1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about downgrading. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by extremelydodgy, Feb 24, 2005.

1. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have a pair of Wilson Benesch Arcs which are genuinely great. The problem is that I've sadly realised that I can't really maximise their abilities, either in the form of speaker amplification I'm prepared to buy at the moment and also in terms of the volume I can play them at (neighbours to worry about), as well as the frequently chaotic, box-filled state of my living room which is not speaker-friendly.

They sounded so good in my friend's largish, treated living room and I resolved to buy a pair of these (and do them justice). But that was before the reality of using speakers like these in my comparatively poky living room set in, and my custom-built amp was basically written off by a mod gone wrong... so I had to buy a cheaper integrated amp.

It's a wrench, but I'm seriously considering selling these and recouping some money to spend on other things. For the abovementioned reasons I think unless I move to somewhere bigger / more detached I'm sticking mainly with headphones. I can sell the pair to another acquaintance for not a bad loss, and I think I'd be looking at scaling back the replacement speaker budget drastically. Let's say max of £500 for the pair.

I would like it for non-critical listening. Something for a small room, which is capable of sounding reasonably convincing when played at low volumes. They will mainly be for relaxing and DVD use... Any critical listening is done through the phones. The integrated driving them will be a Musical Fidelity A308.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I don't know what kit you're using but PMC make some nice standmounts in your budget. Very nice compact, neutral speaker. Quite wife friendly too! Or possibly a set of Linn Katans? Depends on what you listen to really.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I listen to pretty much anything... metal, classical, electronica. Not married, so decor friendliness / looks aren't an issue (you'll know this especially if you look at my living room :eek: ).