Thinking of buying a JVC X500. Couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Wilt, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

Do you still need to clean the prism to maintain brightness and do the bulbs flicker after few hundred hours use in low lamp mode.

These were the only two issues I have with my HD1 which otherwise is a fantastic projector.

Thanks

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,525
    I haven't had much dimming at all with my X500 (or previous X35 which uses the same lamp) so I don't think prism cleanup is an issue these days. Not that it was hard to do when I had a HD350.

I haven't had any experience of flicker either unlike my HD350. I got to around 650 hours on the X35 and it had barely dropped 10% light output. Similar for my X500 though it's still under 400 hours but has barely dimmed at all from the 40 hours that were on it when I bought it.

Coming from a HD1 I think you'll be very impressed. My X35 was a good step up from the HD350 which in itself was better than the HD1 I saw demo'd.

3. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Kelvin. Good to know that I can use in low lamp and not experience flicker. At the times when my HD 1 did flicker, I would switch to high lamp mode to get rid of it. But as its close to my head, the noise could be distracting.

4. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Hi Wilt

Out of interest, do you have a purchase lined up already? I'm semi considering getting one of these myself, but the new ones seem to have sold out so I expect I'll be on the lookout for a second hand one.

Cheers

5. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi. I'm also on the lookout for a second hand one as well. If one pops up somwhere and the price is right I'll pick it up, but I'm in no rush.

6. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Jag at Epic home cinema had a nice used x500 with very low hours.

7. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Hi Kelvin

Just wondering whether you had got round to demoing the X5000 yet, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it vs the X500 you have now.

Cheers

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,525
    Not yet; I'm avoiding it for now as I'm buying a new AT screen and more subs to install during a rebuild so won't have the budget for a PJ change for a while. My room will be a lot better afterwards though in terms of contrast improvement, so at least I'll get more out of the X500.

9. i_raz

i_raz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Don't think there is much difference between the 2 at 1080p. However the 5000 is much brighter and slightly better with motion. It's very good with 3d. Not really tried the HDR yet so not sure how much of a difference that will make.