Thinking about having speakers in the bathroom?

phil2009

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a yamaha dsp-ax759se, and im thinking of running some cheap bookshelfs from "speakers 2" into the bathroom, so I can listern to my tunes in the bath??

They need to be waterproof. I use THESE which are fine for background music (the acoustics in a bathroom aren't that great).

If they wernt water proof, will that only damage the speakers, or would damage amp too?? Cos Im only after dirt cheapo speakers to either go on the floor or window sill, well away from the bath??

It doesnt matter how far away from the bath they are , steam will be the issue , and yes if you start to get shorts ( arcs ) across the speaker terminals due to moisture it will damage the amp.

It doesnt matter how far away from the bath they are , steam will be the issue , and yes if you start to get shorts ( arcs ) across the speaker terminals due to moisture it will damage the amp.

Bummer, oh well I'll knock that idea on the head. Might go down the route of waterproof ceeling speakers then. Thanks:thumbsup:

I've got some waterproofed bookshelf speakers...made by German manufacturer Magnat. I believe that the model is "Symbol"

they're pretty damn good and only a couple of hundred Euros tops.

Been looking at waterproof ceeling speakers on ebay and I must say their quite cheap but most are 4ohm and cos all my other speakers are 6ohm, Ive got the amp set as 6ohm, but I dont think the amp will go to 4ohm anyway. So will it hurt if I got 4ohm speakers?

Also been playing with my amp, and when I turn off speakers A, the sub and surround speakers are still enabled?
Its not a big deal cos I can disable the sub and surround speakers from my pc, but just would be nice if sub and surround speakers also gets disabled when you turn off "speakers A"

Last edited:
:thumbsup:Awsome just had a look through the manual, and there is a option to disable the surround speakers and sub when "Speakers A" are turned off. So thats 1 prob solved:)

Believe it or not, if you put wired speakers into a bathroom you might have to tell the council and get them checked to make sure they are safe. They are covered by Part P of the building regulations, and if you put them too close to the bath/shower you might be commiting a criminal offence!

Believe it or not, if you put wired speakers into a bathroom you might have to tell the council and get them checked to make sure they are safe. They are covered by Part P of the building regulations, and if you put them too close to the bath/shower you might be commiting a criminal offence!

No way???

Might have to abandon that idea with ceeling speakers then, cos when they are up , thats it, they cant be removed cos I will have 2 huge holes in the ceeling. Glad you told me.. thanks:thumbsup:

No way???
Yep, bathrooms are considered a 'special location' when it comes to wiring things up. Because you are immersed in water it is very much easier to get a nasty electric shock and special regulations apply. Even from the extra low voltages found in speaker cables, the building regulations apply if youfix the cables.

And it gets worse, even wiring up your speakers in the living room, if the cables are 'fixed', for example if set in the wall, is covered by building regulations. Strange but true. The difference is that you are allowed to fix cables in your living room without telling the the council, this is exempt from notification as the living room is not a 'special location' .

However you should be OK if you are putting speakers in the bathroom ceiling as they will be far enough away from the bathtub to fall outside the 'zones' which determine where the special location exists.

electrics:special_locations_inc_bathrooms_and_supplementary_equipotential_bonding:bath_zone_17th.jpg

electrics:special_locations_inc_bathrooms_and_supplementary_equipotential_bonding:shower_zone_17th.jpg

So anywhere within Zone 0, Zone 1, Zone 2 the special requirements exist. Outside the zones, which is in the ceiling if over 2.25m high, you are allowed to install speakers without having to inform the council!!!

Strange but true.

Id say the ceeling is easily over 2.25m high, so my plans may be still on.:thumbsup:

The whole idea of ceeling speakers is so all wiring is hidden in the loft so it looks tidy.. but thanks for pointing that out.

Updated post

I had to knock the ceeling speakers on the head,,, bummer.

The 2 main reasons for not having ceeling speakers is.

1. my bathroom is located at the same wall where my amp is by but theres a gap inbetween, if that makes sense? and if you poke the wire through the hole, how the hell can you get the wire up from in the gap between to 2 walls when you get in the loft.

dscf0004j.jpg

2. Mum wont let my cut big holes in the ceeling:rotfl:

So my next idea is to order these speakers tomorrow WEATHER-RESISTANT Adastra 100w indoor/outdoor speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo and some 189 Strand Oxygen Free cable. Then run the cable all the way into the bathroom and drill a hole through the door frame for the wires and stand the speakers onto of a cabinet on the opposite wall that my amp is by...

Or a tidier way of doing it is to drill a hole through the skirting board where the amp is by, right though into the bathroom But Im not sure how much of a gap is between the 2 walls, but that would hide the speaker wires better..

Now the OHM prob
These speakers I want to order are 80ohms but my amp is set at 60ohm cos my other 5 speakers are 60ohms. So will the amp run these speakers ok at 60 ohms, or will it damage something?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
how the hell can you get the wire up from in the gap between to 2 walls when you get in the loft.
The technical term is 'fishing' :) Sounds like you have a stud wall.

stud_wall_shimmed.gif

As you can see from that picture, it's possible for you to be able to start at the top of the wall and lower your cable down, then 'fish' for it at the bottom of the wall where your hole is. Using a metal tape measure to capture the cable and pull it through is a good trick. Problem is, if the wall was built properly in the first place, you will have horizontal 'noggins' between the vertical timbers to add strength, and getting past those might be difficult. However, a fair few builders don't do things properly and there is a very good chance they bodged it and there are no noggins in there so you might have a free run. Only real way to find out is to drill a hole from the top through the headplate and see what's down there, making sure of course you measure up first. Twice.

Something like this is invaluable if you are running cable around, every home should have one :)

Cable Rod Tool Box Kit though you get longer and cheaper ones on Ebay.

Of course if making holes in the ceiling has been ruled out then it doesn't matter anyway, but don't let a hollow wall get in the way of your aspirations...

Last edited:
The technical term is 'fishing' :) Sounds like you have a stud wall.

stud_wall_shimmed.gif

As you can see from that picture, it's possible for you to be able to start at the top of the wall and lower your cable down, then 'fish' for it at the bottom of the wall where your hole is. Using a metal tape measure to capture the cable and pull it through is a good trick. Problem is, if the wall was built properly in the first place, you will have horizontal 'noggins' between the vertical timbers to add strength, and getting past those might be difficult. However, a fair few builders don't do things properly and there is a very good chance they bodged it and there are no noggins in there so you might have a free run. Only real way to find out is to drill a hole from the top through the headplate and see what's down there, making sure of course you measure up first. Twice.

Something like this is invaluable if you are running cable around, every home should have one :)

Cable Rod Tool Box Kit though you get longer and cheaper ones on Ebay.

Of course if making holes in the ceiling has been ruled out then it doesn't matter anyway, but don't let a hollow wall get in the way of your aspirations...

Thanks, any idea how much of a gap is there, cos drilling a hole through the skirting board straght onto the bathroom would be idea. But the bigger the gap you have the less chance your going to have getting the wire through the 2nd hole, and plus I dont really want a huge hole for 2 speaker wires. Cos Im in a wheelchair I cant go up in the loft and look myself??

These are an alternative...

KBSound [almost] Invisible Radio for your Kitchen and Bathrooms

Buy KB Sounds Hidden radio from ElectronicZone.co.uk

The amp and speakers fit into a standard ceiling downlighter sized hole, you can tune the radio to pick up a wireless transmitter attached to your amp/reciever, comes with a wall controll unit / remote, can be powered by the lighting ring so easy to connect up and can be set to come on when ever the lights are turned on.

Will deffo think about doing this when I get a place of my own. thanks.

25% done.. drilled a hole through skirting board through into the bathroom, tried a bit of spare speaker wire and it goes through easy...

So ordered speaker cable and these speakers, cos there a tenner cheaper with the same specs of the white ones.. So I just hope I havent bought rubbish speakers??

Vision LU-206 All Weather Speakers on eBay (end time 01-Sep-09 15:30:05 BST)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Got the speakers, but the connections on the back of the speakers are not covered up????

Basically should I seal the connection area up with tape???

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom