1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of getting a Philips DVDR? Read this first.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelab, Mar 1, 2003.

1. michaelab

May 20, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Read this thread (which I started) over on the DVDPlusRW.org forums:

A large number of Philips DVDR recorders appear to be affected by a design or manufacturing flaw which means that after some time they can no longer read pre-recorded DVDs. I bought mine last Sept/Oct and by November it would no longer play pre-recorded DVDs. Got it repaired ('disc module' was replaced) and returned to me late Dec. All working fine. Now it's just over 2 months later and the same problem has cropped up again.

And I'm not the only one. There are literally hundreds of people with the same problem and so far not a peep from Philips about the issue.

My DVDR890 is still under garuantee so I'll have to take it to be repaired again but I didn't spend £600 on a DVDR890 to take it to be repaired (which takes 3 weeks) every 2 months. I also have no security that the problem won't keep re-ocurring, eventually when no longer under garuantee.

I'm just hoping that I can get my money back or that Philips will give me a new machine that doesn't have this design flaw.

:mad: :mad: :mad: