Thinking of getting Sky+HD box to replace normal Sky box

paul777

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting Sky+HD box to replace normal Sky box but I noticed it only has one input, I read a link to which I have posted below is the second input for surround sound or High Definition. Basically what would I lose out on with only one feed going into the Sky+HD box?
Thank you in advance.

I understand you need 2 wires that link into hd box for recording purposes, but i don't need the recording facility nd do not want to purchase HD channels.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If anything does say that there's a Sky PVR with only one satellite input socket then it is utter rubbish.
There's a Sky receiver that they use for multiroom installations that has only one.
Anyway the inputs have nothing to do with surround sound or high definition.
With a connection to only one of the two sockets you lose only the ability to record one programme while watching another.
There are several free HD channels so you don't have to buy the HD Pack.
I've only glanced at the link but it seems to be about the PVR's HDMI output, that does not carry Dolby 5:1 audio.

The post you have linked to is about a Sky HD box. You said in your opening post you were getting a Sky+ HD box. They aren't the same thing.

A Sky HD box has no hard drive, so can't record anything, so doesn't need two inputs. A Sky+ HD box has a hard drive, to enable it to record a channel which you are not tuned to, and therefore does require two inputs.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The post you have linked to is about a Sky HD box. You said in your opening post you were getting a Sky+ HD box. They aren't the same thing.

A Sky HD box has no hard drive, so can't record anything, so doesn't need two inputs. A Sky+ HD box has a hard drive, to enable it to record a channel which you are not tuned to, and therefore does require two inputs.
Sorry my mistake so I can't get a sky+HD box to replace DRX550. I would need 2 feeds is that correct?

Yep, that's what people who live in apartments on a communal dish with only one input do.
You said "You can set a Sky+ HD box to use only one input within settings." Do I have to specify that when setting up I remember now the input in my Mum's box that is a sky+HD box and input 2 was not in correct and the epg wasn't telling you what was on next, the next day etc. So I sorted it and the epg was fine will the epg be ok with single feed?

The post you have linked to is about a Sky HD box
But what is there to say that by that vague expression they mean a receiver and not a PVR?:confused:
The posts seem to be about a normal PVR, not the exceptional receiver.

paul777:
As I said "With a connection to only one of the two sockets you lose only the ability to record one programme while watching another".
The EPG is not affected at all and I don't see how it could be.
The same applies to Anytime+ but Anytime now called Showcase probably takes longer fully to populate.
Using only one input does work better if you specify it in the Sky menu system.

Thanks Logiciel what I lose basically is I can't record one channel and watch another correct? All the rest pause rewind, Anytime+ won't be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Logiciel what I lose basically is I can't record one channel and watch another correct? All the rest pause rewind, Anytime+ won't be affected.

Pause and rewind are only relevant on the live channel you are watching, or a previously recorded programme, neither of which require input 2.

Anytime+ recordings, except for the Showcase material, is downloaded via the internet, not the satellite dish, so again doesn't require input 2.

Showcase material on Anytime+ is downloaded via the satellite dish - and only having a single tuner connected obviously will affect the speed with which all material can be downloaded - as when the one tuner is in use no satellite downloads can take place, and when the box is not in use (i.e. in Standby) only one thing can be downloaded at once, whilst a box with two tuners connected can download two different Anytime programmes at the same time.

I am getting there I promise sorry for all the hastle all I need to know now is that I can download while watching a channel but only one download at a time, or do you mean can't download cause showcase is constantly downloading.

I am getting there I promise sorry for all the hastle all I need to know now is that I can download while watching a channel but only one download at a time, or do you mean can't download cause showcase is constantly downloading.

Your downloads take priority over Anytime downloads. Most Anytime downloads take place overnight - while the box is in Standby. If you are watching anything live, Anytime won't download anything because there isn't a spare tuner. If you are downloading anything (with the box in Standby), Anytime won't download anything because there isn't a spare tuner.

If Anytime is downloading something when you switch the box on and start watching - or when a future planner entry starts recording, Anytime will cancel its download - and restart when you have put the box back into standby and it has finished recording.

What you are doing always takes priority over the Anytime stuff going on in the background - just as it would if you had two tuners. If you were watching something using one tuner, and recording something else using the second, Anytime wouldn't download anything. If the box was in standby but recording two seperate channels simultaneously, Anytime wouldn't download anything.

Only when there is an unused tuner available will Anytime burst into life.

Thank you for your knowledge and very detailed information on this, sorry to you and everyone else for all my questions about this. Your help is very much appreciated, just need to win on ebay now. :)

That's correct, and Broadz has, as you say, given very detailed information that explains my comments.;)

You're welcome, and I'd make the AVF selling forum my primary source for a replacement machine.

:thumbsup:

paul777:
As I said "With a connection to only one of the two sockets you lose only the ability to record one programme while watching another".
The EPG is not affected at all and I don't see how it could be.
The same applies to Anytime+ but Anytime now called Showcase probably takes longer fully to populate.
If the box is a DRX890/895 both full use of the EPG and Anytime/Showcase require that the box is not put into "deep standby/off" when not in use and the box is left in "standby" when not being used to view. Both the EPG and Anytime/Showcase require use of a tuner to populate them.
Using only one input does work better if you specify it in the Sky menu system.
Recording will very rarely work (unless the box is on the channel to be recorded) if you do not specify "single feed mode".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom