Thinking of getting a New Diesel Astra - But don't do much mileage

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by uzi123, Feb 26, 2013.

1. uzi123

uzi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi guys,

Hoping someone on here can help me with a decision I’ve got to make as I don’t have a massive interest/knowledge of cars. I’m considering leasing a vehicle and have been quoted a very good deal on a brand new Vauxhall Astra CDTI 1.7 SE for £210 per month over a 24month contract. After shopping around a lot this is pretty much the best deal I could get on this type of sized car.

The only issue is I probably won’t do more than 5000 miles a year. The equivalent petrol model is £255 per month. I’ve read up a bit about Diesel, and I’m not overly fussed that I won’t make a saving in terms of mileage as I don’t do that many miles. Paying more at the pump and not getting any benefit is annoying but there is still a £45 per month difference between the two!

My big concern is maintenance. I don’t want to have to be paying for repairs on a Diesel car because of me not driving it enough. Having spoken to Vauxhall they say their warranty doesn’t cover a regeneration that may be needed if the car is not driven on a motorway for about 25 minutes every week and the filter gets clogged up.

I guess I’m just trying to gauge how common these issues are? I don’t want to be caught out with unnecessary repair bills. I will definitely be driving for at least 25 minutes a week, but I don’t know if it will be on the motorway! Having said that I also don’t want to have to take the car on the motorway every week just to maintain it as that seems like a waste in fuel too!

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Petrol dearer to lease because of worse residuals.

4. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,967
    He won't be paying repair costs surely, as it is a lease.
    The fuel cost is negligible and £45 more per month is gonna cost more than the fuel difference.
    It's a no brainer for me, I would just take the diesel. Saves £45 a month, and if/when you do long journeys it will cost you less.

5. uzi123

uzi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Nope I would be responsible for the repair costs unfortunately, well whatever isn't covered by the warranty at least.

It's not so much the actual cost between the two as I can't even afford the petrol version so that's out of the question. I can't seem to find a decent priced petrol to lease so if I don't lease the diesel I will probably end up buying second hand.

6. Cyland101

Cyland101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well if it's a new car it will be covered by the warranty, and I assume you won't be keeping it long term, so I would not worry about any potential DFP etc issues.

7. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,967
    Are you not leasing a brand new car? If you are, the warranty will cover DPF and any of those types of issues.
    What size of car do you need? You can lease a VW Up for around £100 a month.

8. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    Get the diesel and stop worrying about the DPF.

9. uzi123

uzi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    If the DFP is a long term issue maybe I am worrying about nothing...

Yeah it is a brand new car, but the sales rep at Vauxhall said their warranty doesn't cover the DPF regeneration. He said it costs about £70.

Unfortunately I do need something around the size of an Astra the Up seems a bit small and from the ones I've seen are only 1.0.

10. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    I think it's highly unlikely you'll get any problems whatsoever over such a short period of time (24 months). Buy it and don't worry about it.

11. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,967
    Even if the DPF did happen to go wrong, £70 is hardly anything to worry about.
    Have you looked at all other brands?

12. uzi123

uzi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I agree it's not the biggest deal but I don't want to have to pay it numerous times when I'm paying enough for the car itself.

I've looked at other brands but this seems to be the cheapest car I can get on a lease for its size.

13. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    I've got a 56plate focus TDCI which are notorious for dPF problems but in the 6 months I've had it I haven't had any problems, the DPF was replaced when I got it , it's mostly used round town but I do take it for a blast every week if I can

If you had a regeneration every 2 months (you won't) it'd still be cheaper than running the petrol Astra

Which company are you leasing with , is it a 3+23 as it seems very cheap or is there a big deposit

14. uzi123

uzi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    It is 3+23. No deposit, just the initial payment. Leasing it from Jet Vehicles.