Thinking of buying a 4k TV, need help with surround sound?

Chezz

Novice Member
Hi guys, first post on this website.

Basically I've recently started renting a property and was looking into buying a 4K television, specifically the LG 55LA965W (I'll provide a link at the bottom) and I was a little unsure on setting up surround sound with it. Would the standard 5.1 Surround Sound system suffice? I've seen a couple of "4K surround sound" systems online and wasn't sure of the differences between a 4k surround sound system and a standard 5.1 surround sound system. Also if any of you could recommend any systems for me that would be much appreciated, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to home cinema systems, I would just love to be able to set one up in my home.

Thanks a lot for the help

Chezz

Link to the 4k TV - LG 55LA965W Smart 3D 4k Ultra HD 55" LED TV Deals | Pcworld

Its not so much that you need 4k Surround Sound but the AVR (AV Receiver/Amplifier) has to be able to handle 4K video. As the source (BluRay, SKy etc ) plugs into teh amplifier via HDMI and then onto the TV.

Though obviously Sky and standard BluRay players arent 4k however the right AVR Amps can upscale to 4K.

An example of one we recommend with our installations is a Yamaha RX775 (£395 on offer at some retailers) and Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers at £699

I would advise avoiding the all-in-one packages that include BluRay, Amplifier and Speakers as speakers are generally poor with these.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The RXV775 only incorporates an HDMI version 1.4 interface and while it can scale and ouput 4K resolution video it will not fascilitate the passage of 4K Ultra HD content. Ultra HD is now the standard for 4K and this means 4K content with a 60Hz frame rate and compliance with HDCP 2.2. Only devices equiped with HDMI version 2.0 or higher will allow for 4K 60Hz and have the correct chipset to allow for HDCP version 2.2 support. If looking to future proof yourself then you need an AV receiver with HDMI version 2.0. There's no standard for 4K disc based media as yet and it is debatable as to whether the studuios will actually ever allow 4K content to ever be distributed via anything but the internet? Anyway, if a Ultra HD Blu-ray standard is agreed upon and if the studios do decide to distribute anything via such a medium then you'll need at least HDMI version 2.0 to take advantage of it.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
First question has to be 'Why 4K?'?

'Would the standard 5.1 Surround_system suffice?' - some examples of what you have in mind along with room dimensions, seating layout and overall budget are required.

You have to achieve a balance between audio and video within your budget - overspending on the Display makes no sense (esp. if you have no '4K' content) if you are then limited to an inferior audio system.

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
Oh ok sorry about that, I thought that the TV upscaled natively?

Yes, the TV itself will scale all content of a lesser resolution to 4K so that the image fits the display panel. Whether an external scaler makes a better job of it is debatable and heavily dependant upon the scaler in question? Budget AV receiver only utilise cheap scalers, probably no better than the scaler already found within your TV?

The audio currectly associated with video content is no different to the audio prior to 4K, but the new HDMI version 2 spec does allow for expansion on this and any new standard for Blu-ray could effectively introduce new audio standards as yet not supported by any hardware currently available. This shouldn't really be an issue for you seeing as you'd be unable to view UHD encoded Blu-ray content on your 4K TV so you're not likely to go buy a UHD Blu-ray player if one ever becomes a reality?

The audio and the video are two diffeent entities. The video passes through an AV receiver while the audio is processed by it. You do not need to do anything to the audio in order to display 4K video on the display. Do you want an AV receiver simply to scale video to 4K or do you want surround sound irrespective of this?

If just wanting to view content scaled up to 4K on your 4K TV then you need not worry about the 4K scaling abilities of an AV receiver. Lesser resolution content is scaled by the TV itself to 4K and this is done without using an external scaler.

Last edited:
As i think your main requirement is the audio experience I think the Yamaha 675 at £299 offers good value and you should now consider the speakers which as a very rough rule of thumb should be twice the amount of the AVR, so around £600 in your case.

So a decent spec package for £600 is a good starting point and then you can decide if you want to spend more on speakers that fit your taste

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom