Thinking of changing HDD in your Sky+ box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RMCF, Aug 15, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    PC World website is doing decent deals on the Samsung SpinPoint range of HDDs.

Check in their 'Component Shop' section. If you are lucky enough to live near a store you might even be able to pick it up in person and save the p&p!!

Prices are:

120GB SP1203N £46.94
    80GB SP0802N £36.95
    160GB SP1614N £55.00

From what I have read in various forums (inc this one) these are very good drives for upgrading your Sky+ box. They are very quiet and run cooler than most.

Just a question to finish on regarding doing an upgrade (as I am thinking about it): can you use S-ATA drives for the job?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Samsung SP1614N is a recommended drive to upgrade Amstrad boxes, but for Pace boxes the Maxtor 4R160L0 is more suitable, because it is a 5400 RPM drive, so it runs quieter and cooler.

The 4R160L0 is available from Technoworld for £57.58 inc. VAT.

Unless PC World have drastically changed their trading conditions in the last few weeks, stuff from the Component Section of the PC World site is not available in most stores. Heck, why should anyone want to go to a "PC Superstore" to buy a Processor chip ? :rotfl:

You cannot use SATA drives in Sky+ boxes (haven't seen the innards of a V3 box yet).

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Regarding PC World not having items in stock from the component shop, perhaps I was being naive when I thought that during the checkout process it actually did a stock check from your local store before it told you that you could pick it up.

But knowing my local store, I hear what you're saying.

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,
    thanks for the link to the hdd, these are getting cheaper :)

i am going to upgrade to a 160g but would like to keep my recordings(Simpsons :rotfl: ) rather than burn them to disc as i can access the recordings from any room in the house via digi eyes.

My question is will they still play if i transfer the existing recordings to my new hdd via my pc?

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Just got the 200gig SP2014N for 140CHF (62 quid). I haven't fitted it yet as I need to watch what I've already recorded on the old 40gig drive... but I keep filling it up as fast as I can watch stuff! I think I'll have to bite the bullet and just say goodbye to the movies on the old drive.

I can say that having put another SP2104N into an external USB housing for use with the PC, this is one really REALLY quiet drive. Seems to be quite cool running too.

Gav

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    AFAIK you can't move the recordings. They are encrypted on the HDD (Not just the bitstream as taken off air, the actual copy on the HDD has further encyption). You'll need to copy them off to DVD Recordable.

Gav

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've never tried it. If it did work it would be great, because I have a 4R160L0 ready to go into my Pace V2 box, to replace the 200GB Maxtor Series 9, but the drive never seems to go below 61% full :)

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for both replies, i'll give it a try and let you know how i get on.