Thinking of a second cam! Nex5N?

Pete Delaney

Ok, ok I know, what's wrong with my current camera and why do I change them more often than my undies etc:eek:

There's nothing wrong with my compact but I am sorely tempted to have a second cam that can produce top notch IQ when needed.

I could wait forever for new sensor technologies to bring compacts up to APSC image quality, but I don't think we are within a few years of that happening just yet.

So the next best more compact style camera is probably the Nex5n. It's not small (not with a zoom lens on it) but is certainly smaller and lighter than a full dslr. I would consider just having one lens on it and no more. I guess it would be the 18-55mm.

Are there any better options in the micro dslr world? I'm not sure Olympus can match the Sony sensor?

Just food for thought, Xmas is coming after all:devil:

AMc

Distinguished Member
I have a Canon compact that lives in my coat pocket and goes everywhere with me - used for stills and video and the odd arty shot that presents itself.

I also have a Pentax DSLR which I use for more arty photos and goes with me for trips out and family events when I'm prepared to lug the case, lenses etc.

If you can afford to keep the compact then I would pick up a full size DSLR - I don't really see the point in the mirrorless changeable lens cameras myself but I'm sure they suit plenty of other people.

Pete Delaney

I have a Canon compact that lives in my coat pocket and goes everywhere with me - used for stills and video and the odd arty shot that presents itself.

I also have a Pentax DSLR which I use for more arty photos and goes with me for trips out and family events when I'm prepared to lug the case, lenses etc.

If you can afford to keep the compact then I would pick up a full size DSLR - I don't really see the point in the mirrorless changeable lens cameras myself but I'm sure they suit plenty of other people.

Thanks for your thoughts :thumbsup:...I am a compact/small camera fan and I think it's the way of the future... As far as a full DSLR goes, I've been there and don't wish to go around that circle again:p

Pete

HelloMoto

I've got a NEX5, it's pretty handy when I don't fancy taking my main camera out and about. Only thing that would improve it is smaller lenses as the 18-55mm is a bit bulky, but the NEX-5N looks even better so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

twist

Distinguished Member
I've got a NEX5, it's pretty handy when I don't fancy taking my main camera out and about. Only thing that would improve it is smaller lenses as the 18-55mm is a bit bulky, but the NEX-5N looks even better so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

get the 16mm and a few manual focus lenses, pretty easy to use with peaking.

Last edited:

Pete Delaney

Maybe the new Panasonic,due soon :)

Yeah.... It looks stunning, but costs quite a bit more and the sensor isn't as big as the Sony. Bang for buck I think the Sony offers a great deal! The Samsung is another option but again, I'm not sure the IQ is as good. I have to get the cost down a bit or lend Santa some money in order to reach the Panny..... I don't think it's worth it in comparison to the others. If it had a built in viewfinder then that would be the crunch for me!

If only the Nex 7 was a bit more affordable too:rolleyes:

HelloMoto

get the 16mm and a few manual focus lenses, pretty easy to use with peaking.

I've already got the 16mm, it's decent quality, but not up to something like the 20mm f/1.7 ASPH on the Lumix system. I have put my Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH on it and the Zeiss 25mm on it with an adaptor, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having autofocus when I have an M9 for manual focus.

The Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 prime is probably what I'll go for when I upgrade to a NEX7 when they get here next year.

DolbyDan

Like you mentioned sensor techs, don't underestimate the G3, GX1 or especially the GH2 sensor, smaller, but worse, absolutely not!

Even the GF3 with the X lens is an outstandingly small product capable of stunning photos in good light.

McCol

Don't know if this will help much but I've spent the last couple of weeks reading around the web on the different interchangeable lens cameras.

Narrowed it down to the Panasonic G3, Olympus EPM1/EPL3 or the Sony Nex 5n.

Partner and myself went to a shop loaded with a SD card to try some shots to look at on home PC. Took some pics in and outside shop, same settings on all the cameras. All the cameras gave really good image quality but the Nex was the better camera of the pack image wise, a little more clarity and sharpness to the pics, found the Panasonic to be a little on the soft side.

Ended up buying the Nex 5n with twin lens kit, 18-55 and 16mm.

It was a tough choice, had to choose between the slightly better image quality on the Sony or the EVF on the G3.

The Nex feels great to use, gives great results in low light as well and using the 16mm is just as compact as the Sony HX9 that we just sold.

dlw

Standard Member
Don't know if this will help much but I've spent the last couple of weeks reading around the web on the different interchangeable lens cameras.

Narrowed it down to the Panasonic G3, Olympus EPM1/EPL3 or the Sony Nex 5n.

Partner and myself went to a shop loaded with a SD card to try some shots to look at on home PC. Took some pics in and outside shop, same settings on all the cameras. All the cameras gave really good image quality but the Nex was the better camera of the pack image wise, a little more clarity and sharpness to the pics, found the Panasonic to be a little on the soft side.

Ended up buying the Nex 5n with twin lens kit, 18-55 and 16mm.

It was a tough choice, had to choose between the slightly better image quality on the Sony or the EVF on the G3.

The Nex feels great to use, gives great results in low light as well and using the 16mm is just as compact as the Sony HX9 that we just sold.

How are you finding the Nex5n? I have managed to source one for £599 (twin kit) going to collect Monday 19/12. I have read most of the reviews and don't understand why it only gets 4 out of 5 stars in most, if this camera was out 18 months ago I think it would have beat every full DSLR out there.

Cheers

D

shotokan101

Banned
How are you finding the Nex5n? I have managed to source one for £599 (twin kit) going to collect Monday 19/12. I have read most of the reviews and don't understand why it only gets 4 out of 5 stars in most, if this camera was out 18 months ago I think it would have beat every full DSLR out there.

Cheers

D

LOL - I've told you a hundred quadrillion billion times not to exaggerate ;)

shotokan101

Banned
Which bit was I exaggerating about :) NEx5n for £599 (+£50 cashback) or 18 months ago bit :smashin:

I have read most of the reviews and don't understand why it only gets 4 out of 5 stars in most,if this camera was out 18 months ago I think it would have beat every full DSLR out there.

It's got a good sensor but even an ardent Sony fan like myself wouldn't claim that....

;)

dlw

Standard Member
Ok maybe i was a bit over zealous in my post but if somebody offered you a camera with the specs of the nex5n for sub £600 18 months or so ago how quick would you get your wallet out? And do you think most reviews would give it top marks?

Pete Delaney

Well.... the best camera is the one that's right for you. :smashin: All are a balance or compromise in some way or other and that balance is also unique to individuals.

I like the Nex5n very much, but perhaps it may not offer the best balance of performance and functionality for me. I would also love to spend many thousands on the very best SLR and lenses, but again that would be a huge amount of camera and lenses that would probably only be used on dedicated shooting days.

That's why the compact in your pocket is so appealing as it can be with you all the time. But again that's not the complete answer. Which is probably why those who are fortunate enough have a multitude of cameras for ALL occasions:eek:

With Santa coming soon I hope those who are hoping for, or getting a camera find it provides the balance of performance and functionality that they're looking for.:thumbsup:

Jammyb

If I could have the sensor from the 5N, the AF system from the Nikon 1 series (believe the sony AF is the slowest mirrorless) and the lens selection of the Micro 4/3 system, the sensor shift IS of the olympus. Oh and the body and EVF of the NEX-7

That would be as near to perfect a camera as ever produced I reckon.

Is that really asking too much... :p

And I want the whole thing weathersealed and to cost £500

Pete Delaney

If I could have the sensor from the 5N, the AF system from the Nikon 1 series (believe the sony AF is the slowest mirrorless) and the lens selection of the Micro 4/3 system, the sensor shift IS of the olympus. Oh and the body and EVF of the NEX-7

Ok.... fetch me a hammer, some nails and a screwdriver... oh, best have some sticky tape too:p

I'm with you though... if only we could 'pick and mix' it would put the camera manufacturers out of doing so much business..... hang on a mo'.....:eek:

twist

Distinguished Member

Big +1.

springtide

Distinguished Member

+1

Must admit, now that I have used the NEX-5 a little more it's growing on me.

In terms of AF Speed, it's not the fastest at all, but a lot faster than the Oly E-P1 I had. It also has the advantage (unlike the E-P1) to focus silently.. which made the E-P1 unusable for video.

I would hope the newer Oly's are better than the original E-P1.

Lens choice is an issue on the NEX. In some ways I like the fact that there is limited lens choice... as I don't really want to invest in a second system.

But in terms of side... I think the NEX size cameras make sense if your bigger camera is FF, but the size appeal would be much less so if you had an APS-C as it's bigger brother.

The problem with electronic gadgets, is there are usually advantages with having them big, but a disadvantage when you have to carry them around.
So they are always too big as well as too small ;)

Jammyb

springtide said:
In terms of AF Speed, it's not the fastest at all, but a lot faster than the Oly E-P1 I had. It also has the advantage (unlike the E-P1) to focus silently.. which made the E-P1 unusable for video.

I would hope the newer Oly's are better than the original E-P1.

All the latest olympus cameras claim to offer the fastest AF ever, though the Nikon 1 series is faster now I believe.

Only the 1 series can do continuous AF worth a damn though. Which rules out most systems if you're into any kind of sport photography.

What I do like with contrast AF is the total absense of lens front/back focussing issues.

Regarding noise, that's down to the lenses not the camera, so you could have got quieter lenses for your E-P1, the panasonic kit lens is pretty quiet.

All the new zoom lenses coming out from Olympus and Panasonic are built with video in mind and feature near silent AF and zoom.

dlw

Standard Member
I bought the 16mm/18-55mm kit today but haven't had time to try it, the first battery charge takes a dogs age, and I should be wrapping it as its is a sort of prezzie for the missus (we both can use :) ) but I am certain I will have a little play since its the first dslr (CSC) I will have used.

12harry

Distinguished Member
dlw;
My own NEX5 (earlier version, otherwise similar) takes 4-hours to charge an exhausted battery. I attach a sticker to the charger so I know what to expect.... then the light goes out. DYOR.
I don't recall ever using the 16mm lens - it does have the latching feature for a Wide-attachment; however, I bought one v.cheaply recently and it fits the zoom - you can cover the whole roof of a decent size hall. Personally, I'm not convinced these attachments are worth the money - but for what I paid, it's a bit of fun. . . .

If it's HER prezzy, then let her open it! . If you open it first it's not quite the same.... is it?

I use mine for video - about 95% of the time . . . . and bought a lens adaptor to take my old Nikon camera lenses - so far it's worked a treat with 50mm f/1.8 (Wow! in near darK!) and a 200mm f/3.5 - that behaves like a 300mm on full-frame. Needs a tripod like a brick-wall. Sony lenses AF is silent.
However, for close focusing/tele lens you'll need a loupe on the screen - made one, and it works a treat even in sunlight. Pity Sony didn't want to sell one....

EDIT: Loupe in Video-mode, or with non-sony manual lenses. The "magnify" feature uses the "focus ring" and magnifies the image 10x for sharp focus, although it can be a shock if touched accidently. This does not work in V-mode but NEX5 does V-Auto-focus if req'd. The LCD screen is "difficult" in sunlight, hence a shade/loupe which cost me next to nothing.....that 16mm lens is a waste of money IMHO - use the cash for Batteries/Memory and a leather case.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution