1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about moving out with no money, help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by apul, Apr 28, 2005.

1. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello peoples of this forum!
    I need some advice from the aged...ahem I mean wise people of these forums :D
    I am thinking about moving out again, from my parents. Last time I did this, it was to university and was funded by student loans etc, all £12,000 of it :oops:

Thing is obviously you will say get a job etc, which is fair enough. But I am just about to start a work placement with an organisation and this will bring in £60ish per week, which isnt enough and I will have finished by then anyway. Now i will need to stay in this sector but to be honest unless I'm really lucky the only work will be voluntary. I want to do this as close to full time as possible to get as much experience as possible in as little time. Then someone will hopefully employ me.

So do you people have any idea how I could earn an extra income? Preferably from home (I will have internet acess) and on a fexible basis, like doing it on odd days off, Sundays and evenings?

:lease:

If anything isn't clear then plase say so, I will explain.
    Thank you! :rolleyes:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Well, I dont like to be negative but it sounds like you wont be able to afford it.

I have a fulll time job and a house that has low rent because of my job and I can hardly support my family and pay the bills :eek: . (ok ,I can but there is very little left over at the end of the month)

Unless you have a full time income these days, or you can lodge/flatshare with a few others, moving out of the parents house is a very difficult and expensive thing in this day and age.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I think you know the answer to your question already. You can't afford to move out.

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    if your parents force you to leave home, you can get put on an emergency housing list and could end up with a council house, all rent and rates paid within a few weeks if you're lucky. of course it'd be in a nasty area and you'd be very likely to fall into the trap a lot of people in council funded accomodation fall into where it's actually more profitable to stay unemployed..

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As above, having been to Uni you clearly have a rough idea how much living away can cost but unfortunately there's no way to such easy money. :(

6. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    online poker! :thumbsup: (NO)

I don't think you can move out, apul, unless you can get a paying job. I have friends who have found paying placements including a (lucky, hardworking) guy who's getting £17k and travelling expenses. Is this your first job after leaving uni or is it an industrial year which is still part of your course?

How many hours are u expected to work voluntarily? Is there enough time left for a p/t job in a shop or some bar work?

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    If you end up working voluntarily, you can actually still claim Job Seekers Allowance which is only £56.20 per week for 25+. However, you would still need to declare the work as unpaid. Housing Benefit may cover your rent if you made a claim but in all honesty, stay put - it is an expensive game.

I moved into a flat in the centre of Bristol early last year. £470.00 rent PCM (was £495.00 but knocked him down). Council £86.00 PCM. Water and Electric on top which was around £50.00 per quarter. £120.00 per year on TV licence. Contents insurance and all the crap that goes with your own place.

As you can see very little left for food and going out etc.

Hope this helps mate.

Pete.

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I want to move out to!

Well not yet, but after I have finished my A Levels I want too. I am not planning on going to uni.

I would like to stay put, but my mum is so awkward! She complains if I have mates round (not to them but to me before/after), goes on at me about pointless crap, and, worst of all, does let me play my music loud! Seriously, she will tell me to turn it down when it is on the lowest volume it goes to! I think thats about -76db.

HARSH OR WHAT?!

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    mine was worse, she didnt complain too much about volume, but she made me turn off the bass on my sound system because apparently bass "makes her feel queezy". Can you imagine watching a movie or listening to music with the bass turned off? Bloody horrible!

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    McFarfs, everbody has the same kind of trouble when they're still living at home. Unfortunately if you move out before you can afford to then the only place you will end up is back at home with even less money.

11. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeh mine is like that as well. All she worries about is that the bloody neighbours will complain! Its rediculous. I mean, fair enough if i was playing constant loud booming music that would be selfish, but I do try to keep the volume acceptable when I can see they are in! She still tells me to turn it off though!

And feeling rather foolish, I expect¬!

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,461
    You're more likely to make a go of things, if your parents say, "if you go, don't be moving back in again"

13. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Wow, what a response. You should have been watching 'Supersize Me' shame on you ;)

Just to clear some things up, I will be living with 2-3 other people, probably in Heaton in Newcastle, not too scummy, and not too expensive. I expect rent to be between £45-£55/week for me. If I was still on JSA that would be all of it just on rent. I will however look into housing benefit. But I don't hold much hope for this, and to be honest I've had months of scrouning of the state and don't want to do it any longer. And I don't think they'd give me anymore.

I do live in ignorant hope that I will have gained enough experience and in work training to get a paid position by then.

Really what i wanted to know, are there any kind of jobs that are flexible enough for me to fit around my voluntary work, or will I have to just sort this when I come to it. Luckily I have no dependents and very little worth insuring.

Does anyone here do freelance gardening? I've done some recently for neighbors and I like the idea of working when I can. It would suck in winter though.

Thanks for the replies
    Peace.

ps. Mroizouk, I finished Uni last year, and I really want to give a stab at this career, hence the placement until August.

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Wrong.

If you are claiming Income based JSA then you can literally claim it for years. Contribution based JSA which is made up of national insurance conts. from the tax years April 02 - April 04 (two tax years, known as RITYS) would expire after 6 months of payment. You can then complete a review form and claim income based JSA which is a 'means' tested benefit whereas conts. is not. :lesson:

Pete. (captain BENEFIT)

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,461
    Thats what Sundays are for. :smashin:

16. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Thats it! You can get a job in McDs :thumbsup:

Okay maybe not :thumbsdow

Seriously though, if you're prepared to take the rough with the smooth you'll muddle through. There's plenty of part time 'flexible' work around that'll pay the bills. Treat it as a means to an end and you won't get stuck in a rut.

What's the worst that can happen? Just do it :thumbsup:

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Use headphones then and she won't have anything to complain about.

My neighbours teenage kids play their music loud with all of the windows open and it isn't the fact that they disturb the weekend peace and quiet for all of the neighbours that I object too but the awful crap that they insist on playing at loud volumes

18. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    I had the same problem last year Ian, so I asked the council if they could send them a warning letter and a couple of days later it stopped :)

19. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I don't think teenagers understand "consideration for neighbours".. :rolleyes: Then again many adults don't either, but noise coming from neighbours is probably one of the most stressful things.

Anyway regarding part time work apul, you could find some telework projects like data entry that you can do in your own time (as long as you meet deadlines etc.) ?

Have a look at this website and see if it's of any help: http://www.smarterwork.com/
    or http://www.tca.org.uk/

20. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Jenn - agree re: consideration for neighbours. The house next door to me is a student house and I can frequently hear their drum and bass music through the walls. I share a house with other people and despite being a HiFi/Home Cinema buff, I play at reasonoble levels and use headphones after 10pm. Only ever had two complaints from housemates - once when trying out my new CDP and the other time was after a cable upgrade, trying to check for differences.

21. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks guys, and thanks Jenn. I'm looking at them now.
    I've got a while to think about it anyway. :thumbsup: