Thinking about getting a big toshiba ?

R

robwight

Just a small note to anyone thinking of getting a rear pro tosh,I recieved a 57wh36 recently , was good on arrival,but I done all the electrical/mechanical focus,service alignment/convergence,and now its all done,the picture is well, PERFECT !,finding myself watching crap on the tele just to look at the picture,how sad eh :)..

dvd's are 100% crystal clear,and most sky channels are perfect , better than what i thought they were gonna be,there are some really ****ty channels that are not to great,but all the major ones are fine ( bbc's,movies, sky channels etc etc )

I personally found that using a progressive signal from the component dvd player AND using the prog scan on the tele gave VERY faint wavy lines,so im using a normal interlace image from the dvd to the tele's prog scan and its , well you have to see it to believe it, looks like you can jump in the tele :) , fantastic colour,no blocking/smearing/jaggies/blurrinies.

PLEASE dont make a decision on buying one of these beasties on the curries/comet walk by test,the picture achievable is much better than any plasma i have seen,even set up in peoples homes.

plasma is to , emm, looks artificial ? , In my opinion.

So after much deliberating on what tele to buy (I spend AGES checking this crap out),I have to say,GO BUY ONE !!!! There amazing !

What progressive modes does it accept from your DVD?

Does it accept 480p, 576p, and even 720p?

How does it look under Avia test disc? Can you resolve 6.75MHz cleanly? Any twirly effects in zone plates? Are effects of svm visible in needle pulse or checkerboard? Does it push red? Is geometry perfect in all aspect ratios and modes for both PAL and NTSC? Are grey and colour fields evenly lit? Can you see scan lines?

Agree about plasmas. Any I've seen are noisy and artificially sharp looking (due to pixel edges no doubt). My Sony 44" RP is just about perfect - smooth and detailed with no nasties whatsoever.

RPTVs got one negative thing and that's they are bulky and heavy.

I think that's the only drawback really.

Plasmas are really expensive and i can't personally understand people can afford to pay like £4000 and up for a telly and all you get is 42", it's crazy.

bobones.. the Tosh AVIA performance is really excellent, certainly better then a 36 PD30/ZP38..

Its clear at 6.75Mhz, SVM effect is minimal (and can be disabled, but its not objectionable anyway), its frequency response must be quite good, since you can turn the sharpness to max with no artefacting on the frequency sweep. and it exhibits hardly any red-push, on mine, the red is +15, blue +10 and green +5.. all quite acceptable..

Geometry cam be 100% in all modes, since these are settable per mode via the service level convergence, although I have resized mine for my own preference.. less overscan etc.

As for size, of course.. but the amount of people I see with Plasma's that have to put them on something, and so use a bulky cabinet to stand them on.. sort of defeats the object really...

its all a personal choice, but Rob has pointed out something that is so true, RPTV's look dire in Curry's, soft, unevenly lit, etc etc, yet when you get them home, once set-up, you would swear they beat any direct view CRT... the image quality seems unproportionately high considering the image size...

I'm glad you like the set ROB, another 'convert'.. :)

Rob & Demon
Well done guys on some good informative info on Tosh RPTV's!!

Ive been kicking the idea around for years, then I walk into a Comet or Currys and think to myself....... "What are all these RPTV fanatics raving about???..... these sets all look a load of rubbish.....!!!

And you talk to the sales staff and they say...... "OOOOooohhhh!!!..... theyre not suitable for normal TV watching, they are only OK for playing games on!!".... "Just read "Which Magazine" and thats what it will tell you!!"

I have a little more confidence about getting one now, but being a pensioner its a lot of money to pay out and be disappionted with it!!

If only I could see one thats set up properly somewhere that would help me take the plunge...

There must be some studio type places that I can see a demo at!!
Ill have to have a look around!!

I would love the 57 inch one but viewing distance is confined to about 8.5 - 9 feet.... are the scan lines apparant at this distance??

John

Originally posted by JohnC

I would love the 57 inch one but viewing distance is confined to about 8.5 - 9 feet.... are the scan lines apparant at this distance??

John

John , im viewing from around 14 ft with my 57,BUT,9ft is just as good,when the sets on 100hz there are slightly viewable lines,but you have to concentrate to see them,but on active ( i never use 100hz ) ,or natural/progressive there are no visible lines,even at 2 inches :)

btw Demon , it was your tweaks guide i followed , so many thanks ! , and also cheers for jumping in and answering Bobones questions,I dont know the technicalities,but i know a good crisp & clear picture when i see one!

Take a little advice John , get one and you wont be dissapointed,Im very,very hard to please with things like this and im suprised as i cant imagine a better picture,and thats what counts.

and at 1700 quid there a comparitive bargain.

Rob
Thanks so much, the only other thing is I will probably have to put it in front of a radiator.... I dont suppose you know the implications of that.... a large metal object and some heat??

My current 33inch CRT Tosh TV has sat there for almost 8 years without any problems.

(I suppose i could move the radiater, but would have to wait untill summer to do it!!)

Kind regards John

Originally posted by JohnC
Rob
Thanks so much, the only other thing is I will probably have to put it in front of a radiator.... I dont suppose you know the implications of that.... a large metal object and some heat??

My current 33inch CRT Tosh TV has sat there for almost 8 years without any problems.

(I suppose i could move the radiater, but would have to wait untill summer to do it!!)

Kind regards John

im in the same situation,had a 33" ferguson before,and now the new tele sits right in front of a large radiator,maybe about 2 - 3 inches away from it,makes the 33" up in the bedroom look tiny now,and the delegated 28" wide in the conservatory looks like a portable,and the portable.. ( ok,think im gonna shut up now ).

After opening it up the main ' gubbins ' of the tele lie on to the front of the tele,or a big electronic board on the floor,so radiators no prob. ( btw , I'm not a salesman for toshiba ) hehe

Originally posted by robwight
im in the same situation,had a 33" ferguson before,and now the new tele sits right in front of a large radiator,maybe about 2 - 3 inches away from it,makes the 33" up in the bedroom look tiny now,and the delegated 28" wide in the conservatory looks like a portable,and the portable.. ( ok,think im gonna shut up now ).

After opening it up the main ' gubbins ' of the tele lie on to the front of the tele,or a big electronic board on the floor,so radiators no prob. ( btw , I'm not a salesman for toshiba ) hehe

forgot to add,may try get a photo up soon

Just want to say a huge thank you to Demon and robwright. I've been debating weather to get a rear pro for ages now but was always put off by the picture quality you see on them in currys etc. After reading your reports i decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Toshiba 57wh36 which arrived just over a week ago. I was amazed by the quality of the image it produced from almost every source. Dvd are absolutely amazing.
Anyone thinking of buying one, go do it now!!!! You wont be disappointed.
Thanks again.

Hi, I am thinking of getting one myself, but my viewing distance is a max of about 7ft.... do you think that this is too close?

Hiya, my viewing distance is 8ft and its fine at that so i reckon 7ft will be equally as good. Heres a few pictures if your interested.
room2.jpg

Tosh.jpg

Be warned tho, these sets are massive and it took me 2 hours to get it into the room. The door into the living room is a 90 degrees to the hall and the bloody thing would not go round the bend. Luckily the wall stopping it was the stairs wall that gave stightly when you pushed on it. So it took 3 people pushing on the wall to get it to give enough so that the set would go in. Dont think anyone will be pinching it tho :)

What an amazing thread this is!!

Thanks guys for everything!!

Even more amazing are the similer circumstances we have!!
Im so encouraged to go with this now just hope my front door is wide enough and swinging it around in the kitchen will be OK.

I like your sense of humour Rob.... Thanks

Kind regards to all...... John

Does the 51 come delivered complete, i.e, screen + box.

Ive a bad feeling that if it does it wont fit into my front door let alone up the stairs, which is a big shame.
Was looking at the 46 latest samsung next to the Toshiba 57 and Im thinking this or the 51 has to be the way to go for image/vs price.
But as a 1 piece unit im stuck if crt, rptv cant be brocken up.

Agreed, this is a great thread and those pictures look v. impressive. Hopefully I can put in an order soon for the 57" :D

Just curious... I've read on another thread that the 57" comes with wheels. I may have similar problems manoeuvring it through my living room door space. For those that have the TV, did you unpack it first and then wheel it around, or have it lifted into place?

My 57 came complete (one piece). The set is only 595mm deep so it'll fit throgh a standard door ok. I have no idea about breaking it down into pieces tho.
It does come on wheels so i unpacked it in the hallway and wheeled it from there. The kids layed claim to the box and have now turned it into a 3 bed detached house its that big.
Best thing i reckon is to make a carbaord cut out of the foot print and try and manoeuver that into it final resting place before ordering one.
Mine was going in the room even if i had to take a sledge hammer to the door frame. I'd brought it and it wasn't going back :)

on active ( i never use 100hz ) ,or natural/progressive there are no visible lines,even at 2 inches

No scan lines in Natural or Active mode? On my 51wh36p I can see scan lines very clearly at my normal viewing distance of just over 7 feet - I can even just make them out from 12 feet away, if I really look for them - a white background helps. I always use progress mode in order to get rid of them, however I do then have to put up with some 50Hz flicker. Is my set untypical if I'm seeing scan lines at these distances?

Mikeg247, I have the exact speakers as you!! How did you balance it on the top of the tv? Ive put mine on the floor in front of the tv at the moment.

Theres a big ledge on the top of the tv. Blue tacked it on.
Mike

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 103
On my 51wh36p I can see scan lines very clearly at my normal viewing distance of just over 7 feet
Cjking,
I too see scan lines in all modes except progressive so also view in progressive most of the time.
Mike

A question to the guys who've had their TVs in front of radiators for a while now - have you noticed any problems at all?
I'm thinking of doing the same so it'd be good to hear if you've had any problems, cheers!

Gotta say that the 51" I have is bloody awesome - I just wish I could have got the 57"

And also, never judge one of these by what you see in the shops because they look terrible. I spent about half an hour playing with the 42" before I got anywhere near happy, and even then, because of the multiple feed signal system, it had loads of problems. At that point I demanded a DVD player, then I was sold :)

I'm just hoping that, when the time comes to replace it, flat panel technology will have improved on reliability and picture quality because from what I've seen of recent releases, RPTV's are going backwards.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom