Thinking about buying some QED X-Tube speaker cable - Help needed

Duster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking about upgrading my speaker cable to QED X-Tube, but I'm not sure how you would prepare the cable for usage, IE stripping the cable.

I've been over to the QED web site, but it only shows X-Tube with plugs on. I don't really want to use plugs, only the cable itself.
Is this possible?

In normal speaker cable I'd just remove the other insulation, and keep the inner core.Then fit one end to the amp and the other to the speaker. But with X-Tube I'm not sure, as it has so many different layers of many different materials.Which layers do you remove, and which do you keep?

Yes you can use it as straight cable.

Simple cut the thick outer layer insulation carefully with stripers etc.

Next layer is a thin white PTFE layer which needs unwound and cut off

Now you will see the copper wire "mesh" similar to TV ariel coax construction. Pull the copper wire back to reveal the inner core/ spacer (Plastic with siver foil wrap).

Cut the core/ spacer off and bring the copper wire back, twist neatly together and it is ready for any binding post etc.

hi,

Thanks for that, thats just what I needed to know:thumbsup:

I bought some XTube 400 recently for my front and centre channels, I listened with and without banana plugs - there was a big difference in sound quality so went with factory fitted QED airlocks.

Probably my ears, but I could not hear any difference between x-tube 300 bare or airlock terminated.

Might depend on the quality of terminal posts on the amp or how well terminated they were....but everyone to their own.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom