Thinking about getting a projecter with about £3000 to spend

Coopson

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all I know nothing about projecter's so can I even get a decent setup for just over £3000 the size of the screen I would like would be about 85 inches wide 16:9.

I was thinking of the JVC DLA-X35 because of world cup projector article I have good light control in the room it would go in and I'd repaint the walls if needed.

Any input would be great I have the LG OLED right now that's going back couldn't get on with the uniformity problems.

Also would be nice to know the cons of a projecter other then needing a dark room.

It's certainly more than possible to get an excellent setup for around £3k

If black levels akin to the OLED's advantage over LCD/Plasma are important to you, then the X35 will give you that more than most of it's peers and reward you significantly for optimising the room; dark walls/floors/ceilings as much as possible.

If you are looking for the zip which the OLED tv produced in terms of colours, or want to watch in higher levels of background lighting, then I would say the Sony HW55 or even HW40 would be a definite option - they produce a brighter image than the JVC and would cope better with less projector friendly environments , light walls etc

Don't forget to budget for a decent screen- keep away from the ebay specials and the like. No need to go mad, but it is an important part of the setup and often overlooked.

Main cons of projectors are the need to replace the bulb at £200-300 after 2k or so hours, during which the bulb changes both in brightness and the colour characteristics, input lag is around 10 x that of most flat panels, and there will need to be a biggish lump of equipment on the ceiling. That said, your screen can disappear when not required so you may or may not care.

Myself, I would probably go for the X35 with a decent midrange screen and ask one of the Forum's calibrators to visit me after a couple of months, but there's a pretty strong case for Sony's 40 with a better screen . Either way, you'll pay a lot less for 85" than with flat.

I would recommend a visit to a good dealer first before deciding with your OWN eyes ...

Last edited:
It must be said though! That if your expecting the picture to look like your lcd / plasma does at 3k then you maybe a little disappointed! As its a different looking picture quality yes!! but different................Then there is the question of your throw lens to screen distance and how large you would like your screen size to be , all to consider.

Is it in a brightly lit room or a dedicated dark cave which has been mentioned by mike above.........I'd take down on paper those pj's that have been mentioned and go off and demo demo demo them and others to see which one/s you like!

It must be said though! That if your expecting the picture to look like your lcd / plasma does at 3k then you maybe a little disappointed! As its a different looking picture quality yes!! but different................Then there is the question of your throw lens to screen distance and how large you would like your screen size to be , all to consider.

Is it in a brightly lit room or a dedicated dark cave which has been mentioned by mike above.........I'd take down on paper those pj's that have been mentioned and go off and demo demo demo them and others to see which one/s you like!

Do you know a place where you can demo or any dealers ?

I'm in south Yorkshire but I don't drive so don't think I'll be demoing anything unless you know of anywhere in Sheffield.

There's a JVC DLA-X55 on ebay for £2,995.00 not into the idea of spending that much on ebay however.

so can I even get a decent setup for just over £3000 the size of the screen I would like would be about 85 inches wide 16:9.

What size your room is? I know 85" may sound big to you right now but I'm pretty sure that if you settle for a such small screen you will want bigger quite soon. Other thing to consider is the sound, do you have a sound system, you need a minimum of a soundbar with projector but for movies you really want a decent setup of receiver and speakers.

What size your room is? I know 85" may sound big to you right now but I'm pretty sure that if you settle for a such small screen you will want bigger quite soon. Other thing to consider is the sound, do you have a sound system, you need a minimum of a soundbar with projector but for movies you really want a decent setup of receiver and speakers.

That's 85inchs wide not diagonal and I do have 5.1 its not a sweet custom setup but its fine for me.

Edit: the projector could be 143 inch's away if need be.

Don't know about South Yorkshire, I'm in West Yorkshire myself, but I'd have to guess there'll be somewhere in Sheffield.

If not, then trains run from Sheffield to Wakefield pretty regularly, so you could go to Ideal AV - Al is very helpful.

Steve W

Oh, and if you can go bigger than 85" wide, I would.

I used to own a 175cm wide screen and eventually found it a tad too small. I went to 106" diagonal, which us c.234cm wide, and I wouldn't want to go smaller than that.

Steve W

Here's a picture I've done of the lay out of the room the black squares are walls that stick out and the green & blue are how far I can get the projector the light blue is a door.

Its all in inches.

20tf192.jpg

I'm sure one of the guys could pick you up so you could demo for the cost of the fuel and a coffee!
;) ............12' should be fine for a good 106" 110" screen plus its best to buy local and from someone you can trust and put a face too.:)

Hi

if you are in Sheffield and want to see a projector setup in both a light and dark room then look no further, the advice given to you so far I would take without question before parting with money so a demonstration is paramount

if you don't drive then a train is about 25 mins away that's if you wanted to have a demo here

cheers Allan

Last edited:
That's 85inchs wide not diagonal

Must learn to read all the words

Edit: the projector could be 143 inch's away if need be.

Both JVC and Sony can give about 115" diagonal (which is 100" wide) image from that distance, I would suggest that you buy the projector first and then try to find right screen size by projecting image to wall or white bed sheet and then buy a screen of that size.

Must learn to read all the words

Both JVC and Sony can give about 115" diagonal (which is 100" wide) image from that distance, I would suggest that you buy the projector first and then try to find right screen size by projecting image to wall or white bed sheet and then buy a screen of that size.

Has to be just under 100 because of the door and the other wall has the window I have a good blind but in mid day a little light still comes out of the edges so I wouldn't want the screen in front of that.

you might be too late now to find a jvc x35 as they are a discontinued model

the Sony 40/55 and Epson 7200/9200 should be on your list of projectors to view

Has to be just under 100 because of the door and the other wall has the window I have a good blind but in mid day a little light still comes out of the edges so I wouldn't want the screen in front of that.

Is the window that's on one side! Be Parallel to the screen or in front or behind it.

Is the window that's on one side! Be Parallel to the screen or in front or behind it.

The window will be at the other side of the room facing the screen but I have a good roll down blind and blackout curtains its just a tiny bit of light that leaks at the edges if its a sunny day I'm sure that will be fine if not I can get the curtains closer to the wall to stop the leak.

you might be too late now to find a jvc x35 as they are a discontinued model

the Sony 40/55 and Epson 7200/9200 should be on your list of projectors to view
Can find a DLA-X35BE for £2,199.00 I assume that's just the full name ?

The window will be at the other side of the room facing the screen but I have a good roll down blind and blackout curtains its just a tiny bit of light that leaks at the edges if its a sunny day I'm sure that will be fine if not I can get the curtains closer to the wall to stop the leak.

Can find a DLA-X35BE for £2,199.00 I assume that's just the full name ?
There's no reason why the screen cannot go in front of a window, the majority are backed with a light resistant backing. I must confess I find it difficult to visualise your room from the drawing- must be getting old! Alan is right about the X35- I think they'll become quite sought after pretty soon especially if JVC decide to move upmarket and leave the price point.

And I'm not sure I agree with the comment about projection vs plasma/lcd either, especially factoring in the size and impact a well set up projector can have. I certainly hardly used my flat screen which was set behind the electric screen in my setup...

There's no reason why the screen cannot go in front of a window, the majority are backed with a light resistant backing. I must confess I find it difficult to visualise your room from the drawing- must be getting old! Alan is right about the X35- I think they'll become quite sought after pretty soon especially if JVC decide to move upmarket and leave the price point.

And I'm not sure I agree with the comment about projection vs plasma/lcd either, especially factoring in the size and impact a well set up projector can have. I certainly hardly used my flat screen which was set behind the electric screen in my setup...

The Room is 109 by 183 but it has a chimney wall and a wall from a room next door that stick inwards.

If the x35 is discontinued, do you think its worthwhile waiting to sell my X35 now or later to upgrade to a newer model.

I guess Mike it all depends on how critical your eye is and always using your pj / screen for day to day tv / movie usage will shift your perception on picture quality the more you use it in this way...........I'm not saying it can't come pretty close but definitely not at this price point........................your kidding yourself!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom