1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of getting a Denon 3910 but what is it like on a Panny PW6

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thudspud, Nov 22, 2004.

1. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hello

Been offered a VERY good price for a new Denon 3910, need to let the place know tomorrow so they can order me one before they shut on Saturday.

Has anybody got one of these running into a Panasonic PW6 Via progressive component, if so, how is it? Is macroblocking really a problem?

Thinking of asking if I can borrow the display model for the night to have a play for myself to see.

Cheers

Chris

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    By all accounts, macroblocking is at its worst when combined with a panasonic plasma. There have been tons of threads here and in the usa with unhappy panasonic owners and the Denon A11.
    the panasonics own noise reduction circuits tend to exagerate the problem.

Now with the 3910 its macro blocking problem if seen is nowhere near as bad as the A11 was. infact when outputting in certain resolutions macroblocking just cannot be seen.
    A demo unit i borrowed for home did display a very small amount of MB but as an owner of an A11 i can say many of the discs that were very bad on the A11 were MB free on the borrowed 3910.
    Now i have a 3910 i am very pleased that i have not seen any MB at all and i have tried all the discs i know the A11 was bad at.( it should be noted that MB can be very display dependent as some users never noticed MB with the A11 either.well maybe there just not so picky :D )

Thats the best advice i can give is maybe borrow a unit for home demo. but i think you will be fine, TBH

3. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Many thanks for your detailed reply, I think I will see if they will let me have their demo unit for a few days and see for myself.

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    if it does suffer, MB tends to look like blocks that shimmer, or crawl. Most noticable in dark arears. or on background walls etc

Note that some discs display MB as an encoding error, so try that disc with another player to confirm if it is faroudja MB or not.