1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking of ditching the vcr!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonopesda, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jonopesda

jonopesda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know a little bit about dvd recorders,not actulay having owned one i am thinking of buying,i have a couple of questions
    1 im thinking of a hdd recorder,do they record the adverts?do some models have own EPG?
    2 the i link on some machines, can you acctuly edit from a dv cam and then burn to dvd,or do you need to go from cam to pc to cam to dvd recorder?

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A DVD recorder - with or without a HDD - will record what you tell it to. It has no "magic" way of not recording adverts but, provided you buy the right model, you will have extensive editting features to be able to cut out adverts before dubbing to DVD-R.

Only one model has an EPG - the Philips HDRW720 - but that is a very poor machine for a number of reasons. If you wait a few months then numerous models will be out which incorporate the Freeview EPG - the Toshiba RDXS34 will be the first of these.

The current favourites are:
    - Panasonic E85/E95
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Pioneer 420/520
    - Sony RXD900/RXD1000

Yes of course. Some machines do it better than others, e.g. the editting on a Panasonic deck is somewhat smoother than a Sony, but all allow you to do it. Naturally better results (i.e. transition effects, designer menus) can be achieved on a PC though.