• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thinking of going Atmos

MarkE19

upload_2019-3-17_18-6-32.png

So the above is the layout of my lounge and furniture can be adjusted but not really moved around as this is primarily a family living room rather than a cinema room.
Sofa is stuck against the wall due to space and the tV sits on the unit directly opposite it.

Room is approx 5.2m by 3m

My current kit is listed below in my signature but the processor and all speakers (except maybe the sub) will be replaced. I am thinking of getting the Marantz SR7012/3 or perhaps the SR8012 (suggestions welcome) but not sure about the best speaker package to get. Total budget is ~£3,000 for speakers & receiver, but preferably less.

I am assuming a 5.1.2 layout is going to fit my room best? But I need help with the best speaker layout.
I am thinking of floorstanding front speakers as I will use the system for some music listening. But main uses will be 60% TV, 30% movies and 10% music.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

gibbsy

Audio will always sound better travelling along the length of a room, so your best position for your display will be where the desk is on the left hand wall, but that's pretty much knackered by the door. Your other alternative is compromised by a window(?).

You are basically going to have the room as per your plan with the sofa in it's current position. Although in this position you will have enough room either side for floorstanders but I don't think they will be your best option. The surrounds would be better as bi-poles unless there is more room than that indicated by the plan behind the sofa.

5.1.2 is certainly your maximum. Two options here with in ceiling fixed above the seated knee position of the sofa or upfiring modules.

MarkE19

Under the window is where the TV used to be - then the wife moved in and decided otherwise :(

Floor standing speakers were my idea just for front left/right. I am looking for wall mounted for the surrounds.

Upfiring speakers at the front for Atmos was my main idea as I'm rubbish with DIY so would need somebody to install ceiling speakers, but if they give the best sound then maybe I will go that route.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom