Thinking of buying first projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Saldawop, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Will be on a budget.Looking at the HD65 , paired with a PS3 for Bluray(although may have to leave the PS3 for another time and just use my Samsung HDMI DVD player for the moment).

Now to my dilemma.I live in a flat with a fairly small lounge . I would have approx 11ft from the PJ lens to screen.Cannot really ceiling mount as the ceilings are not that high and tbh it would be right "in your face" as you walk into the room. At the screen end there is a rather large piece of furniture which stops me from either projecting onto the wall . I *could" mount a pull down screen to the ceiling I guess but not sure how well that would go down with the other half.Having never seen a PJ screen in the flesh ,or at least never really taken notice of one, how big is the box the screen actually rolls up into??Also at the screen end of the room is the TV,which would be to the side of the screen in the corner of the room.
    What options would I have WRT a temporary set up (screen wise)and what size image could I obtain?
    PJ would sit on a coffee table as and when needed.

Or does it all sound too much of a hassle?Would only be used a couple of times a week,if not less.

Oh and seating positions?? One would be more less next to the PJ , the other would be about 8-9ft from screen.

2. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Not sure how much you know so sorry if this is a bit simple.

Screens come in a number of types of mountings, sizes and materials.
    The screens generally roll up into a box about 100mm square by the width of the screen. Normally the box is white. So fairly other half friendly.

Mountings:
    Wall mount.
    Ceiling mount.
    Floor standing, tripod type, you can normally adjust the bottom height of screen as well as screen size.
    Floor standing, the case sits on floor and a pole slots in to it then the screen pulls up from floor.

As for size of image/screen this depends on the projector lens and the distance from the screen to the projector. I think if you have a search for projector central they have a projector distance - screen size guide. Most projectors have an adjustable zoom that gives you a range of distances that will give the same size image. eg for an 6ft wide screen the HD65 would have to be between 9ft3inches and 10ft2inches from the screen.

Screen material: Screens do vary in how much light they effectively bounce back to the viewer. This known as Gain, basically a standard screen is normally a gain on 1 but you can easily get screens wit a gain of 1.4. You can also make a diy screen. Look in the diy section or the projection screens forums.

Maybe you could have your projector on top of your large piece of furniture, that way its easy to use. If you mount it upside down and set that in the menu you should get a good image. Reason to mount upside down is that ideally the projector lens should be level with either the top or the bottom of the screen.

I would say then the most convenient screen for you would be either of the floor standing ones as they can be removed from view when not in use so no other half issues :)

Hopefully this gives you some ideas?

3. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Thanks Ched, unfortunately due to the layout of the room i.e position of doors etc the PJ will have to be sited at one end of the room, and that end only ,so cannot use the large piece of furniture as a makeshift stand.
    Ideally a screen that can sit on the aforementioned piece of furniture(its a sideboard/display cabinet that my mother would like,God knows why we have to have it :rolleyes:).Have been reading the screen forum and quite liked the look of the nuvu screens,though I remember a small pop up tent my kids had..ended up chucking it because it never went back in the bag :D), but their website doesnt seem to work, and read a thread which mentioned them going out of business??Wall mounted is out because of the piece of furniture, tripod could be a goer as could pull-up.

4. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Must say I didnt think about it for too long, bought the HD65 today:D.Unfortunately in the room where it is going I dont have either a screen or a blank wall to project onto. Set it up in the hallway with my Xbox 360 (no sound though) ,directed onto a very pale green wall.WOW is all I could say ,really did not expect it to be that good straight out the box, cannot wait to see it set up with a proper screen.BTW are there any settings I need to change from new?

Must say I was expecting it to be a bit of a lump ,couldnt believe how small it was . Ceiling /wall mounting my be an option.

5. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Congratulations, I am jealous :) You could temporally put up a white sheet in your lounge till you get a screen :D That way you might be able to get a reasonable image in your lounge while you wait for the screen. It also gives you the change to see how big an image you want.

Have Fun.:thumbsup: