Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

thinking of buying rear centre speaker and need some advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by matt bellamy, Jun 21, 2004.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I have a yamaha amp capable of dts-es 6.1 sound and currently have 5.1 speaker setup. The speakers I have are Acoustic solutions with the big floor standing front speakers and large center and rears. I have read on the forum that most people recommend buying the same make of speakers instead of a mix and match approach but would it be ok to use a satelite speaker (one used for all-in-one home cinema packages) rather than a large wooden type speaker for the less important rear-centre spreaker or do I need a speaker similar to my left & right surround speakers.

thanks

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I dont think there is any hard or fast rule about that. Some people use centre's as rear centres and some people use normal speakers. Ive used both and not really found either has any advantage over the other. The only difference is that I was using bipoles as the 3 surrounds not direct facing speakers.

3. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think that it depends on what you are using the centre rear for. If just for effects then a 3rd rear speaker would do, if for speech then a 2nd centre speaker is better.

Is this an opportunity to upgrade your front centre and use your original front centre speaker as a rear center?

4. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be used for effects so will probably go for a 3rd rear speaker. Does it need to be similar make and size to my other 2 rears?

5. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was always told that it was better to use the same drivers.