Thinking of getting an XBOX360 - couple of questions

texasboy

Banned
I am really tempted to get myself a 360 over the coming weeks and have a couple of questions that hopefully some hardened 360 users can advise me on.

I have a Pioneer 506XDE plasma, what is the best method for connecting the 360 to for HD, component or VGA? Am I right in thinking they both work in HD

My router is in another room and running a cable from the 360 to it will be a bind (although not impossible) - are there any wireless methods such as a bridge or gaming access point or something I can use instead or does the 360 have built in wireless anyway or is running a cable the best option (would need to be about 10m)

And last but not least what the HD-DVD addon like?

I've checked the 360 FAQ and maybe I'm blind so if anyone can answer the above I would be very grateful!

Cheers

Tex

noshoulders

Novice Member
1) i reckon VGA looks better than component. It gets argued both ways.

2) Loads of options, "home plugs" send ethernet signal thru your existing electrical sockets. You can get wireless adaptors, and it's not built in.

3) Haven't got the HDDVD yet.... hopefully someone else can help.

jamo9000

Novice Member
In terms of Live access.

Homeplug is an option just another option you may consider.

If you already have a laptop/pc connected wirelessly to the router you can use this to provide the xbox 360 with internet.

All you need to do is connect a network (cross over cable) from pc/laptop to the 360 and use ICS to share the internet connection.

Yes the pc/laptop must be turned on to provide the internet access - but it beats paying £50 odd for the xbox wireless adapter.

Just another option albeit a very good cheap temporary solution

I use this option when taking the 360 to the girlfriends house as her room is nowhere near the router!

lansalot

Novice Member
My router is in another room and running a cable from the 360 to it will be a bind (although not impossible) - are there any wireless methods such as a bridge or gaming access point or something I can use instead or does the 360 have built in wireless anyway or is running a cable the best option (would need to be about 10m)
Either grab hold of a wireless access point that supports bridging to your router, or bite the bullet and cough for the 360 wireless adapter..

texasboy

Banned
Thinking about it running a cable from the back of the 360 through to my router is dead easy. Although it's a long run I can do it by lifting only 2 floorboards. The joists in our house (very old) run in all different directions and I'll only need to drill one hole. Before the floor when down 90% of the joists had holes for cabling put in......it'll only take an hour to do.

Is an RJ45>RJ45 the right type???

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom