Thinking of DOWNgrading. Tips welcome

Tremolo Arm

Established Member
Reaction score
So I bought an AF8 55" last November.

Whilst I enjoy the TV for movies Netflix / Prime and general viewing - news, iPlayer, etc, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the auto-dim feature when watching sports and when playing games (with a static content).

Those who say the AF8 is not dark, must be using a different TV. Mine only looks good when set at max brightness and high luminance. The issue is that it darkens considerably when watching football specifically. I've tried every possible setting in the luminance menu and in the Eco settings menu. I've had a Sony engineer round. Nothing helps - the auto-dim inevitably kicks in 2-3 minutes into a programme showing static content. When I change channel and come back to the original channel - bang - there it is back to its glorious brightness. It's almost like the TV is teasing...

Anyway, I have now decided to shift the TV and get something a bit more "stable" brightness wise, even if it is not an OLED but an LCD. I also want to take the opportunity to move up to a 65".

So my question is this - coming from the AF8, how would I find the XG8796, XG9595 or the ZF9 and generally any good LCD?

Thanks

Last edited:
Forme, going from a 55" full HD OLED to 65XE90 (as a stopgap solution due to motion issues mostly) was not a huge reduction in PQ. The 4k and HDR content was a nice addition, though I do not watch in near darkness with the XE as that would just be a disappointment. In a lit room the difference is quite subtle if you compare a calibrated OLED to a calibrated local dimming LCD, and the size helps a lot.

That said, I have idly thought about going back to a 55" 2019 OLED this fall - I might still get a bit of money for the XE90 as long as it under warranty.

So from my POV you would probably be quite OK with a XG95 or a ZF9 as they have some local dimming to take the worst edge off the downgrade. I would not pay a huge amount for a premium LCD, though, even a 65". The 65" OLEDs will get a lot cheaper over the next 2 years as LG will have new 65" size-optimised OLED production capacity available, and you may end up missing the OLED blacks and switching back - which could start to get a bit expensive.

Last edited:
Forme, going from a 55" full HD OLED to 65XE90 (as a stopgap solution due to motion issues mostly) was not a huge reduction in PQ. The 4k and HDR content was a nice addition, though I do not watch in near darkness with the XE as that would just be a disappointment. In a lit room the difference is quite subtle if you compare a calibrated OLED to a calibrated local dimming LCD, and the size helps a lot.

That said, I have idly thought about going back to a 55" 2019 OLED this fall - I might still get a bit of money for the XE90 as long as it under warranty.

So from my POV you would probably be quite OK with a XG95 or a ZF9 as they have some local dimming to take the worst edge off the downgrade. I would not pay a huge amount for a premium LCD, though, even a 65". The 65" OLEDs will get a lot cheaper over the next 2 years as LG will have new 65" size-optimised OLED production capacity available, and you may end up missing the OLED blacks and switching back - which could start to get a bit expensive.

Thank you so much. So it seems the differences would be more pronounced in a darker environment. Typically, I always have a light on somewhere in the room during viewing anyway, so it sounds like this may not be too much of an issue.

So I bought an AF8 55" last November.

Whilst I enjoy the TV for movies Netflix / Prime and general viewing - news, iPlayer, etc, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the auto-dim feature when watching sports and when playing games (with a static content).

Those who say the AF8 is not dark, must be using a different TV. Mine only looks good when set at max brightness and high luminance. The issue is that it darkens considerably when watching football specifically. I've tried every possible setting in the luminance menu and in the Eco settings menu. I've had a Sony engineer round. Nothing helps - the auto-dim inevitably kicks in 2-3 minutes into a programme showing static content. When I change channel and come back to the original channel - bang - there it is back to its glorious brightness. It's almost like the TV is teasing...

Anyway, I have now decided to shift the TV and get something a bit more "stable" brightness wise, even if it is not an OLED but an LCD. I also want to take the opportunity to move up to a 65".

So my question is this - coming from the AF8, how would I find the XG8796, XG9595 or the ZF9 and generally any good LCD?

Thanks

"Those who say the AF8 is not dark, must be using a different TV"

Or...maybe you've just got a dark one.

"Those who say the AF8 is not dark, must be using a different TV"

Or...maybe you've just got a dark one.
I said that the PQ is good when on maximum peak luminance and maximum brightness.
The issues are that there is nowhere brighter to go, and more topically, that it auto dims with no possibility to control that.

I said that the PQ is good when on maximum peak luminance and maximum brightness.
The issues are that there is nowhere brighter to go, and more topically, that it auto dims with no possibility to control that.

I definitely sympathise with your dimming issue. That'd drive me a little crazy too.

I definitely sympathise with your dimming issue. That'd drive me a little crazy too.
So you're saying yours doesn't? (assuming you have one)
Can you share what settings you use? Thanks

Sony 65/75XF90 will be fantastic and the larger sizes can be had at very good prices recently :)

I decided again this set due to the darkness and its dimming "abilities" aka issues.

I went for an XF9005 and have been very happy. Yes an LCD wont have the impressive blacks and wide viewing angle but the brightness is worth it for me and it sounds like your viewing preference is for a brighter set. I'd go for the XG95 but wait for it to drop in price first, or get an XF9005 as a low price. There isn't really that much difference between the two sets.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom