Thinking of giving up Sky.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by smallmanongn, Oct 13, 2005.

1. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still toying with the idea at the moment as I love the Discovery channels but seeing as that is mostly what I watch I dont think I can justify the £35 a month just to watch repeats all the time!
    I am getting getting a DVD recorder with a Freeview tuner built in,but at some point will need to have an ariel fitted.
    I know I can use the Sky dish to get the Freeview channels but that seems a bit of a waste of time with the Freeview tuner already being in the DVD recorder.
    Is cancelling Sky painless and do you have give so many days notice,I take it if you cancel part way through a month you still have to pay for the whole month?

2. jxp

jxp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You have to call up to cancel. You only need to give 30 days notice.
    You will pay a month in advance so when you cancel you might have to pay for part of the next month. It just depends when you cancel and when you pay.

Sky will try and talk you out of it. They generally offer you half price for 3 months. I have also had a couple of calls since cancelling trying to tempt me back.

I have not missed Sky at all since cancelling. I'm very happy with the channels available on Freeview. I'm much happier to be saving £250 pounds each year.

Note that when you cancel Sky you do not continue to receive all the Freeview channels via the Sky box. e.g. UK History, E4, More4 (maybe abc1 as well) are all subscription channels on Sky. You will get BBC, ITV channels and plenty more besides.

I didn't need a new aerial, just a booster, only cost me £85 and I live in an area that the Freeview site says cannot receive Freeview.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Depends on your contract - you may have signed up for 12 months and still be inside that, in which case they may not let you cancel or hit you with a penalty clause. Otherwise you need 30 days notice.

Keep the box anyway and use it as a Freesat system - it makes a good partner to Freeview as there are a few extra channels on it (and a few missing, too).

Gav

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Then why pay £35?

Downgrade to a two mix pack for £15 a month, one of them being the Knowledge Mix which contains the documentaries you like and then choose one other.

Mixes

SKY CS can be quite "aggressive" to convince you to stay and you may get a very good deal to do so (half price sorta thing), if you don't want to explain your own decision then I've read that if you tell them it's for personal reasons they won't press the point.

5. belfast-biker

belfast-biker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Good tip.

Any idea what the cancellation number is? Can't find it on their website...

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There is no official cancellation number as such, just use the usual number and they'll put you through to the brain washing department as soon as you mention cancellation:)

7. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I was a bit dubious about ditching Sky but have not regretted it since and have saved a fortune since. I have also regained my social life!!! :thumbsup: