thinking of getting sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gavtheskav, Jun 17, 2004.

1. gavtheskav

gavtheskav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but is it ok that i have a telewest landline or do i have to have bt

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Just a landline, get it it's great!

3. gavtheskav

gavtheskav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had sky dig around 2 years ago but ended up getting tw, i want the sky + because EVERYTHING clashes on multichanel in the evening!

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    It's not entirely without problems (check the posts). However I've been very pleased, you truely can make your own channel!

5. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    best piece of AV kit I have ever bought....

6. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You might want to hold off for a while.

I heard a rumour that they may soon be dropping the price to £99 and upping the size of the hard drive to 100GB.

7. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  8. PMF

PMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The best piece of AV kit I've ever bought. Yes occasional missed or failed recordings, but I wouldn't go back its just so handy and easy and considering what I paid for my last VCR a bargain.

9. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It doesn't matter whether your landline is BT or Telewest or anything else, you just need a phone line. I've had my version 1 for about 18 months now and had no problems apart from maybe one or two lost series links. I wouldn't wait for rumours to come true, otherwise you'd never buy anything. The other plus about Sky + is the optical digital output.

10. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I dropped telewest after four years to get sky+ and imo it isn't even a contest,
    sky+ is miles better :thumbsup:

oh yes but i kept tw phone line,it's about the only thing i have not had any problems with.

11. gavtheskav

gavtheskav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i orded it already, the optical out will go nicley with the new toshiba 36zp38 i got last friday , thanks to this forum for that btw, and for £1060 of sound & vision great service!

12. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    You wont regret it Gavtheskav for lots of reasons. Enjoy the ads while you can - many of them will be viewed 30x normal speed!

13. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How I lived with out Sky + I'll never know!
    Agree, it has it's moments which can cause you to threaten the machine with a large sledge hammer but then so does everything in this world!

14. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Interesting to note that some posters seem willing to forgive Sky+ for its mistakes. Just out of interest, how often do these mistakes or errors occur? I'm planning on getting Sky+ within the next 2 months and would like to be a little surer of the risk of error with the machine.

15. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to temp fate, but I have had Sky+ for about 8 months and had absolutley no problems at all - no failed recordings and no screwed up series links.

Although there is a lot of bad reports on here, what you need to think about is that this is an AV forum, people tend to post for advice when things go wrong. If you put into context the amount of bad reports on here against the amount of Sky+ users in the country it probably is not as bad as it is portrayed.

As many others have said, I could'nt imagine not having my sky+ now.

16. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Blueorange25, I've had 1 replacement box (link wouldn't work) & I'm guessing at 2 or 3 failed recordings since December. - Guessing as Top gear the other week failed (some failing of Sky or BBC I think), & have experienced it before. I upgraded the HDD & believe I had a failed recording on my original HDD. Other people (wife) using Sky may have contributed to these failures. As I've said before some sort of error codes would be good, part recorded or failed next to a program, or it no longer in the planner just breeds disatisfaction. I've most certainly had less 'failed' recordings on Sky than through operator error etc on my VCR. I've consigned that to the bedroom. & I probably record 3 or more things every day. It does change the way & what you view.

17. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Blueorange25, I've just read my post, & realised what it says. & it bears repeating. + has been more trustworthy than my VCR for recordings. Also my VCR has been repaired 3x (over 8 years). I'd not really thought about it this way before, as now when you buy something electronic new, you expect it to work faultlessly. I think the much older electro mechanical VCR had offered lower expectations. I don't know anyone who's not had a VCR repaired. The difference now is a well speced vid can be bought for well under £100 (£50) & may be 'throwaway' if it develops a fault. + is at an uncomfortable price point. - A lot of cash to be going wrong, not throwaway & not 'high end'. I think this may have lead to some disapointment in failed expectations. My vid was over £350 8 years ago. It worked well for several years then needed some tlc. It seemed to have done well. My + box was faulty within a week & seemed poor by comparison. I remember my parents tele being repaired several times (with recomendations where to go from similarly afflicted friends). Now I ddon't expect to be taking my tv for repair, or anything electric. If VCRs had their own forum it would be full of more complaints about reliability & failed recordings - a lot more than +. It's not perfect, but if you buy, even if there were problems, I very much doubt you'd regret it.

18. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Blueorange25, I've just read my post, & realised what it says. & it bears repeating. + has been more trustworthy than my VCR for recordings. Also my VCR has been repaired 3x (over 8 years). I'd not really thought about it this way before, as now when you buy something electronic new, you expect it to work faultlessly. I think the much older electro mechanical VCR had offered lower expectations. I don't know anyone who's not had a VCR repaired. The difference now is a well speced vid can be bought for well under £100 (£50) & may be 'throwaway' if it develops a fault. + is at an uncomfortable price point. - A lot of cash to be going wrong, not throwaway & not 'high end'. I think this may have lead to some disapointment in failed expectations. My vid was over £350 8 years ago. It worked well for several years then needed some tlc. It seemed to have done well. My + box was faulty within a week & seemed poor by comparison. I remember my parents tele being repaired several times (with recomendations where to go from similarly afflicted friends). Now I ddon't expect to be taking my tv for repair, or anything electric. If VCRs had their own forum it would be full of more complaints about reliability & failed recordings - a lot more than +. It's not perfect, but if you buy, even if there were problems, I very much doubt you'd regret it.

19. PMF

PMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I would definately recommend SKY+. In 6 months I've had it, I've had possibly less than 10 recording problems/failures. It records several programmes everyday so the failure rate is very small in my experience. The occasions it has been a problem has where it has dropped a series link or the recording has failed. Is it always SKY+ or can it be the broadcaster. I'm not certain how SKY+ gets and utilses the information to record as three of my recent failures have been with the same programme Kingdom Hospital on BBC 2, dropped series link and two partial recordings. I wouldn't go back, its changed how we watch TV. What we want, when we want and so easy to set. Live Pause and rewind is great as well. I still think its a bargain considering my other AV equiment costs.

20. gavtheskav

gavtheskav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the recording quality like is it just a little bit worse than a live brodcast?

21. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The recording is as seen. It is crystal clear just like your watching it as it is transmitted.

I to have had one missed recording, Top Gear a couple of weeks ago (which is due to be repeated on UK People in the next couple of weeks hooray!) and also a couple of series link problems which I think is the broadcasters fault rather than the box. I have also had a couple of failed recordings but thankfully they were rubbish that my wife wanted to watch, so no hardship there!!!

If you are reading this and wondering if you should take the plunge, then do it! You will never look back. I record something almost every day owing to my shift work and I can only say that the Video recorder was binned within 3 hours of having Sky + installed. I was lucky in that respect as I had collected all my movie collection on DVD (but still waiting for a few others. When will they release StreetHawk? :lease: ) and only used the video for recording off the TV. Also having a little one, recording a couple of his fav progs like boohbah and saving on there is a dream!

All I can say is it will be the best investment you will make.

22. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is exactly as if you are watching it as it is transmitted, this is because it records the data stream from the dish and not the picture like a conventional vcr / dvdr / tivo.

Bingo - no loss of quality.....