Question Thinking of going acoustically transparent with in walls - advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by barry7767, Nov 12, 2016.

1. barry7767

barry7767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    I currently have a React 2.1 ambient light rejecting screen. My next upgrade was originally planned to be to XTZ Cinema LCR. However, the increased size of the speakers would mean either raising the height of the screen, or replacing the unit below to something smaller.

So it got me thinking; speakers behind the screen, with AT material. This causes problems for me however:

1) The door will need covering with Devore, especially if I lose my React screen, for something like Filmex. I sit pretty close so would need a material which won't show its structure.

Do you think if I cover the side walls by 1m (just over the width of the door), and the ceiling out to 0.6m (spot lights prevent any more), this will cut down enough on reflections enough to allow a screen such as Filmex? Something like this.

IMG_20161112_102514.jpg
    The walls are flat matt Dulux grey steel 2, celings 3. I'd paint a darker grey too I think. I'm likely going to do this and the devore covering regardless of screen and speakers.

2) the room is small and the door is right up to the screen wall, so I don't have the option of a false/baffle wall. This raises questions over the feasibility of placing speakers in the wall, which is 100mm concrete block, though is non load bearing. Can openings be cut without affecting the integrity of the wall to support itself? The wall in question is is between the utility and dining room - utility joists run as per dining room.

Ground floor B regs.JPG

If this is feasible, would something like M&K IW-95 be of similar spec/performance as the XTZ? I know that is subjective, but just after a ball park as I've demo'd the XTZ and would be after something of similar quality. Any advice appreciated - thanks.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,202
    You can bring the velvet out further on the ceiling, and still recess the lights through holes in the velvet. I did that at my last place.

Filmex is low gain so will have a similar effect as a simple grey screen with respect to reflecting less light, so will be an improvement over a unity gain screen. Drawback is that it doesn't have the darker colour. That should be offset by the velvet on the walls and ceiling.

How wide is the door? I have reduce doors in the past, in some cases using a 2ft wide door, both times were for bathrooms. If you can do that, you will free up enough inches to install a stud wall to put speakers into - usually in-walls only need 4 inches which is the usual depth of a stud wall.

Or could you revers the room and have the screen at the window end?

3. Jag @ Epic Home Cinema

Jag @ Epic Home Cinema
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,245
    A door stop for the door ought to prevent it being opened into a speaker.

Is this a dedicated room? If so, come out into the room with Devore or an alternative dark velvet and paint the inside of that door black. Alternatively, wrap some Devore onto a 6-9mm MDf sheet and pin that to the door itself. Bring the framework out and stick the XTZ LCR behind it - on wall and enjoy the boundary gain plus punchier imaging from your front wall of sound.

4. barry7767

barry7767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Thanks Gary and Jag. Reversing the room isn't an option to be honest; the door would be open into the sofa and I'd lose throw distance as the PJ is half in the bay as below. IMG_20161112_144727~2.jpg

So working with the same layout, as a really simple measure I could bring the wall forward and cover the exposed door frame at that side, which gives 12cm without moving/narrowing the door, enough to recess an in wall. Might look weird, but if all covered in Devore no one will see. (I've removed a small devore frame to expose below).
    IMG_20161112_145752.jpg

The other problem is that bringing the front wall forward reduces my throw distance. It's only a small room and I'm about on the limit of zoom. It throws around 100", my screen is 95" - so got a little bit of play but not much.

I will cover door in Devore too, that's a plan regardless. Just don't think I can squeeze XTZ behind screen, though could be placed to sides and below with a lower av unit. Just figuring out best options to make sure I get it right.

5. Bilimoria

Bilimoria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    If you projector allow vertical starch you could find second hand anthropomorphic lens to achieve bigger for same throw distance. This will use full for all 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 ration movies. I also use this lens for 16:9 movie by changing projector to 4:3.