1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of buying Rel Stentor(Having now KEF PSW3000)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by michel1975, Feb 1, 2003.

1. michel1975

michel1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

Does someone experience with a rel stentor3?
    I own now a KEF PSW3000, but it's not going very low.
    I think of buying a stentor because it will be going till 9 Hz -6dB...

Greetz, Michel.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    michel1975
    Thats an in room measure and their page says -6db 11hz.
    But as said before, in what room?
    Im sure it's a very good subwoofer, but those figures are misleading.
    BTW, whats your budget?

3. michel1975

michel1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the quick reply.
    I bought a house and that room will be 5 by 6 meters.
    I can buy the stentor cheaper and will pay 3000 euro.
    I have read the review on the rel homepage and think it will be a good subwoofer.

4. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The REL is i very good subwoofer, no doubt.
    But if yoy really want a sub you can feel, not just hear, i think you'll have to look elsevere IMO.
    But i have not heard that REL (i have a Q400, but don't use it anymore), only read about it in mags and here.

For 3000 EURO you can almost get a Velodyne HGS18, look here. The shipping will add some to the price though.

I have the HGS18 and if you want a sub that really get's down under 20hz, this is it. It is flat to 12,5 hz, and thats measured in a a anechoic chaber (dead chamber). BTW, it's now THX Ultra2 approved aswell.

If you do a search for hgs18, or godzilla (uncle erics name for the hgs18) you'll find a lot of info on this sub.

Good luck.
    Hans

5. michel1975

michel1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanx for the info!

I will look for some more information about them.

Greetz, michel.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 300 watt amp with a 10" driver, am I missing something here because for £2500 I sure as hell hope so :rolleyes:

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah, the ST range starts to get really pricey (as opposed to fairly pricy) after the Storm III. I think that the Stentor uses the same Volt driver as the Storm, which is £1500 cheaper? I know the Stentor has an elaborate cabinet, but to me, something doesn't add up. Perhaps someone can explain the price hike?

Russell

9. michel1975

michel1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price is indeed very high for a 10' driver. í have red about the stentor but can't find the real secret. Maybe someone who owns one, but they are likely hard to find.
    There is not so much information on the internet. Exept the review on homecinemachoice wich is very positive.

Michel.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a stentor 1, I know the 3 has much better connections etc, but it is seriously outclassed by the servo subs like Velodyne. For the same money Eric will do you a great HGS 18 which is like chalk and cheese. In the days when you only had to go to 25 Hz for music they were okay, for AV / DVD, not anymore, they just look seriously expensive.

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't Charlie Whitehouse replace his Stentor (not sure which version) with an HGS-18, he didn't think much of the REL. I've never owned a REL sub but they seem to come in for quite a bit of stick on this forum, they can't be that bad as they have a good name in the States at even higher prices than here.

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    REL aren't that bad. Personally, I have owned four REL subs: Q100E, Q200, Strata III, Storm III. All except the Q200 have been superb units, and I have only sold them for financial reasons or that rare disease: upgraditis. Like I said, after the Storm REL's prices go through the roof, and because REL have a good rep people still buy them.

Russell

13. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I did replace my Stentor II with a Velodyne HGS18. It would be wrong to say I didn't think much of the Rel. In the early days when I bought it, I was very impressed. It had a great reputation. It seemed to go pretty deep and in a more 'musical' way than some of the other alternatives at the time, like the little Sunfire True Subwoofer. But gradually I came to realise that much of what I was hearing with the really low bass was actually harmonic distortion rather than the fundamental.

Play a 10Hz tone through the Stentor and you could hear it when you shouldn't be able to. What you got was not the fundamental, but all kinds of harmonics and the 'chuffing' of the port. Try that with the Velodyne HGS18 and you literally hear nothing at all. Nothing! However if you feel the doors and windows (all over the house I may add), you become aware that an awesome amount of energy is being released because you can feel the glass and frames moving. This is true bass. :rolleyes:

Installer09, who bought my Stentor II off me was equally impressed with it over his previous Storm III (I think). Second-hand, it represented a worthwhile upgrade. It's a good sub, but the improvements as you go up the Rel range now are not sufficiently earth-shattering (literally) to justify the price hikes.

Michel, if you truly want to get down to 9Hz, the Rel just won't do it convincingly. The Vel HGS18 would have a pretty good go, so would the HGS15. Or you might want to consider 1 or 2 Paradigm Servo 15's assuming you could get hold of them.

Better performance can be had for less money than the Stentor 3. All IMHO. :smashin:

14. cajunlab

cajunlab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charlie,
    Would you recommend the HGS18 if music is 70% and HT is 30% as compared to the Stentor III?
    Thank you.

15. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all of you. How does the Revel B-15 compare to the rel and velodyne subs. Did any of you compare?

16. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cajunlab,

It is hard to give you a definite recommendation here. You really need to try them for yourself in your system. You don't say what processor or amplifiers you have, but given the price and quality of your speakers, you must be driving them with something pretty serious! :smashin:

The only advice I can give is to take some of the reputation of REL with a pinch of salt, and certainly look past the snob value. When Richard Lord started, there was little competition and they produced some of the best subs around, but time and technology has moved on and sadly REL hasn't kept up. They are still good subs but not outstanding, and even at UK prices for the Stentor 3 they do not represent good value for money, let alone at the inflated prices you seem to have to pay over there for them. (We have similar problems with the prices of some US gear over here! :( )

With your budget, I would look for a good servo-controlled sub like the Velodyne HGS18 or even the Martin Logan Descent. These will produce much lower distortion and in my view produce much tighter and cleaner (& more musical) bass than any of the RELs (which are NOT servo-controlled). However, some do prefer the sound of the RELs because the bass is more obvious. It comes down to a matter of taste. So if I were you, I would arrange to borrow a few of these subs from some dealers and have a play with them in your system. One other thing to be aware of is that some servo subs do make some background noise. Trying them in your own room is the only way to decide if this is going to annoy you with music.

Happy hunting and do please let us know which you choose in the end. :hiya:

17. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Charlie. At this moment I still have my Rel Storm and B&W 600 serie speakers on a Denon AVC-A1 SR but the upgrade fever has taken control over me. I am looking at decent power amplification (Rotel, Parasound, MF, Bryston), better frontspeakers (B&W CDM/Nautilus, Revel Performa Series) and a better Subwoofer than the Storm (Revel, Velodyne, Teufel). I dont know how the Teufel sub is: http://www.teufel.de/fra_subwoofer.htm

I will check it out.

18. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have two stentorIII's in my setup and am pretty happy with them. charlie is right to say that the stentorII used to produce audiable harmonics at 10hz but the upgraded port design has rectifed this.

I cann't comment on the HGS18 as I won't hear (feel) one until a go back over to the states next week. My only concern here is the ability of subs to intergrate into what is formost a music setup. The rels are, in my opion the best at this. I even managed to partner one of the stentors with a pair of Nautilus 800's I am using in my Hi-Fi room, they certainly didn't disgrace thenselves (mind you they also didn't add alot :))

As i said the version three is an entirly differnt animal to the those that came before it. In the end you need to audition both and see if you can feeeeel the differnce ;)

Phil

19. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    Apart from it's other atributes, one of the greatest strengths of the HGS-18 is it's ability to seamlessly integrate with any system you care to mention. I've encountered different speaker systems (both sats and almost full range) with nearly every installation that I've placed a HGS-18 in. They have all been very easy indeed with this clean beast.
    I even managed to integrate (as has Charlie Whitehouse) a pair of these in a full blown Martin Logan set-up. These electrostatic monsters are very sensitive to both positioning and peripheral equipment least of all to something that is there to "sing along" and effect the end results of it's sonic's.