Thinking about getting Nevo from Ebay

Sab

I am thinking about getting a Nevo from Ebay. I have a Pronto 980 but the buttons have worn and is not compatible with my current laptop.

Is there anything I need to know about its disadvantages?

I will have to do all the programming myself. I need something that works with a Windows PC running 32bit Vista Home Premium.

Is programming difficult on the Nevo software?

Would you recommend it to me?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Is there anything I need to know about its disadvantages?

You can't run prontoscript modules on it and the NevoLink remote extender for the older NevoSL is not very good, the Nevo Connect extender for the newer Q50 and S70 remotes is much better.

I will have to do all the programming myself. I need something that works with a Windows PC running 32bit Vista Home Premium

It will work just fine on Vista. I am a professional installer and programmer of Nevo remotes and have been doing so on Vista for a couple of years now.

Is programming difficult on the Nevo software?

That's really a very subjective question of which the answer depends on you aptitude to programming remotes in general in the first place. Overall it is very easy to use in my opinion.

Would you recommend it to me?

Only if you are prepared to do so with aboslutely zero support from Nevo, the UK distributor and any dealers. The Nevo SL is supposed to be a dealer supplied/installed product only and therefore you will not get any support from anyone in the industry if you encounter any issues.

Sab

Crustyloafer - if I buy from Ebay I guess I will have to programme the Nevo remote control button by button from all my remotes?

Do dealers have access to a database online that has the remote control devices already programmed?

I guess I will not be able to access the online website for support or pre-programmed remote control devices.

I know with the Harmony 1100 you do not have to do any programming. How do the Nevos compare to the Harmony 1100 or the Prontos?

I have had a Pronto for a few years now but the some of the buttons do not work now and the Pronto is not compatible with Vista.

stoobie

Your current Pronto is compatible with Vista.

You need to install the latest software first, right click on the installer and run as adminitrator and in XP-SP2 compatibility mode (Install BEFORE connecting the remote or ot won't work), you then run the software (as adminitrator and in XP-SP2 compatibility) and then plug in the remote and all should work fine.

You may even find that installing the latest firmware might get the buttons working - Not trying to talk you out of a new purchase, but if you are happy with it and it is only the Vista compatibility issue then you should be OK.

Stoobie

Last edited:

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Crustyloafer - if I buy from Ebay I guess I will have to programme the Nevo remote control button by button from all my remotes?

There is an online database of codes for a wide range of devices as part of the Nevo Studio programming suite. You do however need to have registered the Nevo software as an installer to access these.

I guess I will not be able to access the online website for support or pre-programmed remote control devices.

As I said in my previous reply, the Nevo are supposed to be dealer supplied and installed only and therefore you will get absolutely ZERO support from Nevo themselves or Armour Home Electronics who are the UK distributors. The Pronto range of products are similar in situation are are also only supposed to be dealer supplied and installed and Philips will not provide any support to an end user. As a qualified Nevo and Pronto professional dealer and installer I fully support this stance from both manufacturers.

I know with the Harmony 1100 you do not have to do any programming. How do the Nevos compare to the Harmony 1100 or the Prontos?

The Nevos are directly comparable to the Prontos in most areas, although they are a little quicker and easier to program as the interface is a little less cumbersome than even Pronto Edit 2. The Harmonys do not even come close and are a joke in comparison.

I have had a Pronto for a few years now but the some of the buttons do not work now and the Pronto is not compatible with Vista.

Pronto Edit Professional 2 is fully Vista compatible.

jalyst

Novice Member
although they are a little quicker and easier to program as the interface is a little less cumbersome than even Pronto Edit 2.

I guess this is subjective as I'm sure I've seen over CI's say the inverse of this.
I can't remember specific examples to cite sorry....

Sab

Pronto Edit Professional 2 is fully Vista compatible.

I have the Pronto 980, will that work with this?

Also I think my Pronto is faulty as it is power hungry. Also, I have just bought the Logitech 1100 which has good reviews ... is this a mistake? Should I stick with my Pronto 980 or replace it with another Pronto?

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

You should be fine with the Harmony - the setup is so straightforward that "programming" is an exaggeration for it.

Sab

It is not the programming that concerns me. I have programmed my Pronto 980 myself with no problems but I was after a remote that was compatible with Vista. The Harmony 1100 had good reviews so I went for it.

I think Crustyloafer knows what he is talking about. The Prontos are better than the Harmony ones in my opinion.

My Pronto 980 is so much more advanced and customisable when compared with the Harmony 1100. The macros on my Pronto are without any limits. On the Harmony it is preset.

Maybe sell my Harmony remote?

I will think about it ...

Sab

Crustyloafer - I think possibly something like the Pronto TSU9600 is the way forward. Considering some of the hard buttons on my Pronto 980 are not working.

stoobie

Sab,

Getting a little confused as to exactly what you are now asking in this thread. Your original posting seemed to be saying that your Pronto RU980 would not work with Vista and some of the buttons have worn. Another post says that some of the buttons don't work.

1. Your Pronto RU980 WILL work with Vista. (see my reply on how to install ProntoProEdit NG) It will not work with Pronto Edit Professional 2 (I think Crustyloafer was saying that Pronto Edit Professional 2 worked with Vista, not that your Pronto RU980 would work with it.)

2. If some of your buttons are not working - updating to the latest firmware might fix that issue, and I believe it also fixed the issue of the battery running down so fast! (it won't help any worn graphics though ). You can also get a replacement battery because yours may be coming to the end of its life.

3. The Harmony 1100 is a completely different control to your Pronto - it may look similar but there is no similarity in the programming of it and as a Pronto user you may well find the "Harmony way" very frustrating since it is far more limited than the Pronto. But I always remind people, it is not a case of either being better, just completely different and a personal preference.

4. The macros on the Pronto may be limitless, but do they need to be? Most Harmony users find the macros available do what they need with a bit of tweaking. It isn't often you need 57 steps to get the TV and set-top box turned on lol.

5. A Pronto TSU9600 is an excellent piece of kit, but it is really only worth swapping your current Pronto for one:-
a) If your old one no longer works satisfactorily.
b) If you plan to make the most of the programming possibilities
c) If you don't mind the cost
otherwise I'd suggest the TSU9200 or TSU9400

6. NEVO remotes are not aimed at the end user when it comes to programming etc and trying to buy one new, with the NEVO warranty will be quite difficult without paying an installer for the programming too.

So, are we still helping you with choosing a new remote despite having bought the Harmony 1100, because until you have tried using/programming it you shouldn't listen to anyone telling you to dump it now you have it.

OK, if it doesn't suit then get rid of it, but only you will know if you can live with it.

Stoobie

Last edited:

logiciel

It is not the programming that concerns me. My Pronto 980 is so much more advanced and customisable when compared with the Harmony 1100. The macros on my Pronto are without any limits. On the Harmony it is preset.
I mentioned the ease of "programming" the 1100 because of your original comment "I will have to do all the programming myself....Is programming difficult on the Nevo software?"
Then, how advanced and customisable does a remote control need to be? They're for controlling a few audiovisual devices, not a nuclear reactor. What are macros needed for and how big do they need to be? Most people in my experience who use them use them for turning on and off and setting inputs for a number of devices at the touch of a button. Any Harmony can do that, no matter how many individual actions are required to achieve it. The note "on the Harmony it is preset" needs some explanation, of what you believe is preset and in what way.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom