Thinking of connecting a PC to my Sagem

scookar

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title, am thinking of getting a PC and potentially connecting to my Sagem's DVI port. The main things I will be doing on it is working from home, checking emails, surfing the net and also wanted to watch some HD material.

Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of graphics cards? Will I need a high spec graphics card to play HD material?

Also, will I just be able to get a DVI cable and connect the PC to the back of the Sagem? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!

I would say that the Nvidia 6600GT gfx card generally gets an all round thumbs up with the HTPC (Home Theater PC) crowd and a standard DVi cable should work no problems.
http://www.htpcnews.com/
Is a good site check the forums for guides and info and there are other out there if you google home theater pc.

Buy TheatreTek as the scaler for the nVidia (£50ish) and you will get a stonking picture at spot-on resolution - next to the TV, the best purchase I made:thumbsup:

Cheers:hiya:

Cheers guys. That is really helpful.

A quick related (noob) question.

Do any graphics cards allow for two different resolutions to be output simultaneously?

i.e. 1280 via VGA to a PC monitor and say 1024 to a TV via DVI-HDMI?

Yes, you can have a different resolution for each display.

As per the title, am thinking of getting a PC and potentially connecting to my Sagem's DVI port. The main things I will be doing on it is working from home, checking emails, surfing the net and also wanted to watch some HD material.

Buy TheatreTek as the scaler for the nVidia (£50ish) and you will get a stonking picture at spot-on resolution - next to the TV, the best purchase I made

Combine ffdshow with TheaterTek for incredible results, instructions at
http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_2

hi,sorry to jump on but have a question concerning TT.i`ve installed TT mainly as it will play TS files continuously.i`m connected to my sagem with the dvi cable and usually just drag whatever prog(vlcplayer usually)from pc to tv and then watch like that.the prob i have with TT is that i can get a pic whilst on my pc but when i drag over to the tv i just get a blank screen.sound is there but no pic :suicide:

am i doing anything wrong or are there any settings that i`m missing :confused: any (basic) help for another noob.thx.

I believe you need to set your TV as the primary display, something to do with video overlay only working on 1 screen at a at time. Apparently VRM9 will fix that, but I don't know much about it though.

This may be a factor of your Graphics card too. The nVidia 6600GT I have will 'auto select' the display (as I understand most modern cards do) and allow you to switch between PC and TV dynamically once the setting are saved against the nVidia adaptor settings (at least that is how mine worked when I was setting the TV up in the first place):cool:

Cheers:hiya:

I Have ATI radeon 9800 Pro 128mB with AMS Athlon 64 3200+ (2Mhz) and have no probs with HD.
I connect my TV via DVI and my LCD (i work on it on the table next to it) via VGA.
Windows XP outputs 1280x1024 to LCD and 1280x720 to TV. I strobgly recommend using it like that as i tried to work one month on Sagem and although the picture is grat the 720 vertical resolution is not anough and i would use the bulb very fast.

I use drag and drop with meda player and teathertek and they both showing the pic on LCD and TV. hovewer, there was a case when TT didn't want to show pic untill i change TV to primary screen.
After playing with settings (don't remember) or simply restarting PC the TT is working finenow. ( I am using VMR9).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom