thinking of buying a new camcorder - questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by vkilljoy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. vkilljoy

vkilljoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear colleagues,

as I am thinking of buying a new camcorder I have the following in mind:
    1. I consider high definition very seriously as it 's the technology trend
    2. I would prefer the hard disk as the recording media since you get rid of the recording tapes.

SONY and CANON use the AVCHD format.
    My question is the following:
    when I want to connect the camera to a PC to download the material to the PC for storage / editing etc, how is this process being made ?
    Does the PC see the camera as a hard disk and you can just copy the files to PC, or the PC needs to have a special software loaded in order to get the AVCHD files from the camera ?

Thanks in advance.

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    yes you need software that will handle avchd have a look at sony hdr sr5 edit hd query quetion below.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    In terms of copying the files, you can just copy them (yes Windows will see the directory structure on the camcorder). But you need software to edit them or play them. The camcorders do come with some basic software. And you'll need quite a powerful PC.

I would prefer the hard disk as the recording media since you get rid of the recording tapes

That's fine, just consider how you will backup all your videos, and why you want to get rid of tapes. Tapes are actually a very reliable storage medium, so with tape you have an instant archive/backup (the tape). Also that AVCHD is more demanding on the PC to edit and play than HDV, and the quality on the HDV cams is slightly better.

To me, the best reason to go HDD (or flash memory) is if either a) you are not planning to edit on a PC, or b) you need fast access to specific clips. Also if size is important (the HDV cams aren't exactly large, but the non-tape ones tend to be smaller, especially the flash memory based ones).

Is there a reason you prefer HDD over flash memory?

4. vkilljoy

vkilljoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer HDD over tapes because tapes cause problems and generally maintenance is a headache. On the other hand, flash memory is quite expensive so far and I cannot see the reason why you should have flash memory while you can have a HDD which can store 5-6 hours of shooting.

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Fair enough. I've hot had any problems with tapes, but they do have moving parts.

HDDs also have moving parts and can fail, which is an advantage of flash memory in my view.

6. tredders

tredders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was in the same position as you, and thanks to the advice given in this forum, I decided on the Canon HG10 (£549 from Empire Direct). It's an excellent bit of kit - quality is amazing, and it's very easy to use (although that could be down to years of using Canon dSLR cameras, and getting used to their menus).

Not sure if you're using a Mac, but iMovie auto-detects the camera and shows thumbnails of all the clips. You can then import all or just the clips you want. Simple as that.

Any questions on this particular model, give me a shout.

Mark.

7. vkilljoy

vkilljoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Canon HG10 is a very good choice indeed.
    How do you archive your videos ?
    Do you process them (adding music etc.) ?
    How do you play them back (do you use the camera or have something else for playback) ?