Thinking....converted into action. TX-P65VT50E ordered from Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Zizzler

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I did it! - I've bought myself a 65" VT50 from Elektronik Shop - Computer, Haushalt, Multimedia - gnstig bei comtech.de for £2607.39 including all taxes and delivery.

Some bulletpoints for anyone thinking of the same:

a) Panasonic UK and IRL have confirmed (after a telephone call to them twice) that a unit purchased in Germany is eligible for support and warranty claim in the UK. Just make sure you keep hold of the paperwork.

b) The unit purchased offers an out of the box 2 year warranty under an EU directiv

c) The following steps were taken for purchasing via Bank Transfer:

1. Opened an account with XE Trade via XE.COM - £0.00
2. Transferred funds via EFT from my current account to my XE Trade account - £0.00
3. Transferred funds from my XE Trade account to the DE Bank account for Comtech - £0.00

**I had the choice of paying via Paypal but I opted for BT.

d) The order was facilitated by the Comtech account management team. The account manager assigned to me/my order could speak very good English and added me on MSN, making communication even easier

e) I was able to receive an additional discount for 5 euro by liking the Comtech Facebook page

f) Comtech will accept returns and will offer the consumer a 14 days cool off period (EU Law).

g) Any issues that may occur will be dealt by Comtech but I am likely to redirect my queries to Panasonic UK.

h) Current lowest price for the VT50 = £3349.97. I have made a saving of £742.58

i) There will be NO additional charges incurred (for e.g. import tax/duty etc.)

j) Comtech is a reliable online German retailer. Research will reveal 100's of positive reviews from consumers via sites like Qype. They also have an eBay shop with exceptional feedback. Comtech frequently cater toward many EU countries - check their shipping page (use Google Translate via Chrome)

The funds are currently being transferred to the DE bank account through Barclays who is the prefered UK bank used by XE. This process will take 3-5 days.

The waiting game begins.....

I will provide further updates as and when I have them.

Good luck to me and anyone else thinking of importing.

P.S. EXTRA BONUS - Your German language skills will improve. Guten Ahend!

Last edited:
Well done you for having the courage of your convictions, I hope it arrives in one piece and you have no problems with it. Say it arrives with a dodgy pixel for example, what would you do? Panasonic UK wouldn't want to know so I assume you'd have to return it to Comtech and hope they'd replace it but it sounds like it could get messy and expensive. Anyway I'm a born pessimist lol, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread (not that I'd do what you've done but just for interests sake).

Cheers
Andy

Well he's got 14 days to check for everything!
Good luck - although I hope you won't need it.

Well done you for having the courage of your convictions, I hope it arrives in one piece and you have no problems with it. Say it arrives with a dodgy pixel for example, what would you do? Panasonic UK wouldn't want to know so I assume you'd have to return it to Comtech and hope they'd replace it but it sounds like it could get messy and expensive. Anyway I'm a born pessimist lol, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread (not that I'd do what you've done but just for interests sake).

Cheers
Andy

Panasonic UK will deal with it in the same way they would with any other TV. There is no difference in the warranty terms and conditions between EU and UK (trust me, it took a while to read the small print)

I am not sure what they are likely to advise but a dead pixel (for me) means a manufacturing defect, which should be resolved by P-UK under warranty.

Who knows, they might even replace it with a VT50B! Now that would be a result.

And for you Mr. Pessimist:

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

:)

Last edited:
Nice one Zizz, the power of positive thinking in action, hats off to you mate, I'm on your side here dude and I really hope you have no problems like the one Andy highlighted, thinking about it, if I was offered 1 with 1 dodgy pixel for that price I'd snap off the arm of the company making the offer.

For the amount of effort you have put into this you deserve the saving and the luck. Fingers crossed for you mate.

...and it's still £400 cheaper than currys with a valid voucher.

Nice one Zizz, the power of positive thinking in action, hats off to you mate, I'm on your side here dude and I really hope you have no problems like the one Andy highlighted, thinking about it, if I was offered 1 with 1 dodgy pixel for that price I'd snap off the arm of the company making the offer.

Cheers Mr. Fish.

The saving cost alone would go toward a full calibration, TV mount and any labor involved in mounting the TV including channelling the walls.

Anyone know a good mounter/channeller...I came across these dudes:

TV Wall Mounting Service, Plasma LCD LED Smart TV Mounting

Anyone had any experience with them? or know of anyone better?

For the amount of effort you have put into this you deserve the saving and the luck. Fingers crossed for you mate.

Cheers brother! Ah hur huh!

Had to get one of these badboys especially after that TPS meetup! Need to watch me my free copy of Avatar 3D

Really hope it all works out for you.

Before you have it calibrated have a look at the THX setting, on my panel this preset gives an excellent image and mine is from the previous generation.

The Panasonic TX-P65VT50 is endorsed by the THX group, pointing both to a hopefully impressive picture performance and some onboard THX picture presets - one designed for a dark cinema installation, and one aimed at brighter room use.

Last edited:
We'll all the best with it, after dealing with Panasonic over two sets I really hope you don't have any issues, I regretted buying from a dealer 180miles away let alone another country.

Before you have it calibrated have a look at the THX setting, on my panel this preset gives an excellent image and mine is from the previous generation.

The Panasonic TX-P65VT50 is endorsed by the THX group, pointing both to a hopefully impressive picture performance and some onboard THX picture presets - one designed for a dark cinema installation, and one aimed at brighter room use.

If there's one thing Ive learned from the TPS meetup, its that THX mode is good but a calibrated PRO mode is better.....far better.

The green tinge in the boobs is all I can remember in THX before the Lumagen was applied to it.

We'll all the best with it, after dealing with Panasonic over two sets I really hope you don't have any issues, I regretted buying from a dealer 180miles away let alone another country.

Just out of curiosity, why would you feel anything toward the dealer? Isn't it a Panasonic issue (obviously I dont know what the issue actually was)

Fair point Zizz, on a panel of this class the pro calibration is prolly well worth the cash, oh how I want one of these, I'm watching the JL site for the eventual price cuts as the model approaches the end of it's lifespan, I am patient:devil:

Fair point Zizz, on a panel of this class the pro calibration is prolly well worth the cash, oh how I want one of these, I'm watching the JL site for the eventual price cuts as the model approaches the end of it's lifespan, I am patient:devil:

I wish I had the same patience too mate but we've been without a TV for over a year! Everything we've been watching thus far has been via a laptop, 19" TFT or visiting family.

If I hold out til Jan, I know I won't want one because Ill end up wanting a VT60 or whatever the next Panny model is and that is likely to set me back at least £4 G's.

It's time to buy and the time is now! Especially at £2.5K for a beasty 65".

Last edited:
I wish I had the same patience too mate but we've been without a TV for over a year! Everything we've been watching thus far has been via a laptop, 19" TFT or visiting family.

If I hold out til Jan, I know I won't want one because Ill end up wanting a VT60 or whatever the next Panny model is and that is likely to set me back at least £4 G's.

It's time to buy and the time is now! Especially at £2.5K for a beasty 65".

Rodger that, I'm in a good spot the TX-P50G20 is no slouch PQ wise so I can afford to wait, I could not watch TV/Movies on a Lap Top and I like to hold the remote:D so I understand where you are at mate:)

Rodger that, I'm in a good spot the TX-P50G20 is no slouch PQ wise so I can afford to wait, I could not watch TV/Movies on a Lap Top and I like to hold the remote:D so I understand where you are at mate:)

Did you not attend the TPS meetup bud?

I missed that one, looks like a good event, I'll keep my eyes open for the next one they hold, was it well attanded?

Last edited:
I missed that one, looks like a good event, I'll keep my eyes open for the next one they hold, was it well attanded?

It was an excellent event hosted by a great bunch of guys. The food was amazing, the information was bar none and the TV's looked awesome. Everyone was easy to get along with and all in all I would rate it a very successful event.

The 65" beast was show-taker. It was absolutely astonishing. It made the ST/GT models look pants when the blinds were opened to let light in.

Last edited:
It was an excellent event hosted by a great bunch of guys. The food was amazing, the information was bar none and the TV's looked awesome. Everyone was easy to get along with and all in all I would rate it a very successful event.

The 65" beast was show-taker. It was absolutely astonishing. It made the ST/GT models look pants when the blinds were opened to let light in.

Yep great event if I had the money I'd have got a set, great service with these guys.

You got too much money Scoobs.

lol I wish! blooming skint me. May look at another set late next year or early 2014...god 2014 lol what happened to all the magga cities and guns with "double whammy" settings?:laugh:...man I feel old.

Good luck Zizz - I hope you won't need to learn any German swear words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom