1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of getting the 37" Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RicsterG, Dec 31, 2004.

1. RicsterG

RicsterG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi. After reading some of the interesting posts on the forums for several months, I finally registered. :)

The Panny TH-37PE30 certainly sounds a good deal and after looking at it in the shops next to other models (different shops as well), it clearly was the better picture for me.

I have a couple of questions and hoping (fingers crossed) the experts here can give some advice.

My present setup is a Philips 28PW9513 (excellent set served me well) ith

-Pace Sky + Box (Ver1) in AV1 RGB Scart Gold Plated IXOS

-Sony DVD S735D Player in AV1 RGB Scart Gold Played IXOS in 3 way scart box. Final socket for PS2.

-Sony GDX500 DVD Recorder with Freeview in AV2 RGB Scart

Sony DVP-NS355 DVD Player via Scart to RGB AV1 or RGB AV2 Scart when required

Then output from Sony DVD to Marantz SR5200 amp via Gold plated Co-Ax. Other devices via Digital ouput.

Could someone please advise on the best connections from these devices to the Panny Viera 37". I've heard Progressive Scan Component is better than RGB scart. I dont think my Sony 735 has that, only component output. Been a cracking player and pic though with the scart.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

PS. Any way to turn the grey side bars on the panny to black ? :)

2. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been looking at this myself, or the 42", still yet to make my mind up, yes go for the component connection, it will be better every time, van den Hul 'Compoline' is a very good bet.

What grey bars?

3. RicsterG

RicsterG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi.

When the dealer switched to the Freeview service, it went to 4:3 mode and at the sides of the screen, instead of it being black, it was filled with grey.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Yes , this is an option you can switch on and off in the user menu to help protect against screen burn if you watch a lot of 4:3 images. After the plasma has been run in you probably wont need it.

5. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine arrived yesterday and have just finished fixing it on the wall. The thing looks gorgeous and when my denon arrives I will use component cable to connect it up.

6. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    have u seen the prices on the vieras on sharfworld.com ? damn cheap indeed
    TV - TH42PA30 + ST - Panasonic 42" Plasma TV £1699.99 delivery included

7. RicsterG

RicsterG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Okay, cheers so far :smashin:

It looks like Component from the Sony DVP 735 seems the best connection.
    It isnt labled with the Progressive lettering so I guess its not Progressive Component. Does this matter, or can the Panny compensate cause I'm really happy with this player?

And the grey screen can be turned off, interesting. You mention run-in time. How long is that? Was also reading about the levels may not be correct when it comes and give it a while before messing with the values with the DVE disk. :rolleyes:

I know that the Panny has 3 scarts, 2 of which are RGB but trying to find some screenshots on the net to see how many other connections it has i.e. component etc.,. is damn hard.

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Right, here goes.
    Progresive is supposed to be better. My player will only do progresive for N.T.S.C so I keep it off most of the time. When you have straight lines on the screen such as lines of a foot ball pitch and the grills on the front of a car you may notice a jagged edge type effect on them. Using progressive scan on your dvd player will help get rid of this type of artifact. Standard componnet conection or rgb image wise however is pretty much just as good but will suffer a bit from the jaggies.
    The run in time I mentioned is a period of time that is recommend for letting the plasma "run in" The plasma is more suceptable to screen burn and image retention within its first 200 hours of use. The ideal thing to do is to make sure your brigtness and contrast settings for this first period of time are no more than half way. After this you can then calibrate with a set up disc such as digital video essentials or avia.
    The inputs on my Viera are as follows
    VGA on the front panel
    composite video in on the front panell
    3 scarts on the back 1 is RGB, 1 is composite and svideo, 1 is composite ,rgb and svideo.
    There is alos the componenet conections on the back. phono audio out left and right and coaxial arial in.

9. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for it, had my 37" Viera up and running since Xmas day, no problems whatsoever and it makes the PQ on my 28" ctr, which I thought was good, look like s***t. The colours from a good imput are phenomanel.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Remember to put it in cinema mode for the first 200 hours of use. Make sure it's not in dynamic mode!

11. RicsterG

RicsterG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cool, thanks everyone for the advice. I will be going to the shop tomorrow in the dedicated room to see it in action one more time before placing my order :)

The overburn thing was an issue but reading what you've had to say is reassuring and I will place the settings on 50% contrast, brightness like you said, and try not to have any static images on it. Mental note, must change tv channel when using pause on sky + :smashin:

But just one more query if I may. Just found an old 37PA20 manual on the net and AV4 and AV4C are linked. It says AV4C (component input) cannot be selected while Scart RGB is connected.

Well I was thinking, if this is the case with this model. How about connecting the scart and the component, but leaving the scart machine in standby whilst I watch DVD's via component. How does that sound? Would that work?

Cheers!

12. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why's this? Ive had the telly in dynamic mode for about 5 days now (when we bought it)

cracking set by the way

13. RicsterG

RicsterG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I could be wrong, but guessing from what the guys are saying, Dynamic mode may change the contrast and brightness levels as it chooses, whereas Normal wont.

P.S. Has anyone got their 37" Viera on the smart stand? Just wondering the length of the glass shelves. I know the overall width of the tv is 104cm and I'm hoping the shelves are over 80cm. Got a Marantz to go on the bottom with DVD on top of it (need to remove the lower shelf, hope it comes out). Then top shelf need to place Sky and Center speaker side by side, since I cant put the center on top of the tv any more. Well i could, but it would be a :oops: or put Sky on the top shelf, and Center on top, (just pushing it back to behind the plasma or something)

14. RicsterG

RicsterG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well thanks for the help. Panny on its way. I'm going to have a busy weekend.

Looks like I'll be connecting the Sony 735 Dvd player via RGB scart, but I'm very tempted at that Mark Grant component cable.

Still cant decide on whether RGB scart or non progressive component is best.

15. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    RicsterG

ref the stand you may like to take a look at my recent thread .....problems with panasonic stand.... :eek:

having been down the nightmare road of trying to fit proper av components into the stand my advice would be to buy the table top stand and a seperate plasma table (eg alphason etc)

i note that recently a lot of shops etc have started to include the stand within the price - a liitle bird tells me that panasonic were not selling many of these stands and given the price of nearly £400 i'm not surprised :mad: :mad:

the bottom line is that the stand seems to have been designed to take the panasonic/similar home cinema package equipment - with no apparent consideration to those who use 'better' equipment

hope this helps and maybe saves you some money

16. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The stand was included in myu JL deal but I actuall told them not to bother even delivering it and ordered the pedestal (for exactly above reasons about wanting to fit other equipment, besides which i didn't actually like the stand).

In my excitement at getting the price match covered exhaustively in this forum (the £2499 42/stand/E55 cost towards E85) I didn't even think of getting stand delivered and ebaying it, and I asasumed there wouldn't be anyone after one! Daft as I'm a very keen eBayer and when i checked there were a few of these stands fetching around £100-200 I think.

Moral here is that there's a market for anything on eBay, and boxed/sealed stuff sells even better anyway!