Thinking of getting YouView from Talk Talk?

MahaRaja

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just signed a new contract with TT and see that you can register for YouView set top box for free, though we don't know when they're avialable.

I gather from reading various internet sites, that the free ISP offering would not look the same as the one people buy over the high st.

Has anyone been using it and can give some feedback.

They also offer Lovefilm free streaming for year but with my PS3 there is no HD streaming offered on it.

At the moment it looks like the are installing Humax boxes pending supplies from their linked manufacturer. Lovefilm should appear as an on demand option automatically when the app is "pushed" to your box. If it is ready, it should install on setup. You will need to confirm with them the HD quality.

lbear said:
At the moment it looks like the are installing Humax boxes pending supplies from their linked manufacturer. Lovefilm should appear as an on demand option automatically when the app is "pushed" to your box. If it is ready, it should install on setup. You will need to confirm with them the HD quality.

Is the lovefilm offer defiantly through the set top box? I contacted lovefilm and they had no knowledge of when lovefilm would be available through youview, it could just be customer services not being kept in the loop, but equally i wouldn't be surprised if talktalk were using fancy talk to give you lovefilm streaming that couldn't yet be used on the boxes. I understand some talktalk customers are trying this service so if one of those cold comment?

Is the lovefilm offer defiantly through the set top box? I contacted lovefilm and they had no knowledge of when lovefilm would be available through youview, it could just be customer services not being kept in the loop, but equally i wouldn't be surprised if talktalk were using fancy talk to give you lovefilm streaming that couldn't yet be used on the boxes. I understand some talktalk customers are trying this service so if one of those cold comment?

As an existing TalkTalk subscriber I can confirm that the Lovefilm offer works on any compatible device. TalkTalk will provide you with a special Lovefilm subscription code. You then need to set up an account with Lovefilm either via their website or other set top box app. I have my Lovefilm service running via PS3, ipad and a Samsung STB E7500. Quality is mix of very good HD and very good SD on the Samsung box. PS3 playback is described as 'High Quality' requiring min broadband speed of 3mbs - I don't think its HD but it is serviceable (your mileage may vary); ipad is also SD. I would suspect HD quality is also available via PC but have not tried this. Do not have Youview box at this time so cannot comment on that.

Yes, it was the availability of lovefilm on youview I was wondering about, I don't think it's available yet

I am a talktalk customer and switched to their fibre optic connection earlier this year. I have just upgraded to the Essentials Plus package and am interested in their YouView box. However I object to having to pay £50 installation fee. I have a Digital Stream DHR 8205 connected to my Panasonic 3D plasma and also have connected them both to my router via homeplugs. If I can do that I cannot understand what the £50 is for.
Can anyone enlighten me?

I would guess it is much the same reason as used by Virgin Media. With VM the box remains the property of the subscription service so they can't directly ask you to pay for it - as it is their property. So they use the 'installation charge' as an excuse to claw back some of their cost in providing you with the box.

Mark.

Hmmm. When I scrubbed my VM service they weren't interested in the wireless router or cable modem that they'd provided, but were insistent on getting their STB back. They sent someone round to collect it, with a firm date/time arranged. As I recall, VM had the cheek to charge me GBP25 for the STB installation, which involved someone dropping off the box at my home, telling me that the instructions were in the box. On that basis, I'd really want to know what my GBP50 was for, and whether the box is mine to keep if I choose not to renew my contract.

Clem

how long is the wait from taking up talk talk broadband to getting the youview service?

how long is the wait from taking up talk talk broadband to getting the youview service?
From post #1 of this thread:
Just signed a new contract with TT and see that you can register for YouView set top box for free, though we don't know when they're avialable.

Mark.

Mark just asking for an update.:-*

Anyhow does anyone know if a youview box bought independently of talktalk on the talk talk broadband network will get the talktalk app

Bt are allowing access on their network to their app to people who bought a youview box themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
const1112 said:
Mark just asking for an update.:-*

Anyhow does anyone know will a youview box bought independently of talktalk will used on the talk talk broadband network will get the talktalk app

Bt are allowing access on their network to their app to people who bought a youview box themselves.

As I understand it, if you bought a box and had talktalk as ISP then you would be able to access their content as the box would recognise the provider, I don't know for certain however as I don't have talktalk as ISP as I use wireless provider for better speeds and connection. Has talktalks app launched then or is it still on trial?

Ooops, just posted re TalkTalk and their "FREE" install, would have made sense to post here, may be MOD can merge them?

This is what I posted

"I am a TalkTalk customer and have been for a few years, I get decent down load speed, and the service has been mostly reliable. I noticed the other day they are offering YouView - FREE - for exisitng customers... So I thought I would upgrade online... so enter my details, get to the order page. They want £50 for an installer to fit - LOL.

So anyone got around this, I am happy to pick up the phone and speak to them, but I presume they insist on an installer, I have noticed the also offer Homeplugs at £25 each, so for some people thats £100 all in! Not quite free.

I guess they don't really want customers like me, happy to install myself, happy with the basic package etc."

Last edited:

Anyhow does anyone know if a youview box bought independently of talktalk on the talk talk broadband network will get the talktalk app

According to this page there is a difference in services offered between the Humax and Huawei boxes.

There are also some differences between the two boxes, the Huawei only has 320GB of storage according to this page.

Ooops, just posted re TalkTalk and their "FREE" install, would have made sense to post here, may be MOD can merge them?

I'm also annoyed about the "free" install (with homeplugs extra) and not being able to install it myself. BT I believe, do charge a £49 "activation fee" but this does include the homeplugs and they then send you the box to install yourself.

crockett said:
I'm also annoyed about the "free" install (with homeplugs extra) and not being able to install it myself. BT I believe, do charge a £49 "activation fee" but this does include the homeplugs and they then send you the box to install yourself.
Are these fees for everyone? I swear I read somewhere they were for existing customers who have to essentially resign up for a new contract

Are these fees for everyone? I swear I read somewhere they were for existing customers who have to essentially resign up for a new contract

I'm not sure but I can believe it! I've decided to give the "free" box a miss. If I do decide to get a Youview box at some point I'll buy the make of my choice and install it myself :)

Its a shame if it is, I quite like the look of talk talks service but that fee and the small 320gb hard drove is really off putting. Might opt for the bt one as they are giving out the humax boxes and hopefully it sounds like they are investing big in youview and delivering more TV content. I mean you don't buy premiership football rights if you aren't planning a way to deliver them

It has been published in this thread that the disc size is only 2/3rds the size of a humax box. This may be OK for someone who is predominently going to use some of other streaming apps rather than recording - but if not then 320gb is pretty small for any level of HD recording.

You also should not presume that if you were to be given an option to self-install the TalkTalk box that the box will include all the items that you may reasonably presume essential - is in the box. You have mentioned home plugs but you shouldn't presume that the box includes network cable, fly lead to allow your signal to pass to the TV, scart or HDMI cable, instructions ........unless it specifically says it does. Otherwise it may simply be the box and the plug.

Last edited:
The available hard disc size is actually 290Gb as 30Gb is system reserved for "pushed content"

Had 2 Sky + boxes over the years, the last one died a couple of weeks ago.
Also been with Talk Talk for years previously Tiscali.
Have always been satisfied with their offerings and service.
I first heard of Youview as my Sky + died so considered the Humax as a replacement.
My Broadband speed was only 2.2 so I had the Superfibre upgrade done by Openreach this morning.
The engineer arrived at 8-10 and left at 9-40, leaving a very satisfied customer. He made some alterations to my internal wiring, strolled down to the nearby fibre cabinet and tested upon his return. My first test at 9-45 showed 37.86 down and 1.84 up. As I now satisfy the criteria I have just ordered installation of my Talk talk YouView for the 17th October.
I am very satisfied as even with the fibre upgrade I will be saving money. I know I will be paying Talk Talk for some time, but I was paying that even without Youview, so in my eyes it is free. I am happy to pay £50 to have the equipment installed and fully set up, although as a retired IT man I am capable of setting up most equipment.
I am paying for complete peace of mind.
Looking forward to the 17th and no longer having to get the laptop out, connecting up HDMI and the finding what I want to see navigating through several screens. ps, there is no way my wife would contemplate that or using iPlayer on our LG smart TV. The EPG will be a fantastic improvement.
Although I fitted a larger disc to my last Sky + box, it was no were near 320gb and half of what I installed was reserved by Sky for there own use, which I never used.

You may still be getting the laptop out, from all accounts the catch up programmes available are restricted compared to a PC.

Had 2 Sky + boxes over the years, the last one died a couple of weeks ago....

.... I am happy to pay £50 to have the equipment installed and fully set up, although as a retired IT man I am capable of setting up most equipment.
I am paying for complete peace of mind.
Looking forward to the 17th and no longer having to get the laptop out, connecting up HDMI and the finding what I want to see navigating through several screens. ps, there is no way my wife would contemplate that or using iPlayer on our LG smart TV. The EPG will be a fantastic improvement.
Although I fitted a larger disc to my last Sky + box, it was no were near 320gb and half of what I installed was reserved by Sky for there own use, which I never used.

Do not forget to rescue the hard drives from the Sky+ boxes. At some stage YouView should be implementing the "archive" facility so you can transfer recordings to a USB drive. The old drives may have to be formatted but you could put them in a USB enclosure for this purpose. (I'm probably trying to teach an old IT dog what he already has in mind but maybe it will be useful for other readers).

Somebody has already replaced the hard drive on the Humax model with a 1Tb version, the Huawei is likely the same but you may find that one's much smaller box is designed for 2.5 inch laptop style drives.

lbear said:
Do not forget to rescue the hard drives from the Sky+ boxes. At some stage YouView should be implementing the "archive" facility so you can transfer recordings to a USB drive. The old drives may have to be formatted but you could put them in a USB enclosure for this purpose. (I'm probably trying to teach an old IT dog what he already has in mind but maybe it will be useful for other readers).

Somebody has already replaced the hard drive on the Humax model with a 1Tb version, the Huawei is likely the same but you may find that one's much smaller box is designed for 2.5 inch laptop style drives.

How did they replace/upgrade the drive?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom