1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about it - but have so may questions!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by galewis, Jun 12, 2001.

1. galewis

galewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife is doing her nut about my computer taking up one of the bedrooms, the fact that my hi-fi alomg with my old 29" Sony 4:3 TV takes up most of the living room floor space. I was in the market for a new widescreen TV, so we went to our local Sevenoaks hi-fi store to look at their Loewe 32" TV's the other day when the guy in the shop gave us a demo of the Sanyo PLV-30.

I'll be honest... I was totally blown away by the quality of the picture I was looking at. I didn't believe you got get a 6 foot wide picture looking that good for the same sort of money as a 36" widescreen telly. I know this is real bottom-end stuff, but I really was impressed, so that's got to be OK, right? When the guy went on to tell the wife that you can run a PC through it and get it totally of the floor, she was sold. It was only my fear of not rushing in to it that stopped us doing the deal there and then. I'd like to ask you good people a couple of questions. Before responding however, please bear in mind that my budget is just £2500 including screen costs (exc. cables), the wife won't have anything much bigger and/or noiser than the Sanyo PLV30 we saw, the maximum distance between projector and screen would be 3.8 metres, the maximum width for the screen would be 2 metres (inc. casing width), the screen has to be retractable (manual or electric if poss), and I watch mostly 16:9 aspect DVD and Sky broadcasts with occasional PC usage.... OK here are my questions:-
    1. Is the PLV30 at £2000 (best inc VAT price i've seen) my best choice considering the needs of me (viewing needs) and my wife (size and noise needs)?
    2. Will the PLV30 or other suitable projector operate within my room/screen dimensions ?
    3. If £2000 is in fact the best price I can get, is £500 inc VAT for the screen going to get me something reasonable (electric possibly?)
    4. Can electric screens be operated without a remote - the prices for these seem insane (£200+ for a remote!!!??), or can something like a one-4-all be used?
    5. How long is a bulb likely to last me (approx 3hrs usage a night), how much is a replacement liekly to cost, and can I change it myself?
    6. I've seen many recommendations about buying second hand stuff, like a CRT, but to be honest the picture on this LCD looked great to me and also CRT's are much bigger and noisier than why wive would accept, aren't they? - I would be happy to get a second hand screen though if you guys think it's worth it.
    Thanks in advance - with your help I could soon be on the way to home cinema heaven (either that or its a Philips 36PW9525).

Gary

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi Gary,

I don't have the answers because I've only just started to look myself, but great questions and well done for not jumping straight in and buying it. I'm sure Gordon or one of the many other old pros here will be able to answer.

Good Luck,

Jeff

3. galewis

galewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again - I've also seen the Plus U3-880 for the same price - I understand this is a DLP projector that should offer better quality - What do you think about this?

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also am keen to see the answers to those questions....

I have posted before but had no response....but has anyone actually seen the plus U3-880? it is supposed to be great, but the only people who seell it (that i know of) are creation-station and more importantly, I have never heard tell of anyone ever demo-ing one!

Adam

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    <quote>1. Is the PLV30 at £2000 (best inc VAT price i've seen) my best choice considering the needs of me (viewing needs) and my wife (size and noise needs)?
    2. Will the PLV30 or other suitable projector operate within my room/screen dimensions ?
    3. If £2000 is in fact the best price I can get, is £500 inc VAT for the screen going to get me something reasonable (electric possibly?)
    4. Can electric screens be operated without a remote - the prices for these seem insane (£200+ for a remote!!!??), or can something like a one-4-all be used?
    5. How long is a bulb likely to last me (approx 3hrs usage a night), how much is a replacement liekly to cost, and can I change it myself?
    6. I've seen many recommendations about buying second hand stuff, like a CRT, but to be honest the picture on this LCD looked great to me and also CRT's are much bigger and noisier than why wive would accept, aren't they? - I would be happy to get a second hand screen though if you guys think it's worth it.
    Thanks in advance - with your help I could soon be on the way to home cinema heaven (either that or its a Philips 36PW9525).</quote>

I was hoping someone else would answer this...

1: I think you've answered that yourself. It did take your breath away did it not

2: To get a 6ft wide image with a PLV30 you need to have the thing about 12-13 ft from the screen surface to the front lens. I would check this in the shop but I'm sure you are OK size wise.

3: That's a very good price for a PLV30. £500 will get you an electric screen from somewhere. Owl or Draper probably. Good enough for your needs.

4: Most/all electric screens have switches to toggle between up/down. IR controlled relays can be expensive as you've noticed!

5: Changing the bulb is a scoosh. How long it lasts I don't know. I'd expect at least 1500-2000hrs. Replacement price around £200-£250 maybe, need to check.

6: S/H screen might be nice. You might also want to consider just getting a manual screen. It's going to save you a few hundred quid! Who knows, maybe then you could spend the saved money on getting it calibrated properly

;)

All the best,

Gordon