Thinking of getting a projector after years with an oled.

Doctor Smith

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I will have a spare bedroom in a month as my son is moving out. The bedroom is 4m x 4m and I was thinking of turning it into a cinema room.
Was thinking of painting the walls and ceiling dark grey and getting an Epson tw9400 or 7400. Which screen would suit my needs?
The Walls are very flat so could I paint the viewing area and mask with a border. If so which paint would be suitable? I'm open to any other advice regarding other screen and projector models. It has to be 4k though.

Any other tips for dedicated cinema room? My last projector was a JVC x3 with beamax M screen. It was in the non light controlled living room though. I was very happy with it until that pesky 4k came out, thats when I sold it and got my oled. I do miss the impact of a massive screen.
Thanks

Last edited:
I will have a spare bedroom in a month as my son is moving out. The bedroom is 4m x 4m and I was thinking of turning it into a cinema room.
Was thinking of painting the walls and ceiling dark grey and getting an Epson tw9400 or 7400. Which screen would suit my needs?
Will it be a dedicated room? How many people do you want to be able to seat?
What audio equipment will you be using/what is your budget?

I'm open to any other advice regarding other screen and projector models. It has to be 4k though.
Well the two projectors you mentioned aren't native 4k, but they use pixel shifting to mimic 4k output.

Any other tips for dedicated cinema room?
Ok, so it is dedicated: Yes, lots. But if depends on your requirements and budget etc.

I'm fine with pixel shift 4k.
I had a manual beamax R then an Electric 92 inch beamax M. Was happy with both of them back in the day. So £250 manual and about 400 electric or fixed screen. I hated the Grand view screen as it displayed sparkles.
Which gain will i need?
I want to use normal dark grey paint for ceiling and walls so pretty cheap.

I have sound system sorted.

I'm fine with pixel shift 4k.
Me too :)

I had a manual beamax R then an Electric 92 inch beamax M. Was happy with both of them back in the day. So £250 manual and about 400 electric or fixed screen. I hated the Grand view screen as it displayed sparkles.
Which gain will i need?
The gain you need depends on how bright your chosen projector will be, and the size of the screen. But in a dedicated room like yours, where you can have dark walls and ceiling etc, then a white screen is the best option, which usually has a gain close to 1. Personally, I'd recommend trying to get an acoustically transparent screen for the speakers to go behind, and that might (depending on choice) bring the gain down just under 1.

I want to use normal dark grey paint for ceiling and walls so pretty cheap.
Cool. There's a thread discussing paint somewhere, as they're often a lot more reflective than you'd expect. I think one of the best ones is by Flint or something.

I have sound system sorted.
Excellent - what is it? What are your front 3 speakers?

I guess you're trying to keep the budget really low, which is cool, but if we know what gear and budget you have, we might be able to plan for the possibility you'll want to add a couple of things in the future.

My budget for projector and screen is around £3000.
Or should I now go for a 77 inch oled instead?
Thanks again.

My budget for projector and screen is around £3000.
Or should I now go for a 77 inch oled instead?
Thanks again.
If you go for a DIY screen, that becomes a really good budget for a projector. I don't really know prices for decent pre-made screens, because I'd never bought one new. Although second hand you could pick up something pretty cheap I'd think. I have a 130" screen (too big for you I'd imagine) that I need to get rid of, and I'm sure others also will have something you can use.

77" oled:
They're great big TVs. But big TVs is not home cinema. If it's what you want, then sure. But if you want to be immersed in a home cinema, then a projector is the only way to go. If being immersed in a home cinema isn't what you're after, and you just want a big high quality screen, then by all means go for an oled.

Is it for 2 of you? And how many hours a week/month/year can you imagine watching films etc in it?
In fact, is it mainly for films, or Netflix series, or something else?

Mainly films. Probably 2 of us. About a couple of films a week. Thanks

Films = scope ratio (2.35 ish : 1) on projector.
A couple of films a week means projector bulbs are not an issue for you.

Are you up for making a screen frame, and attaching fabric, or do you think paying more for a pre-made is going to suit your needs (and maybe DIY ability) more?

Also, do you think this room can be your cinema room for years to come? I ask, because it affects how much work it's sensible to put into 'decorating' the room.

The purpose of a cinema room is to become engrossed in movies.

When I enter my dedicated cinema room I am watching a film within 5 min.

A certain amount of contrast becomes enough (ansi 2-300:1) this can be acheived with 9400.

I suggest you start with an email here with your budget and ideas.

Black carpet.

Pond lining and tape for windows.

Amazon product ASIN B006QHOX0Y
Aim for foot candles x screen gain = 12 (16:9), 14 (2.4:1)

I power staple and border tape screen material.

20200923_001406.jpg

9400 gives

117" 16:9, 110" 2.4:1

CIH 2.4:1 110", 16:9 86"

In a dedicated room screen size doesn't matter, you just move your seat closer (THX) for immersion.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
A certain amount of contrast becomes enough (ansi 2-300:1) this can be acheived with 9400.
Where have you got that from? That's an opinion, not a fact. More contrast, from the likes of JVC, provides better blacks which people notice and appreciate.

In a dedicated room screen size doesn't matter, you just move your seat closer (THX) for immersion.
I disagree. Sitting closer to achieve the same viewing angle is not the same experience as a larger screen from further way. And being closer to small screen certainly doesn't help when you have more than one person watching, so anyone off-centre is comparatively more off-centre when they're closer to a small screen.

I agree with your other points.

I always wanted more contrast, until my last improvement to light control.

Ansi now measures 2-300:1

Upon reading this I thought how alike people must be in what looks good.

I would like a better black level though.

Maybe a dual layer projector.

I agree, go for as big a screen as you find comfortable.

THX recommended seating distance lines up with what feels right to me.

This limit to maximum screen size is also set by throw ratio on Sony hw40, Epson 9300 and Jvc x.... if your seated against the wall.

Screen size/aspect ratio is a choice, don't rule it out just because it is less than 120"

There can be benefits to, like improved contrast, better seating position for audio and having the centre of the screen at eye level.

Thanks for all the help so far. I was set on the Epson tw9400. However, I measured the room and it is 9ft 10inch square. Projector calculator states at that throw the screen size will only be 80inch diagonally. I take it the distance is from lense to screen? The epson is 45cm deep.

Any projector recommendations for a room my size that can project a 90 ish diagonal image?

I've measured my rooms so many times you think I would remember by now.

You could move the rooms around.

Some are lucky and can place the projector behind the wall.

ClearView™-Theater-Projection-Port-Glass-Windows-3-1.jpg

UST projectors are quickly improving. :)

Thanks for all the help so far. I was set on the Epson tw9400. However, I measured the room and it is 9ft 10inch square. Projector calculator states at that throw the screen size will only be 80inch diagonally. I take it the distance is from lense to screen? The epson is 45cm deep.

Any projector recommendations for a room my size that can project a 90 ish diagonal image?
Ah, that's not a huge room. Search for short throw projectors and see what you find.

I've measured my rooms so many times you think I would remember by now.

You could move the rooms around.

Some are lucky and can place the projector behind the wall.

View attachment 1549292

UST projectors are quickly improving. :)
The room has a 2ft deep built in wardrobe which takes up most of one of the walls. If I remove the wardrobe the projector could go inside. This will give me a 10ft throw. Enough for a 90 inch screen. However, the fixed frame screen would be hung over the Window. So I will need to think of a system of removing and hanging easyly. Also the Window sill comes out about an inch.

The room has a 2ft deep built in wardrobe which takes up most of one of the walls. If I remove the wardrobe the projector could go inside. This will give me a 10ft throw.
You said the room is 9ft 10inch square. Is that measuring to the back of the wardrobe?

It's not a big room in the first place, so you really could do with losing the wardrobe if possible.

Enough for a 90 inch screen. However, the fixed frame screen would be hung over the Window. So I will need to think of a system of removing and hanging easyly. Also the Window sill comes out about an inch.
Why would you need to remove the screen? What do you need the window for?

Would it be possible to post a drawing of the room, with the loaction of the door, window etc? It would help us give suggestions of locations of everything from screen and speakers to seating etc.

Last edited:
Ah, that's not a huge room. Search for short throw projectors and see what you find.

You said the room is 9ft 10inch square. Is that measuring to the back of the wardrobe?

It's not a big room in the first place, so you really could do with losing the wardrobe is possible.

Why would you need to remove the screen? What do you need the window for?

Would it be possible to post a drawing of the room, with the loaction of the door, window etc? It would help us give suggestions of locations of everything from screen and speakers to seating etc.
9ft 10 is not including wardrobe which is an extra 2ft. 5ft wide by 2ft deep. Would need access to window as it may get too warm in the summer with it closed. Will post drawing tomorrow. Thanks

9ft 10 is not including wardrobe which is an extra 2ft.
Oo, does that mean we could have nearly 12' length? That would be really nice.

Would need access to window as it may get too warm in the summer with it closed.
I can't imagine that working if it's behind the screen - you can't open the window, then put the screen up and watch a film, with a window open behind.

Will post drawing tomorrow. Thanks
Excellent. Then we can see if the window wall is the only option for the screen or not. We'll need to get you some fresh air in there, from somewhere.

10' throw gives

102" 16:9

96" 2.4:1

So I will need to think of a system of removing and hanging easyly. Also the Window sill comes out about an inch.
Any chance of removing the sill ?

My screen is mounted like a picture frame on two screws in front of two patio doors and can simply be lifted off and back on if required.

742F13F0-1BC4-46D0-960B-730DCD2C5A88.jpeg

Any chance of removing the sill ?

My screen is mounted like a picture frame on two screws in front of two patio doors and can simply be lifted off and back on if required.

View attachment 1549657
I may screw a batton above the window the same thickness as the sill. Then I can hook it to the batton.

Last edited:
I have been very impressed with the UST that I've just got. It's a great way of getting a big image in a smaller space.

I have been very impressed with the UST that I've just got. It's a great way of getting a big image in a smaller space.
Which screen and projector do you have?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom