Thinking of getting a panny pw7 or???

leedebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Been given the ok to spend on plasma & sounds cos we are moving other equipment (Sony IDTV 28dx40 + HTSL5 system) into the main room. The main room won't accomadate a plasma very well (would have to place it high & would crook neck to watch it) also I can fit the 28" tv in a better position + have decent home cinema in there.
The thing is I don't really know what to do in the room that will have the plasma.
The room is a garage conversion with a window at one end. If I mounted the plasma on the wall at the other end it would mean a) light from the window affecting ALL the time (large window with lots of light) & b) I can't fit the sofa in because the door is in the way.
So my options seem to be a table top stand or a Viera with cabinet.
tbh I prefer just the thin edge style of the PW7 & so does the wife, but if I buy the table top stand what one do I get? There seems to be 2 options.
1) on avsales site is shown a flat pod like one
2) other sites show a small perched 1/2 circle design
:confused:
Also if I do go for the PW7 what boards do I need to have fitted & what ones does it come with as standard? scart one?
I would also probably want to go for the SCHT25R Panasonic system because a) it has 3 scarts, presumably one will be RGB????? for connection to plasma??? am I right? Also has DVD recorder....... :smashin:
Budget..........mmmm could stretch to £1800..........
Any ideas guys? :blush:
Best places to look?

How about putting up a curtain or netting to cut out the daylight issue :laugh:

I'd go for the PW7 - with a scart board for sky/freeview and a component board for DVd etc...or get a RGB to VGA convertor and feed via the 15 pin din connection

"How about putting up a curtain or netting to cut out the daylight issue "

Tbh I could do that but as this is a garage conversion the width is narrow & as I have a door near the window end I wouldn't be able to put the sofa at that end (we have tried changing it to that way!)

If I get the panny pw7 with the scart board will I still get auto aspect ratio switching?
Oh & how much of a problem is lip sync?

Thanks
:D

i got my pwd7 yesterday, it's absolutely spot on!!

as for lipsync issues...... ????? :thumbsup:

adymartin said:
i got my pwd7 yesterday, it's absolutely spot on!!

as for lipsync issues...... ????? :thumbsup:

so no problems with lip sync, well thats good news.
What about football, fast moving sports, any haloing?
Watched some rugby yesterday on a Viera 37" about 6 foot away & the picture tbh was pretty poor, okay when everything was static but any movement then it looked horrible.
Is the TH37PW7 better quality than the Viera in this respect or is it because it was just connected scart to scart (I did check his sky settings & it was set on rgb)? Does the panny auto detect rgb on input?

slight distortion with football on sky sports, weak broadcast. bbc miles better.
i was watching tennis yesterday and was suprised how well it kept up.

depends how picky you are, or if you're expecting crt type quality from a plasma.
the skysports signals are renowned to be a bit poor.

If I went with the pw7 would this be the best option (at the price I have available) for sky & DVD? tbh dvd is my main priority but I want to ensure that I future proof as much as I can. I need to have auto aspect ratio switching though.
Can anyone advise what the 2 different desk stands that appear to be sold with the pw7 actually look like in the flesh? the official Panasonic one is like a pod design whereas the avsales one looks more like feet (looks quite smart actually) but does it "match" the silver of the pw7? waf :D

hornydragon said:
the SC-HT25R is a basic reciver with 2 scarts in and one out and an E55 DVD recorder in a box with some speakers.........

Would this connect to the scart board of the panny & provide RGB?
Specs say 1 rgb 2 composite! Also how would I get component out of the dvd recorder to the plasma? 3 component leads to 3 component leads?
Presumably the best option would be the scart board + the component board then? :thumbsup:

SNICK said:
How about putting up a curtain or netting to cut out the daylight issue :laugh:

I'd go for the PW7 - with a scart board for sky/freeview and a component board for DVd etc...or get a RGB to VGA convertor and feed via the 15 pin din connection

How many scart connections does the scart board have?
I was also thinking of getting the scht25r which includes the E55 dvd recorder/player.
Can I connect my rf feed from another room (I know the quality will be poor)so that I can view on plasma (via the tuner built into the E55 dvd recorder?)
:lease:

Thanks........it's a LONG story!
One more question!
Would it be worth getting the component board as well to connect the E55 via component lead for a better picture than scart?. I'm pretty sure that the 37" pw7 will only allow 2 boards to be fitted, is this correct? :eek:

Lip sync only seams to pe a problem on Zoom and Just modes. The 4:3 and 16:somthing modes are fine. Also check to see that the sound system is on DTV and not Video. I spent more than a few mins panicing at how I was going to explain to my wife that there was a 2 second delay :oops: .

Correct - 2 'slots' only on the 37" PW7.

As for lip-sync, I notice it when using speakers attached directly to the speaker out connectors on the screen. The problem is that when you look for it, it becomes noticable (if that makes sence).

I am very impressed with the performance of the screen watching football - at least as good as my ~3yr old Hitachi CRT.

hornydragon said:
2 bpards on 37" yes.....however componet for E5 is a great idea feed sky (RGB) into E55 and only need one panel and can use live pause etco E55 just like Sky+ !!!

So can I just get the component board required or the component/composite/svhs combination board?
Then can I just connect the component lead from E55 to pw7 & view DVD's via component? tbh I don't need to connect sky atm, really all I need to do is connect a dvd player. My current situation is I have sky/cable & analogue TV pumped through to this room connected to a sony 28" flat idtv (quality picture btw) which in turn is connected to a dvd player. Sound is via a seperate receiver.
If I get the panny pw7 c/w the SCHT25R to replace this system can I just get the component/combi board & not bother with the scart board? Just that some places say the scart board is included! :rolleyes:

Thanks hornydragon.
I think I have it all covered now.
Will probably order 37" pw7 with silver desktop stand (what does the avsales one look like in the flesh?) fitted with component board.
Also a SHCT25R + component cables to connect to the pw7........anything else I need to get the E55 dvd side of things working?
your thoughts?

got mine yesterday and im blown away.

Im sure you will be too.

Dal

hornydragon said:
AV-sales one is a unicol IIRC and loks pretty good, you dont really see it at all...........
dal glad you are pleased mate.........

Last questions! :eek:
Have decided on 37" PW7 but still unsure of a couple of things.
1) auto aspect ratio switching
2) what boards to get

For ease of use I would prefer to get the scart board but feel that component MAY be better? But does component allow auto aspect ratio switching? I was sure it didn't........

I suppose I could get the scart board + component board (what one on avsales site do I select though bnc or?????) :rolleyes:

So does component connection provide auto widescreen switching? :lease:

Been looking at this set up to go with the plasma http://www.petertyson.co.uk/yamahaavpack300.shtml

this would give me either component or rgb scart to plasma.

I haven't got anything else to connect to this plasma atm & would only ever intend to get a skybox or similar in this room.

My main room will have a sony idtv & sky + dvd connected & I don't intend to change that for some time, so the plasma in the other room will mainly be used for dvd BUT I have sky/analogue tv & cable tv all linked into there atm.
What do you reckon the quality of the picture would be like in comparison to the 28" widescreen tv picture currently in this room.......much worse or ok?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom