at the room configuration I now suspect that I may have to go for a complete in ceiling system. So back to the drawing board for a whilst investigate options! Thanks for input everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom