1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about buying....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KennyH, Aug 3, 2005.

1. KennyH

KennyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After many years using my Sony VPL-HS1 it has decided to die. My insurance company are going to replace it with the VPL-HS50 (thank god for extended warranties) so I thought I would update a few bits in my setup to compliment the proj. What I was thinking of was the DVDO iSCAN HD+ and Pioneer DV 868AVi DVD Player so I can now have HDMI connection. As I haven't bought any equipment for about 4 years I have no idea about whats good out there at the moment.
    Any comments or recommendations v much appreciated.

2. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello

Personally i wouldnt wate your money on the DVDO I SCAN

i have used it on a pioneer 5200 plasma (42inch) and my BENQ PE8700 scaler and found that i can not tell the difference when its on and when its not!

As for the 868 - mmm - i looked at this before upgrading but went for the Arcam 79 for its music abilities as i swapped a quad 99 cdplayer as part of the deal

In your circumstances personally i would drop the scaler and go for a Denon 3910 which will upscale your dvds (the pioneer is ok but the denon is better) then just add on a sky HD box later this year

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    KennyH

If your considering inserting a Video Processor into your system one of the key factors to consider is the level of support you require from your dealer.

None of these boxes are plug and play they all require good knowledge of your Source Devices, the Processor and your Display Device along with a range of set-up tools to make the most of the Processor.

I'd add a Lumagen VisionDVI (SRP £695.00) or VisionHDP (SRP £1,260.00) to your possibilities list as these have much better support in the UK - and the HDP is a 10-bit processor so quite a step up from the iScanHD+ (8-bit).

The Pioneer DV-868AVi and Arcam DV79 are both ideal 'transports' as they can output Interlaced signals via HDMI - the Denon DVD-3910 is not as it can only output Progressive via HDMI or DVI once its been multi region hacked; plus I have to say the DVD-3910 has to be the most unreliable near 1K player I've come across.

Best regards

Joe