1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of getting a Pioneer DVR5100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by smallman28, Jan 4, 2004.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible someone either in the know or who has one of these could answer me a couple of questions please.
    I noticed that it has a DV in/output on the unit,would it be possible to connect it to a PC and download the info from the hard disc in order to able to do more complex editing than on the player itself?
    Or would it be better to do basic editing first on the player than write the info to a disc to edit it on a PC?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

You should be able to connect via a PC to the 5100, however this isn't a 100% guarantee unlike DV Camcorders that the 5100 is really designed to talk to.

You cannot transfer "Data". You can only transfer DV back and forwards to the Pioneer. So you couldn’t use burning software like Nero to make a disc, as they do not work this way, as the drive isn’t seen by your computer as a writer.

So if you record a DVD, this is encoded to MPEG at your chosen rate. On going out of the Firewire to a PC, you will need to either capture as straight DV, for example if you are using a package like Adobe Premiere. This would be preferred, as you then have plenty of editing options, and do not have to worry about AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio, as this is converted to 48Khz PCM. As DV is far less compressed than DVD, you will not lose anything on going from DVD to DV. To record back to DVD, you can either convert to MPEG on your computer and burn straight to a DVD Writer in the PC, this gives you the advantage of doing what you like with chapters and menus, or send it out of your computer via the Firewire to the Pioneer 5100, and let it convert it to DVD MPEG and use the menu options it supplies.

What is it you want to achieve exactly?

Regards

Philip

3. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I would want to transfer from pioneer HD to PC what software would I need on the PC end to pull in the data (video stream)

Erick

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

It would work the same as the disc, you would need any software that can handle DV Video.

Regards

Philip

5. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I have the Pioneer 5100H, and have found the following:
    The picture quality of direct DV to Pioneer recorder footage burn't to DVD-R is better than DV previously loaded onto a PC hard drive, edited and burnt to DVD on the PC.
    So I am doing basic fades etc. in the Camcorder, and then transfering to the Pioneer HD for exact editing: eg combining, splitting, moving, adding titles etc. The results (if you can do it) are better than doing it via a PC, imo.

6. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Small man 28. I dont really understand your question as I would have thought if you had an editing program you would have finished allyour editing before it got to the Hard disc on the DVD and then you would have burned it to -r direct on the pioneer direct from your computer. Perhaps you could elaborate.

7. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To elaborate more,what I was thinking was that if I record a show such as Top Of The Pops on the hard disc,would I then be able to download that information to a PC from the hard disc via the DV in/out.
    Basically I was looking to maybe create a compilation DVD of various music videos etc with a set of menus that I could play on a DVD player,I thought a PC would be a better choice to do something like this on as the player probably has limited ability to create something like this as opposed to a PC.
    I have a DVD burner on my PC that I would use to create the disc itself at the end.