1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking of buying a Pioneer 1014i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wallzy, Mar 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    as title wondering if any one could give me there experiance with this amp the pro's/cons of the amp also i have a few questions
    1.does the amp have on screen setup display
    2.whats the amp like for music is it as good as the yamaha
    3.is it worth the money

if any one could answer these for me would be very greatfull

thanks
    Wallzy

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hiya matey

1: Not sure on this, but I believe it has setup via the TV for majority of functions (I could be wrong though)

2: If you like fast and bright, very attacking music then it is very good, if your tastes are more laid back, then something else may be in order.

3: Definitely :)

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I owned a 1014 for a week to compare with my Denon 2805. I've ended up keeping the Denon but to be honest the sonic differences between them were tiny IMO.

I prefered the look of the denon which suprised me as on the internet I liked the Pioneer better. The Pioneer is a couple of cm's longer (deeper) as well, so if space is in issue....

I had the Denon for a couple of weeks before I got the 1014 so I was well used to the Denon sound. I swapped over to the 1014 for a few days, watched a few dvd's etc.

On judgement day I played a number of dvd's, CD's, and MTV stuff on the Pioneer then swapped over to the Denon. BTW the girlfriend was also enlisted for testing duties (much to her pleasure..)

Our joint results were that the Denon sounded a bit cleaner, and appeared to have a bit more oomph. I can't give any more technical explanations than that really, as I am not an expert. Overall though there is very little difference between them IMO.

I suppose what I am saying (eventually) is that rightly or wrongly, the Denon 2805 is a very well received/reviewed piece of equipment, so for a slightly cheaper price you can't go far wrong with 1014. Also, I do believe that the 1014 is exactly the same as the 2014i but without the I-link. The 2014i costs around £800 retail.

So yes I would say it is worth the money, sounds pretty good in stereo (I doubt as good as Yamaha) and yes it does have an on screen menu setup thingy. I used it via component but I believe it works via s-video also.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,135
    there's a 1014i for sale right now on this very forum

5. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for the replys with out sounding "snobbish" i would prefere to buy the amp new, do you know why the amp is for sale :confused:

sarll

not sure if you have read my other thread but ive had 2 denons go bang on me so im not to keen on paying the money to another denon thanks for the comparison thow

would any one else recomend any other amps for around the same price as this amp that i could compair to

thanks dean walls

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The only four non denon models I can think of in the same class as the 1014i are the Yamaha 750 and 1500, and the Marantz models SR5500 and SR7500.

You could look at NAD too, but the closest sound to the Pioneer will probably be the with Yamahas, while you will get a closer sound to the Denon with the Nad and Marantz models.

7. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the pioneer 1014, found it clearer and indeed more powerfull than the Denon here,2805 ,and also better imho than the Denon 3805 as well , that it was tested in the shop against , in fact the dealer told me that most prefere the pioneer and they sell more of them than most others in that price group as it is so good for its low price, my bro also bought one and he is also so pleased with it ,very very powerfull and so well built imho. also tried/had a Marantz 7400 for a month but sold it as it was also a great receiver but a little too laid back for film dvds but as good as the pioneer for audio / cds , the pioneer is a bargain and yes ive heard the denons can have probs and under warranty repairs reading the forums and my mate who is a dealer in hi fi / cinima gear has mentioned that Denons can show up with various silly little odd problems,and have to be exchanged/repaired more than is normal but then they sell a lot of denon because of there good reviews that in his view he finds surprising sometimes , best to try before you buy but the pioneer is the bargain at its low price though imho abnett. :smashin: :rotfl:

8. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i think i will be buying the pioneer the weekend i have found a shop on the internet that has the amp for £449.95 inc VAT the shop is just up the road from me is this a good price for the amp

i think the one thing that i will miss from the denon is the 7 channel stereo :(

thanks to all that replyed you have been a big help

wallzy

9. a1rajput

a1rajput

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 1014 has 7 channel surrond sound ! dont think different from denon? I have 7.1 system ie 6 tannoy revolution speakers and big revolution centre, and Bk 200 sub sounds superb with all 7 speakers on or 5.1 still sound great , its called extended mode on the pioneer they recommend it, and in that mode all 6 speakers and centre are all on sounds great that way for cd, or sky tv, or even vcr, , honestly the pioneer is such a bargain but thats only imho though, and it seems im allowed one ! :clap:

11. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes check ! because a lot of there stuff seems to be sold ex demo or mostly opened box , nothing wrong with that maybe if you dont mind?, seems the adds they put in in" what hi fi " show a large % of there stuff like that , but saying that i bought 4 of my six big tannoys there not long ago ,they where cheap half price, BUT brand new and the service and postage arrangements first class . Abnett.

12. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chances are it will be ex-dem. I have rang hyperfi a few times over the last couple of months to check stock and prices of their 'supposed' bargains. Every time they have either had no stock, or the item is ex-dem (even though it doesnt say so on the ad!). I'd stay well clear of Hyperfi. Don't know how they get away with it.

13. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    a1rajput thanks for the heads up about the price
    we have a superfi shop in birmigham town i think might pop in and see what they have

abnett26247 you have just made me a very happy man (about the 7 chanel stereo) thank you very much
    now my heart is set on this amp just got to try and get out of work on saturday to pick one up

wallzy

14. justin@hc&b

justin@hc&b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    ello wallzy dont know if youve seen this 2011 in the classifieds seems like a total bargain in my book even tho you dont like second hand ;) http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191658
    btw ive got nothing to do with the seller incase you were wondering

cheers justin

15. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    8itchmaker thanks for the heads up with the luck ive been having at the minute i think ill stick with new
    once again thanks

wallzy

16. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its a great product at a good price and i dont think you could be disapointed with the receiver, it is well built and a german reviewer gave it an exellent 6 marks for every thing it does out of 6 , and thought it the best at the price range its in and even up some, his funny remarks included "It goes like hell" meaning its very powerfull and it really is, hope you enjoy a great product imho , I am very much,rgrds abnett :thumbsup:

17. goatlips

goatlips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [Hi,
    How about a second hand VSX-D2011 for £300?

QUOTE=wallzy]8itchmaker thanks for the heads up with the luck ive been having at the minute i think ill stick with new
    once again thanks

wallzy[/QUOTE]