Thinking of adding a fan controller...thoughts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 134693
  • Start date

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a Corsair 540 case which I love. I want to keep it running on air and have recently swapped all the stock fans for the corsair quiet fans but its still a little noisy for my liking.

I'm thinking of adding a lamptron fan controller, does anyone have any experience of using one and do they help reduce the noise of the fans?

Also what are you thoughts on mounting one vertically rather than horizontally due to the 5.25" arrangement on the case?

Thanks
Mark

I think fan controllers are good for certain situations like getting the right voltage for a water pump or if a motherboard has minimal fan support but I prefer automatic fan speeds.

Also mounting the controller vertically would be fine, maybe something subtle like this but not mesh (not sure if mesh would work):

Sentry Mesh - NZXT

Using PWM I have both (small ATX case) 140mm case fans run at 850~rpm with the CPU fan, once I start doing something intensive and the CPU reaches 50c, the fans slowly speed up to full speed if needed.

If I wanted to use more fans one of these would do the trick:

Akasa Thermal Solution

This way I could control 3 fans on one header but not risk overloading it as power is drawn from the molex.

:smashin:

Last edited:
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

This is the one I was looking at getting...

Lamptron FC5 V2 5.25" Bay Fan Controller - Black [LAMP-FC0052H]

I'd need to run 3 140mm fans from it. I've got a h100i fitted too but don't think I could use this to control them although is have to look properly as I can't remember how they're wired up.

I'm hoping to knock the fan speeds down a little as it's still too noisy for my liking at present and runs nice and cool.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Based on a quick search the H100i uses 3 pin fan connections which means they're voltage controlled and should work fine with the Lamptron. The Lamption claims to support up to 30W per channel as well which is more than enough to drive a few fans per channel. The limits of voltage based fan control comes down to how much heat each channel can handle, i.e. The more the voltage is decreased to reduce the RPM's the more heat is generated.

If your motherboard provides decent PWM control that could be a better option as suggested by cokker. With PWM you don't have to worry about heat and you actually use less power when the fans are slowed down as opposed to just turning it into heat (as per voltage control).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom