1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about buying the Kef KHT 2005.2 speaker system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hyper_Lite, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Hyper_Lite

Hyper_Lite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is it? I live in the U.S. and can get them for $850 (Speakers only), does anyone have them? How would you rate them on a scale from 1 to 10? How do they sound with movies, and music?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own them, but heard them in my local Sevenoaks just two weeks ago.

They're very good indeed. The sound balance is a little 'forward' and there isn't a great deal of midrange to the sound of the satellites (and despite the insistence of the Hi-Fi press, the subwoofer isn't that much better than the one that shipped with the original eggs). But for their size they're stunning.

Might be worth keeping your CHT-12 subwoofer though ;).

On a scale of 1-10...

6.5 for movies, 5 for music.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not just the hifi press as quite a few forum members have also said that the subwoofer is beefier than the original one.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's beefier, and I noticed the difference, but it's not as good as some have written in the Hi-Fi press IMHO.

5. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a set, albeit for movies only, and find them to be pretty good. I'd rate them as 8/10, but then I value aesthetics as highly as sound, and am not gunning for the total audio experience (small room!).

That said ;

- I went for a different sub

- They are less good for music than for movies, and if you are used to very good sound from your current audio system, I'd question if they would replace it. The music felt a little "flat" or "dead" to me, and like there was a slice taken out of the midrange.

6. Hyper_Lite

Hyper_Lite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    judging from the responses these speakers are junk for how much I would buy them for. What else is in the market that would be smaller or just the same size and have alot better sound?

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hyper_Lite - you shouldn't dismiss them as junk until you've heard them.

My 'Out Of Ten' ratings were only so low because I have truly huge floorstanding 'Conventional' speakers in my listening room and am used to a higher standard of sound quality.

You really should audition them, you're likely to be very pleased indeed. And you certainately shouldn't decide they're 'not for you' before you've heard or even seen them.

8. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I very much agree with Dimmy - try them. You read what I wrote, and I bought them! :)

For movies I thought they were the best blend of size / aesthetics / quality. For music - it depends what you're used to or what you expect.

You really should audition them - given their target of small size, unobtrusive etc they make an excellent balance.

9. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've been using them for several months now and after setting them up correctly (thanks to Kef Ben) the sound is what I would call fantastic with Movies and very satisfying with music (Vinyl and SACD included). Sure they are not as technically proficient as my old Monitor Audio floorstanders ( these had to go following re-decoration) but they give a very good account of themselves with both classical and rock. I continue to enjoy playing music through them and don't see this feeling wearing off yet! I think the quality of your other source components are vital in the sort of sound you will get but I can't recommend them more highly.