1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Getting A E55 Any Help Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigjonnyauk, Jul 26, 2004.

1. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HI ALL

am thinking of getting a panny e55 to replace my dvd player and video which dosent really get much use

reason for wanting one is my 2 lads both have dvd players in their bedroom and i have one in my room plus the one downstairs long story but i got a deal from richer for 4 toshiba sd220 that i could not turn down lol excellent machine

we have no videos upstairs at all so if i record something for them its gonna be much easier for them to watch

questions are

how good is the panny and what is the pic quality like playing normal dvds

is it easy to use ie will the wife be able to record something while i am not in

i have looked at it and like i said it will replace my vcr and dvd player

so would connecting it be easy going on other comments would this be right

ntl box tv out goes to the av2 on back of panny then av1 on panny goes to the rgb input scart on t.v rf lead goes into rf on panny and rf out to rf in on tv

if i want to record of cable i select av2 on panny

?what if i want to record terestial tele and watch sky is there the option to select channels 1 to 5 and record from the rf while watching cable on av1 on my tv

also all i can see is it has digital outputs

what are they my optical input is used by ps2 at min and current dvd player is using digital coax does this have a coax aswell

phew all advice helpful :lease:

2. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bigjonnyauk

Just a footnote: As far as I can tell the SD220 cannot handle dvd-ram, and therefore you will not be able to share recordings on rewriteable discs - but have to record everything permanently on dvd-r.

Perhaps you don´t mind the 'waste', but I would opt for a dvd-rw capable recorder...

(I leave the rest of the questions to people who have more knowledge of the E85 - which I by the way probably would have bought if it could record on dvd-rw)

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Indeed if you want you day to day recordings to play on a Toshiba 220 you must look at a DVD-RW recorder. Some good models:
    - Pioneer 220
    - Toshiba DR2
    - Sony GX3
    All support RGB input and DVD-RW (Video) recording - the Toshiba will be available in a few weeks whilst the other two are available now. You'll have to use 'featureless' Video mode when recording programmes that you watch on your Toshiba 220s - but they should play without problems.