• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thinking of getting aGS2 but have some questions

cyberdude

Now that my museum piece HTC Wizard running custom WM6.5 rom is just about dead it's time to update my phone.

I like the look of the GS2 but as it's not available in this country yet and I've never had or used an Android phone so it's all new territory for me. I have a few questions.

1) From the dimensions and videos I've seen it appears to be quite a large phone. How comfortable is it in the hand when using it?
2) How pocketable is the GS2? Does it fit in the front pocket of jeans / trousers comfortably? Where do you carry yours?
3) Do I need a google account to use the phone? Being Android it's obviously very google centric. But I don't use google for my mail, calendar, etc. Will that greatly reduce my user experience of the phone or do the mail and calendar clients work well with POP/IMAP mail and syncing with desktop clients like Thunderbird?
4) I use Linux (openSUSE) as my PC OS, I assume I can still use Kies Air to do all my file transfers to and from the phone, right?

Thanks in advance.

WhyAyeMan

Now that my museum piece HTC Wizard running custom WM6.5 rom is just about dead it's time to update my phone.

I like the look of the GS2 but as it's not available in this country yet and I've never had or used an Android phone so it's all new territory for me. I have a few questions.

1) From the dimensions and videos I've seen it appears to be quite a large phone. How comfortable is it in the hand when using it?
2) How pocketable is the GS2? Does it fit in the front pocket of jeans / trousers comfortably? Where do you carry yours?
3) Do I need a google account to use the phone? Being Android it's obviously very google centric. But I don't use google for my mail, calendar, etc. Will that greatly reduce my user experience of the phone or do the mail and calendar clients work well with POP/IMAP mail and syncing with desktop clients like Thunderbird?
4) I use Linux (openSUSE) as my PC OS, I assume I can still use Kies Air to do all my file transfers to and from the phone, right?

Thanks in advance.

1. Its excellent. Due to the swype keyboard, its practically the only touch screen phone around that i can actually operate with one hand. Its also very light and thin, so is very comfortable in the hand - far more so than my old iphone 4.

2. I carry mine in my pocket. Despite having a very large screen, the phone itself is a good size, and as said, very thin, so is great for keeping in pockets. I've got a case on mine now, and even with that on its still only as thick as most "thin" phones are without a case!

3. As with all Android phones, you will get the best from it if you use google's services, and indeed you'll need to register a google account anyway to use the market and such like. If you do use googles services, the phone is brilliant to use. Without it, probably less so. When I originally got one I just bit the bullet and changed from my hotmail account and I have no regrets.

4. Correct, it just uses your web browser to connect to the phone. And you can still use it as a mass storage device via USB. For firmware updates, I'd recommend using Wine and Odin.

cyberdude

Great. Thanks for replying.

Good to know that I can run Odin over Wine. Also happy to hear that the GS" shows up as a mass storage device with the USB.

I don't mind having a google account but would prefer not to use it for my mail and PIM requirements so will look into the options of syncing directly with my desktop. Perhaps something like installing a Funambol server or some other Caldav server to do my syncing with.

WhyAyeMan

Just set a google account up for the market access.

I can't really help with setting up with alternative systems as I picked the easy method - just use the google services :D

Odin is a very simple program indeed, so I see no problems running it in Wine, although I admit I have not tried it; worst case scenario is you may have to set up a virtual machine, but I can't see you needing to go that far. I use W7 as my primary OS so am no expert on Linux.

For USB storage device mode, you'll need to enable USB debugging if you wish for that to be the default connection type otherwise it will assume you want to sync with Kies (which is a POS).

EDIT: I stand corrected on the WINE and Odin combo; it does NOT work as apparently WINE does not support USB plugging, some users here are using Windows running in VirtualBox. Apologies for the confusion: See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=778609

Last edited:

EV6man

If you go to carphone warehouse they have fully working display samples, so you can see/feel what is like
Gerry

cyberdude

Thanks for the update on Wine. It's not such a big deal as I have Windows XP running in a VM anyway for setting up my Logitech Harmony 1 remote and car diagnostic software.

@Fiatman. I'm not in the UK so can't go to see the phone unfortunately.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom