• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Thinking of getting the Orbitsound SB60

Bakey

I've never had a soundbar before and don't know much about them but as I've ordered a Samsung UE40J5100 TV today I thought I'd get one to go with it. John Lewis recommended the Orbitsound SB60 but I don't know if it will fit under the TV as I can't find the size of its stand anywhere (JL didn't have the 40" on display for me to check). If it doesn't is it OK to put the SB60 on the next shelf down under the bluray player? Or can anyone recommend another soundbar? Budget is up to £200 but would ideally spend less if I can.

Aryn86

I've never had a soundbar before and don't know much about them but as I've ordered a Samsung UE40J5100 TV today I thought I'd get one to go with it. John Lewis recommended the Orbitsound SB60 but I don't know if it will fit under the TV as I can't find the size of its stand anywhere (JL didn't have the 40" on display for me to check). If it doesn't is it OK to put the SB60 on the next shelf down under the bluray player? Or can anyone recommend another soundbar? Budget is up to £200 but would ideally spend less if I can.

So your TV is on a regular stand? ie it's not wall mounted? if this is the case you could get a soundbase and plonk your TV strait on top of it and not worry about anything getting blocked or fitting properly.

Something like the Denon DHT-110 can be had for around 170 now http://www.trustedreviews.com/denon-dht-t110-review

Bakey

So your TV is on a regular stand? ie it's not wall mounted? if this is the case you could get a soundbase and plonk your TV strait on top of it and not worry about anything getting blocked or fitting properly.

Something like the Denon DHT-110 can be had for around 170 now http://www.trustedreviews.com/denon-dht-t110-review
Thanks Aryn86, no the TV won't be wall mounted but on a TV stand. I've been looking at the Denon as well but it looks like the stand that comes with the Samsung TV will be too big to sit on a soundbase. Is it OK to put them on a shelf below the TV? Its a glass open unit so not enclosed. If not may go for the Bose Solo 5.

Aryn86

Thanks Aryn86, no the TV won't be wall mounted but on a TV stand. I've been looking at the Denon as well but it looks like the stand that comes with the Samsung TV will be too big to sit on a soundbase. Is it OK to put them on a shelf below the TV? Its a glass open unit so not enclosed. If not may go for the Bose Solo 5.

I had a similar problem with placement, Samsung and Sony are two companies that take the PI88 with their ridiculously awkward stands they tend to sometimes use.

Yeah it'll still work fine in a shelf under the TV, obviously you look for the best placement but it'll function fine anywhere you want it to, problem with Sound bars are that they don't really 'took away' like a soundbase can on a shelf, they're long and awkward when they're not wall mounted or perfectly set up infront of a TV.

Bakey

I had a similar problem with placement, Samsung and Sony are two companies that take the PI88 with their ridiculously awkward stands they tend to sometimes use.

Yeah it'll still work fine in a shelf under the TV, obviously you look for the best placement but it'll function fine anywhere you want it to, problem with Sound bars are that they don't really 'took away' like a soundbase can on a shelf, they're long and awkward when they're not wall mounted or perfectly set up infront of a TV.
Thanks for your help. I will keep an eye out for any good offers over the next few days.

Aryn86

Keep looking at others available options within your budget, don't just decide and settle on the Denon. Also pop into your local Richersounds (see if you have one close to you) and get some demos.

Bakey

Keep looking at others available options within your budget, don't just decide and settle on the Denon. Also pop into your local Richersounds (see if you have one close to you) and get some demos.
Haven't got a Richer Sounds near here unfortunately. Have got quite a few different ones I'm looking at. If no great offers anywhere this week will decide after the TV is delivered on Monday.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom