Thinking about cancelling Sky and then signing up again later in the year

ParmMann

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Sky+ subscriber and pay £43.50 for all the channels. I have to be honest and say that I find it to be a complete and utter rip off. Unfortunately, I'm really into my footy and as a result need Sky Sports to see the Premiership games. It's a shame I can't get Sky Broadband where I live, if that was thrown into the deal, it might be worth the amount I pay.

I do watch some TV shows (Heroes, Lost, 24 etc) but truth be told, even if I didn't have Sky I could probably download them in HD and stream them to my Xbox 360. That'd probably be better actually, I wouldn't have to wait months for the UK to get the shows after they've already aired in the US. The movie channels are nice to have, but not worth the money in my opinion. The only reason I pay for it all is for the football.

So! I was thinking, the season will be ending soon and then during the summer there won't be much point in my having Sky. What would be the pitfalls, if any, of me cancelling Sky when the season ends and then getting it again when the 07/08 season starts?

As far as I'm aware there isn't any other way to see the football matches other than Sky Sports but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Well if the movies are not worth it then you cancel them at anytime, you are paying for no reason so that drops the price to £37 a month. You can then thin out the mixes to say 2 and that means you are now only paying £34 a month.
Not a criticism but too many people keep paying top whack without even exploring their options.

Back to the question, no problem cancelling SKY at the end of the footy season. The hardware is yours and the smartcard becomes a freesat card and then in 3 months ring SKY and take the cheapest package with the footy.
Remember than Setanta will be offering Prem footy next season so that may be a viable alternative depending how much footy you want since no Prem+ next season.

Thanks for the response Starburst. I've thought about just cancelling the movies for now, but if you've already got the Sports the price difference isn't all that much. The jump from just mixes to mixes and movies/sports is huge. But once you've got the movies or sports, you may as well go all out for that bit extra. But I think you're right, I will explore more options as there are definately some mixes I don't ever view.

Great to know I can cancel Sky without problem, even better to know that my box will still function as a freeview type thing. I don't suppose I'll still be able to record with the Sky+ box though?

I had no idea Satanta would be offering Premiership football next season! Will they then be offering all the games that Sky have? I didn't know there was going to be no Prem+ either, I've got that for this season.

I wouldn't use the word "cancel". Tell them you need to "suspend the account" because of lack of money. Alternatively, drop to the minimum £18 package. Should be less hassle than using the word "cancel"!

Thanks for the response Starburst. I've thought about just cancelling the movies for now, but if you've already got the Sports the price difference isn't all that much. The jump from just mixes to mixes and movies/sports is huge. But once you've got the movies or sports, you may as well go all out for that bit extra. But I think you're right, I will explore more options as there are definately some mixes I don't ever view.

Great to know I can cancel Sky without problem, even better to know that my box will still function as a freeview type thing. I don't suppose I'll still be able to record with the Sky+ box though?

I had no idea Satanta would be offering Premiership football next season! Will they then be offering all the games that Sky have? I didn't know there was going to be no Prem+ either, I've got that for this season.

Hello ParmMann - Setanta will show 46 live Premiership games next season, as well as other sports etc (check out their website). 46 games is approx half the number of games that Sky have (being 92 for the 2007-08 season).
The only thing to consider, especially of money is an issue, is that you could have Freesat and Setanta for a total monthly outlay of £15....
So thats all the regular channels..BBC1/2/3 etc, ITV 1/2/3 etc etc, plus a truck-load of sport for just £15 per month.
I have SKy Sports and have no interest in changing, in that context, it does sound reasonable.

Oh - to answer your final point, all of Sky's and Setantas games are exclusive to that particular channel...no dual coverage.

Ouch! That's a bit of a bummer, is there a list of which games will be shown on Sky and which will be shown on Setanta? Be handy to weigh up the fixtures on both.

Ouch! That's a bit of a bummer, is there a list of which games will be shown on Sky and which will be shown on Setanta? Be handy to weigh up the fixtures on both.

I think Setanta will take over those games that would have been shown on Prem+, its one was way of looking at it anyway.

I presume the schedule will go out soon after the fixture list.

Regards cancelling Sky, if you are going to do it I certainly would use the word cancel. It's likley you'll be contacted in a few months asking you to come back and you'll probably get offered a cheaper rate :). I remember one promotion was a "Lets kiss and make up" package. Can't remember the exact details but I think I got the full package for 6 months at the lowest rate. Even if you don't get it you've lost nothing.

No fixture lists as yet - the premier league don't issue those until early to mid July...
Setanta did state in their press release that of the 46 games they show, 40 of them will feature a side in the top 4 of the league itself.

Setanta did state in their press release that of the 46 games they show, 40 of them will feature a side in the top 4 of the league itself.

At least they are being open about screwing the little clubs and the TV fans of said clubs:)

Do you realise that if you drop down to the minimum package of say £18 then your sky+ wont work as a recorder etc unless you pay a tenner extra a month....I intend to do the same thing and happily cancel Sky once the play offs are sorted.....at least I have a humax to do the sky+ stuff while Sky is cancelled

Do you realise that if you drop down to the minimum package of say £18 then your sky+ wont work as a recorder etc unless you pay a tenner extra a month
I do now! :rotfl:

I'm just going to cancel Sky completely when the football season has finished. For me personally it's just not worth it. I'm not starting to think I won't get it next season either, with football being shown on Sky and Setanta, there is no easy cost effective way of seeing all the games. I think I'll just pop down to the pub for games I really want to see or better yet, stick to the good ol' Match of the Day.

Fortunately, I think that with Virgin TV, BT Vision, IPTV and a whole host of online TV services forthcoming, the whole industry is set for a shake up. Hopefully with all this competition, prices will become more competitive.

Also they need a months notice so any time now will be the time to cancel.....like I say once I know whether we're in the play-offs or not I'll cancel......and I will take great delight in telling them I'm leaving..

Thanks again for the tip, I'll plan ahead now I know I have to give one months notice. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom