1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about changing speakers.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JIT, Jan 2, 2004.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    At the moment i have Tannoy R3's but feel like a change. I'm still thinking about getting floorstanders but perhaps smaller ones. I now have a Servo 15 and have the receiver crossover at 80Hz and all speakers small.

So as i'm not using my fronts to their full potential as all bass goes to the sub i'm looking for better speakers which don't go so low.

I do like Tannoys and was thinking of either Eyris 2's or 3's. Should the 2's perform as well as the 3's with my crossover at 80Hz and speakers small or will there be other differences apart from the bass extension?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If you have a good sub like the Servo, do you need floorstanders at all? You'd likely get more quality for your money going for bookshelf speakers from a class or two above. Check out Dynaudio Audience, AVI, Monitor Audio Gold or the new B&W 700 series.

I'd also be cautious swopping the R3's for the newer Eyris speakers - a sideways step IMO. The R3's are classy speakers and hold their own in much pricier circles.

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, i've been wondering if i need floorstanders myself. I do want to move up so would quality standmount speakers + the Servo 15 be an improvement?

I'll have a look at the models you mention.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd also recommend standmounters, my next purchases will definitely be standmounters. I've got some big Celestion A2's up front right now with the crossover set to 80hz.

I intend to demo some actives from Genlec, Mackie or BlueSKy (M&K are great too the budget can stretch to it).

Actives offer perfectly matched amplification for the specific driver and havong the amplification so close to the driver is wonderful for detail.

Just a thought.

Mark.

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As long as the standmounts are good quality and go below whatever you have your crossover set at with all bass to sub you won't lose anything compared to floorstanders from the same range of speakers?

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    of course the actives are chalk and cheese to the likes of Mark's A2's...... totally different sounds which cant be compared really. One is hifi, one is studio.....

ad

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's a good point Ad, though we don't know whether JIT's priorities are Music or Movies.

Personally I was blown away by the Genlec actives demoed at the last "Event" to the extent that I'm trying to go all actives in my HT room. I can only imagine they'd be great at music too. My A2's are stunning for 2 channel music (even in my huge room) but the point I was making was that for movies they never go below 80hz and that's a waste of some very expensive kit.

Why buy a car that can go 180mph when you only ever drive it at 70?

Mark.

8. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd say 75% DVD and 25% CD but i do use the sub for both.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    From what I have heard, most people have commented very positively on the Genelec speakers at Event 2 but surely that was because they were expensive speakers rather than the fact that they were active.

I have a feeling that "active" is going to be the hype of 2004 but I am yet to be convinced that a monitor type speaker with a cheapo Taiwanese amp stuck on the back would be better than a decent monitor with a decent amp.

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well im yet to be convinced that these dopey M&K things are better than hifi speakers! :p

Ian is right though..... hype is moving toward actives. Just like M&K are popular (the best speakers many newbies have ever heard..... irrelevant of their never having heard anything....), actives are getting so much publicity from active people that the word is getting around.

I know for fact though..... i like my hifi sound, in fact i love it..... even the active brigade have stopped hassling me! :D

Actually.... to bolt something on the end.... use of actives just spreads your money that much further. Instead of passive monitors, you can get what are being touted as better speaker for similar money (yet have amps included). So its percieved as incredible value.....hell i could have big genelecs had i spent my cash that way! But ultimately, value or not, not everyone will like them.

ad

ps. you forgot to take your hat off....

11. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,156
    LOL:D