Thinking about swithcing to Mac....

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by cooey, Aug 21, 2007.

1. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Right chaps

I've been interested in switching to Mac for a couple of years now, but the price has always put me off.... I've since overcome that and am now looking into making the move

I currently have a 17" laptop which I like, but am considering either a 20" iMac or a MacMini....

With the MacMini, I would love to get the 23" Apple HD monitor, but with the extra cost, would it work out better to just go and buy the 20" iMac? Or stay with the MacMini and buy a monitor from somewhere else?€

Will only be using it for the internet, the odd bit of word processing and iTunes....

Any recommendations/help will be appreciated :)

Ta :thumbsup:

2. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Look for a refurb "old" white iMac from the Apple Store - should be a decent saving over the new ali version and to be fair I doubt you will miss the extra oomph from the processor.

Mac Mini is all well and good but by the time you add a monitor, keyboard and enough ram to make it worth while (you need at least 1Gb...) it comes to about the same price....

3. gilford

gilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    As far as I'm aware bud, you would be wasting your money on the 23" HD display, the mac mini isn't good enough to make full use of the pixels :(

4. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    No question, you should definately get a Mac.

You're demands on the machine aren't great, but the basic Mini + 23" screen = £1000 whilst a 24" iMac = £1150

With the Mini you'd still need a mouse and keyboard which are included with the iMac and you get the iSight camera built into the iMac.

Also the £400 iMac doens't have a DVD burner which comes with the iMac and you only get a 1.8GHz processor and an 80GB hard drive. £500 takes you up to a 2GHz process and 120GB hard drive but then you've spent £1,150 on the Mini + screen + mouse + keyboard.

The lower spec 24" iMac gives you an extra inch of screen space, a 2.4 GHz processor, a DVD burner, a 320GB HDD and the mouse, keyboard, built in camera and built in speakers all for £1,150.

I'm thinking of a Mac Mini to sit under my TV but if you're setting it up with a dedicated screen etc... I'd got for the iMac!!!

5. stevo2000

stevo2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi there. You are incorrect on this one I'm afraid. The Mac mini will indeed make use of all of the pixels. The optimal resolution of the 23" is 1920 x 1200, and the Mac mini has an output resolution of 1920 x 1200 via DVI.

I would recommend going for a new iMac to be honest as it has a HD graphics card so will be able to play HD-DVD and Blue-ray disc with HDCP encription when they release them in the future. This would come to a similar price as a Mac mini with a cinema screen.

6. gilford

gilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I was under the impression that to get the full HD effect you would need a much more powerful graphics card? We had one of the first G5 towers and a 23" display and it would not show the "full potential" of the display according to Jigsaw :confused:

We never upgraded as was suggested so I cannot speak from experience :D

I bought a Samsung 32" HD display a month or so ago and hooked the Mac Mini up to it and it looked awful. I then tried my high end laptop with Vista Ultimate and it looked AMAZING :eek:

Make your own mind up, there were no settings in display preferences (even under detect displays) that would select a resolution for the HD Sammy to look good :(

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Only problem is the drive in the iMac will not play hd-dvd/blu-ray discs and is not a user replaceable part ...

That aside the iMac is probably a better bet for you - some good bargains to be had in the refurb store or there was a 24" one floating around in teh classifieds section on here - try this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603899 and see if py6km is still selling if you are interested ...

Jon

8. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for the comments so far guys, keep them coming :thumbsup:

With regards to refurb/classifieds, whatever I decide to do I will be going brand new only...

9. gilford

gilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I changed the drive in my 20" iMac and it was actually pretty easy :thumbsup:

I just bought a slot loading Pioneer DVD burner which was designed for a laptop and downloaded a PDF How to off the net :D

All in all took about ten minutes and a torx screwdriver :thumbsup:

With that in mind, if they ever release an iMac with HD-DVD or BD you could swap the drive :clap:

10. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the new 20'' imac mate.

I've been wanting to go to macs for the last few years but only bit the bullet and jumped in last week.

In sort.......best ever move.

Mac's are amazing. Just hassle free. What's a blue screen of death:D

I never knew computing would be so enjoyable

11. stevo2000

stevo2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

12. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Sorry - yes it can be done and I have done it before but it is not *intended* as a user replaceable part ... also with the new glass fronts to the imacs you need a suction tool to remove ...

Also I wonder how/if the graphics card would cope with hd-dvd/blu-ray ... or are we a generation of imacs too early to worry about this ?

Think there is a blu-ray slot player available now but obviously no drivers for video playback although Toast will recognise it as a 25Gb/50Gb disc to burn data to !

Jon

13. stevo2000

stevo2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon, you are indeed correct that the internal drive will not play HD format discs, but, you can buy firewire drives that will. They are expensive at the moment, but they will come down in price soon.

Also, it is safe to assume Apple will release a HD-DVD or BD drive soon. That is why they are providing video cards with HDCP support. Also, Leopard has a HD player.

Watch closely, Apple will soon be advertising their HD capability. As soon as the Leopard launch is out of the way.

S.

14. stevo2000

stevo2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see anyone making a HD graphics card that can't play HD material. What would be the point?

15. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    I was just wondering if the current ranges of iMac GPUs can cope with 1080p playback or as there is no HD drive whether they will suitably upgrade both components in a revision next year ?

Guess it will be an easier short-term option with the MacPro and a HD/BD drive with a HD player/driver in Leopard ...

16. Bluehorse

Bluehorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've had a Mac for four years now after endless PC crashes and windows related problems.

Mac products are just easy to use and very reliable.

A couple of things:

1. Download firefox browser as safari isn't always compatible with sites
    2. Get "move to mac" thrown in when you purchase, so you can easily copy your files.

Mini Mac is ok if you have a flat screen tv to use, if not get the imac and go for the big screen.

We've got an imac and a brand new macbook, both brilliant.

17. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for all the comments guys... let's just say my mind has been made :D

20" iMac it looks like then...

Only problem is I gotta save the money now :rotfl: I need to see if my nan still gets her discount from John Lewis.... that'll give me a nice saving of 25%

18. Garf

Garf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I'm in a similar position - am torn between the high end mac mini with an additional GB of RAM, or the 20 inch iMac. I was originally set on the mini, but having visited the Apple store recently, the iMacs do look nice (although, if I'm honest, everything looked nice in there :D )

My dilemma is that I only recently bough a 20 inch wide screen (quite a nice one), which would be redundant if I went for the iMac, so I'd have the hassle of trying to sell it.

As far as I can tell (being a total mac beginner), the major difference is the graphics card ?

I only really want one for surfing, e-mail, photo editing and other photo stuff - wouldn't do do much else to be honest. Place games on an xbox 360, so thats not a concern

So, given I already have a screen, would the mac mini do as a pc replacement instead of the iMac?

19. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I can quite happily run CS3 on my macbook so the mac mini should be fine for your purposes.

20. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You can always run a dual screen; tis always a good upside...photo work is so much easier with your library and a full shot visible..

I would not get stressed over the graphics card unless you want to play games - yes, its nice but it does not make that much difference day to day...

If possible I would look at the Mac refurb store for a white imac - cheaper, comes with a warranty from apple at the cost of a slight bit of speed.

21. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Looks like I may be going to get a brand new 20" iMac at the weekend :eek::clap::clap:

Just a question, I think I will go and get it from my local 'Apple Premium Reseller', but a quick couple of questions -

- Would it be better to get it from either my Apple premium reseller or John Lewis?
    - If I was to get it from my Apple reseller store, would there be any room to negotiate a deal with them on getting some things chucked in/cheaper when I go to buy the iMac?
    - Is there anything else I should get on top of what just comes as standard with the iMac?

Looks like my trusty lap top will be on it's way soon (look out in the classifieds :D ).... bye bye Windows Vista.... bye bye Microsoft..... you won't be missed :D:cool:

22. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Guess it depends what sort of relationship you want/will have with your local dealer ... the advantage of JL is the extended warranty they will give as standard on a price-matched product ... but their software/accessory range/support is limited ... your local dealer is probably better placed to do small deals or offer general support/help ...

I'd get some extra ram but order that from crucial.com/uk - much cheaper than apple's - and its very easy to fit yourself and won't void warrenty ...

Jon

23. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for the reply matey :thumbsup:

Is it worth getting the extended AppleCare? And also would it be worth subscribing to .mac?

I'm only really looking to use the iMac for iTunes, videos, photos, the odd bit of word processing, email and of course the internet.

24. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Since they upgraded the storage (now 10Gb) and built better integration for iPhoto/iMovie/iWeb then .mac is a better product - I think most of the new mac users here have been impressed with .mac and have gone on to buy after the 60 day free trial ... (tip - you can often pick up a cheaper .mac subscription pack off ebay if you decide to go for it) ...

With Applecare its a moot point - generally few macs fail with problems - if you buy from JL you will be covered by their warrenty for longer ... but can be handy peace of mind especially if you don't have anywhere local to go for servicing issues ...

Jon

25. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    With the extended AppleCare, is it possible to buy it at a later date or does it have to be purchased when you purchase the Mac?

26. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    IIRC Apple contact you when your original warrenty is close to expiring to see if you want to extend - can't remember if it is any more expensive at that point ? ...

Check apple website http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/

Jon

As well as a full iLife '08 you should get an iWorks '08 30-day trial installed on your imac so you can have a play - again ebay will probably have cheaper s/nos to purchase ...

27. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    In terms of discounts theres not much to be had with Apples!

You're probably best to get it start using it and then think about extras. There are lots of brilliant bits of software to be had, a prime example is Blue Phone Elite. It lets you control your phone through your Mac eg. sending and receiving text messages etc...

If you use Pandora.com for music then you might be interested in PandoraJam...

28. cooey

cooey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I am now the proud owner of a new 20" 2.4Ghz iMac :thumbsup:

Need to go and buy a new computer desk now though :rotfl:

29. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have to admit to being tempted myself.

30. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    When I was in the Apple store speaking to the help assistant I was asked if I knew anyone at all that was a student to get a discount, they really want to save you money :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Great customer service their. Unfortunatly I don't know anyone BUT I do get a discount because of who I work for, although it's now where near the student discount.