Thinking of getting a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play what is the Battery like and other Qs

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

was going to get this and wanted to know what the battery life is like, will not be playing any games on it much but will be using it for the phone and txting and apps.

I do alot of txting and playing puzzle games but wanted to know how good the phone is

can anyone tell me what the scren is like as i have read many reviews say the brightness of the screen is poor .

thanks

The battery, with average use will last at least 2-3 days.

The screen wasn't bright to begin with, but that was a software bug, with the latest update, they added back in, the disable auto brightness, so the screen is the way it should be.

No way in hell are you going to get 2-3 days of 'average' use out of a Play. Two days, tops. Three if your use is light, which means very few phone calls, very few games and no video playback.

You say you do a lot of texting a playing puzzle games, so you'll certainly not get three days out of it. Texting isn't too bad so long as you don't have a really bright screen setting, but any sort of gaming will take it out of the battery. Also consider your signal strength, as a weak signal causes greater battery drain.

One day with heavy use, two tops with medium, three at a push with light.

(edit) For some other owners opinions, check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1072399

Last edited:
I'd say I get 2/3 days from my XP but I am a light user (I have a work phone that I use during the day) but 2/3 days is good performance for a smart phone.

No way in hell are you going to get 2-3 days of 'average' use out of a Play. Two days, tops. Three if your use is light, which means very few phone calls, very few games and no video playback.

You say you do a lot of texting a playing puzzle games, so you'll certainly not get three days out of it. Texting isn't too bad so long as you don't have a really bright screen setting, but any sort of gaming will take it out of the battery. Also consider your signal strength, as a weak signal causes greater battery drain.

One day with heavy use, two tops with medium, three at a push with light.

(edit) For some other owners opinions, check this out: [Q] hows your xperia play battery life? - xda-developers

Well done Rob, on linking to an 6 month old thread...:facepalm:

The latest updates to the Play have made a good difference to the battery life, and yeah, 2-3 days, is what I roughly have gotten.
Its not been charged since Friday afternoon, when I last charged mine, and it's sitting on 23% battery right now.

That's an hour or so gaming, plenty of texts, and 3 app downloads, and no video.
Usually I charge it every second night, so that'll be roughly 2 days.

Maybe if you owned one, your post would be a bit more believable eh.:suicide:

Thanks all

Might just get this for the wife and also for me to play with lol. One more question where can I get a memory card for it and a good price that works spot on with this phone.

Cheers

Maybe if you owned one, your post would be a bit more believable eh.:suicide:

Wow, such anger and ignorance from a Moderator. Yes, firmware updates have made an improvement. But three days of medium use is stretching it. 1-hour of gaming is not medium use, you don't list any sort of phone calls, you've played no video and downloaded just a few apps. That's fairly light usage, which as I said above can achieve three days. I appreciate we all have different opinions of what determines light, medium or heavy use, but IMO what you've described is light and so far you're not at three days.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom